chile-lime grilled veggie skewers

chile-lime grilled veggie skewers // loveandlemons.com chile-lime grilled veggie skewers // loveandlemons.com

Cookouts are not always a vegetarian’s best friend. Over the years, I’ve eaten more dry cardboard-flavored Boca burgers than I care to remember. And for no good reason other than I suppose most of the parties we used to go to were single-dude cookouts. You know the kind: burgers, buns, and beer. Done.

Since my younger veggie days, I’ve learned a few things:

#1: Veggies are (of course) amazing on the grill.
and #2: Make foodie friends and life will be a lot tastier.

Vegetarian or not, these would make a delicious addition to any summer bbq.

Feel free to change this up with using whatever veggies you wish – just be sure to choose ones with similar cooking times when skewering them together. (or make separate skewers if you’re not sure).

grilled veggie skewers

Serves: makes about 6 skewers
veggies:
  • big handful of baby bella mushrooms
  • ½ red onion
  • 1 mango
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 zucchini
chile lime oil:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • splash of agave syrup or honey
  • ½-1 teaspoon cumin, chile powder, smoked paprika, or a combo of any
  • pinch of cayenne (optional)
  • salt & pepper
serving options:
  • extra lime slices
  • tortillas
  • roasted tomatillo salsa from this recipe
  • queso fresco
  • avocado slices
  1. If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before you start grilling so they don't burn.
  2. Whisk together the chile lime oil, set aside.
  3. Preheat your grill (or grill pan).
  4. Chop veggies so that they are somewhat uniform in size and thread them onto the skewers. Sprinkle them with some salt and liberally brush the veggies with the chile-lime oil.
  5. Grill for a few minutes on each side, until the mushrooms are cooked through and a nice char has formed on the edges of the veggies. (About 10-12 minutes total, depending on the size of your veggies and the heat of your grill).
  6. Remove from heat and brush them with the remainder of the oil.
  7. optional: Serve with warm tortillas, tomatillo salsa, cheese and/or avocado slices.

1. Even though I am not veggie, I do adore grilled veggie foods more so than the meat counterparts. I like your choice of veggies; and the mango is a nice touch. Sometimes I like to put pineapple on my veggie skewers and do a sweet and sour stick.
    Anyway I hope you enjoy your 4th of July, I am sure the men could put aside a grill for these skewers.

2. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

My kind of veggies. These look aways, I could eat them everyday!

3. Meg Sylvia from upliftedliving.com on said:

Sounds delicious. My family makes veggie skewers pretty often to go along with a meat main dish, but for some reason we never think to season the veggies with anything more than some oil, salt and pepper. Will have to give this recipe a try!

4. annie from anniereeves.com on said:

can’t wait to try these – yum!

5. Bookmarking this recipe! I’m not veggie, but I’m not always in the mood to eat meat either, which seems to always be the main fare at BBQs. Plus as you pointed out, veggies are so delicious on the grill. Can’t wait to try this out.

6. Love the idea of popping mango on the skewer with the veggies. I just posted jerk paneer and vegetable kebabs with pineapple mango salsa, but maybe I will try it next with mango *on* the skewer, as well as in the salsa. Great idea

ooh, paneer on a skewer… I’m totally doing that next, what a great idea since it doesn’t melt!

7. You are so right about grilled veggies! This looks delish.

8. Crista from peacelovequinoa.com on said:

ooooh yummy!! i’m gonna make those for dinner tomorrow night!! xoxo

9. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

These veggie kebabs look perfect for the holiday weekend! Pair them with some grilled corn and a big cold lentil salad, and you can kiss those boca burgers goodbye. :)

I like the way you think – that all sounds amazing together :)

10. I love this! Reminds me of all the summer bbq’s we have here is Oz. We’re lucky that most people get pretty creative over here with what they’ll grill – veggies are always on offer, and usually some grilled haloumi cheese as well.

That chile lime oil sounds like such a great marinade for the veggies – so bright and full of flavour!

12. I love love love veggies on the grill. It’s one of my favourite things to do because it’s so easy, delicious, and they’re amazing leftover tossed with a cous cous or any grain! Keep the amazing recipes coming :)

thanks sophie, will do :)

13. I never understand why people don’t grill more variety. Grilling is so easy. And the cleanup is painless! Why wouldn’t you add some veggies!?!?! I feel like I have eaten so many dry Boca or Morningstar burgers/hockey pucks over the years that I can’t even imagine buying them, cooking them, let alone eating another one.

ha yes… my feelings exactly :)

14. Trisha from sugarthumb.wordpress.com on said:

MMmmm. I love a bit of veggie on the barbie. It is very underrated you are right. I know its terrible for others… but i love garlic grilled.. but in foil.. I am a bit of a garlic lover.

x

oh me too… (I also roast it in the oven that way when I’m roasting veggies inside). I love how much more mellow the garlic becomes.

15. petal and plume from petalandplume.blogspot.ca on said:

this recipe is some kind of wonderful! summer perfect.
    xx

16. Crista from peacelovequinoa.com on said:

Made these – loved – currently my favorite summer meal!

yay, so glad!

17. Pingback: Weekend Links | Sip Savour Share

18. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

I couldn’t agree more with all of your sentiments – one of my favorite things about grilling out is the veggies! I love grilled peppers, corn, zucchini…you name it! Beautiful.

19. Pingback: And the Golden Chile goes to… | The Chile Trail

20. kidney disease from clarinet-club.com on said:

Useful details. Hope to see more good posts in the future.

21. Pingback: Day 2 of the Local Food Challenge — Vancouver Is Awesome

22. Pingback: outdoor dining: chile-lime grilled veggie skewers | peace. love. quinoa

23. Pingback: peace. love. quinoa