lemony pea pesto

IMG_0005-cropped

My husband Jack can’t tell a lie. Not because he’s any nicer than the rest of us, he’s just incapable of it. For example, if he made this for me and wanted to hide the fact that it’s made almost entirely of peas, it would go like this:

Me: yum, what’s in this?
Him: um… well not peas, that’s for sure.

It’s endearing, really. He’s the most trustworthy guy you’d ever meet because he doesn’t know how to be any other way.

So now that this post is going up, the cat’s out of the bag and I have a teeny confession to make… Jack, I lied. Remember this pesto we ate for dinner (twice) last week? Totally all peas. But you liked it and never knew….

lemony pea pesto // loveandlemons.com

So there.

lemony pea pesto

Yield: makes about 1 cup

lemony pea pesto

• 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed (or fresh ones, blanched)
  • handful of mint and basil
  • 1/2 clove minced garlic
  • a few big squeezes of lemon juice (to taste)
  • 2-3 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese*
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • top with: lemon zest & red pepper flakes

1. Pulse all pesto ingredients together in a food processor. Taste and adjust.
  2. Serve on grilled crusty bread drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with garlic.
  3. (also good on pasta, in salads, etc...)

Notes

*vegan sub: swap cheese for pine nuts or walnuts

1. Jaclyn from loveandbellinis.com on said:

Mmm this looks so good. I love just about anything on crusty bread, and this seems nice and light for summer.

2. robyn from robynsafricanadventures.blogspot.co.uk on said:

I know I would love this ( no lie!)as I love pea and pesto soup!

3. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

Haha! I lie to my family all them time about what they are eating. In this case what they do not no will not hurt them!
    This looks so good!!

Lies of love :)

4. Pingback: Five Good Things & Newsy Bits: Tuesday | justb.

5. Ginnie from HelloLittleHome.com on said:

This looks so delicious and summery! Can’t wait to try it.

6. Jack's sister on said:

Ha! I currently have a basil plant that’s going nuts — if you’d like some let me know. Where are you getting your peas these days? I actually like them, probably moreso because kid-Jack used to push all of his onto my plate. :-)

ok I’ll come over :). If you notice, I’m using mint is in everything lately because my basil hasn’t work out so well this year… I got my peas from the freezer section at whole foods. (totally busted, thanks)

7. Katie Brigstock from katieskitchenjournal.com on said:

This looks delicious! So fresh, light and health:) I also love the styling of your blog!
    Katie x

thanks Katie :)

Ha, I think I’ve had similar conversations with my boyfriend. Love the vibrant green of this.

9. Hahahah! I do this to my husband allll the time. Surprise, you hate olives and I just finely chopped them and added them in… You had no idea and you loved it! This pesto is so bright and beautiful.

Ha, you’d have to do that trick on us because Jack and I have a collective dislike of olives :)

10. Pingback: SCOUT. | Mouthwatering : 04.

11. Sarah from thesugarhit.com on said:

I love peas! And I love pea pesto! Your husband sounds like a darn sweetheart. My man is all to easy with the “shades of truth”.

yep, he is :) I guess I’ll keep him…

12. petal and plume from petalandplume.blogspot.ca on said:

your blog is my most favourite .. i hope these recipes never stop
    xx

ha, thanks :). Best comment ever!

13. These toasts look amazing, the green pings out making them look extremely inviting. Lovely photographs.

14. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

That is incredibly sweet and endearing. Peas + love.

15. Pingback: Have a Delicious Weekend

16. Pingback: Everything Awesome This Week | justabiteatatime

17. Pingback: Peas in a Pod ¶ Suppers From Scratch

18. Pingback: Spinach, Macadamia Nut and Basil Pesto | MoBitesFood

19. Pingback: Weekend Shut-In Worksheet: See “Maleficent,” Read Some Fierce Erotica & Make Pea Pesto | sexynewz.com

20. Pingback: Weekly Menu: June 9 to 13 | Cara Smusiak