shrimp po’ boy with mango

shrimp po' boy with spicy mango / loveandlemons.com

I’m sure fried food is exactly what you thought you’d see here today. But, you know, we’re only human and sometimes we fry things. Well, to be clear, Jack fries things. I sit back with a glass of wine and watch. It’s a hard job, but someone’s gotta make sure he doesn’t burn the house down.

Pictured is shrimp, but he also made a tofu version using the same method. I mixed up a tangy sauce by pureeing mango with kewpie mayo. (You could use regular mayo or even vegenaise if mayo isn’t your thing). We ate these with sliced mango, shredded cabbage and some chopped chives.

shrimp po' boy with spicy mango / loveandlemons.com

This recipe is part 3 of my Mangover series for the Mango Board.

shrimp po’ boy with mango

Serving Size: 4

shrimp po’ boy with mango

• 16-18 medium raw shrimp, peeled and devained
  • 4 5-inch pieces of fresh baguette
  • 1 small mango, sliced (reserve 1/3 cup for mango mayo)
  • 1/2 cup each, green and red cabbage, shredded
  • 1/4 cup chopped chives
  • extra cayenne for dusting on top
  • spicy mango mayo:
  • 1/3 cup chopped mango
  • 1/3 cup mayo (or vegenaise)
  • generous squeeze of lemon
  • a few pinches of cayenne
  • salt & pepper
  • for the shrimp:
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or more)
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup milk (any kind)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup panko (or regular breadcrumbs)
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • oil, for frying

1. Make the mayo: Mix everything together in a food processor. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to serve.
  2. To fry the shrimp: In a small bowl, stir together the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne and pepper. Toss it with the raw shrimp and set aside. In another small bowl, combine the egg and milk. In a medium bowl, stir together the panko and cornmeal, with some salt and pepper.
  3. Over medium heat, heat a medium sized skillet with about 1/2 inch canola oil. Batter the shrimp, dipping each into the egg mixture, then roll in the panko/cornmeal mixture. Fry for about 45 seconds per side, or until golden brown. Turn down the temperature of the oil as needed if it gets to hot. Place fried shrimp on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
  4. Assemble sandwiches with a spread of mayo, shrimp, shredded cabbage and sliced mango. Top with chives and a dusting of paprika & cayenne.

1. Quinn Cooper from quinncooperstyle.com on said:

WOW WOW WOW. I love fish po boy and these look out of this world!!
    Definitely going to make them this summer. The addition of the mango is genius.
    xo Quinn

Quinn Cooper Style

2. I idea of mango mayo is so good. Combination of spice and subtle sweetness must be this sandwich a real winner. I am going to try this way and make some more mango mayo to try with Indian inspired mango chicken sub!

sounds delicious! I love indian spices & mango together.

3. Po’ Boys are my weakness. And so is drinking a glass of wine while watching a man work.

4. kayla from kaylakopke.com on said:

Can you please explain how to properly slice a mango? I am always left with a sloppy, slippery, juicy mess (a delicious mess, but it is not servable).

Also, your website is my favourite dinner-idea resource right now. I absolutely love what you do!

Hi Kayla,
      Here’s a good step by step: http://www.mango.org/how-cut-mango
      For this I made my sliced as small as I could, and then after I scooped them out, I sliced them a little bit thinner. (which wasn’t totally necessary, just made it look nicer for the photos).

Also, after I sliced the pretty slices, I trimmed off any remaining fruit bits and used that to puree into my sauce.

5. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

Po Boys with Mango! That is my kind of Po boy!! YUM!

6. thecitygourmand from thecitygourmand.blogspot.com on said:

What a cool idea! Perfect for a Saturday lunch

7. Janie from hedgecombers.com on said:

Oh my, they look stunning!
    Janie x

8. Pingback: Friday Link Love - The Sweetest Occasion | The Sweetest Occasion

9. Bookmarking this for the tofu version for my vegetarian daughter. Wish I had someone who’d fry it though – while I drank wine!

10. Crista from peacelovequinoa.com on said:

pinned! if all goes well, i’ll be making these very soon. xo

11. janelle from bakesinslippers.wordpress.com on said:

your photos are insanely gorgeous. i will make this for my daughter, she is a huge shrimp fan. i am just a starter blog, but would love for you to check it out if you have time!

12. My husband and I just got back from a trip to New Orleans, and we have been craving a po’boy since! These look delicious – I love the addition of mango. These will be made this week!

13. Sarah from thesugarhit.com on said:

I love this! Crispy fried shrimp or tofu with tangy mayo in a baguette? That’s heaven.

14. Bevin from magnoliareverie.com on said:

The words “tofu po’boy” just blew my mind. I can’t wait to try this!

Bevin

15. WOW, this looks amazing. Out of my list of things worth frying shrimp is up there on the list only under okra and oysters.

Corbin
    decor-eat

16. Elizabeth from adayfromscratch.com on said:

I am on a shrimp kick right now and can’t wait to try out these bad boys!

17. Love this inventive spin on a typical po’boy — and your combo of panko and cornmeal for extra crunch, yum!

18. Justine on said:

Tofu version please! :-D

Hi Justine,

We made it the same way as the shrimp, just sub tofu instead! Our breading method does have egg though (I’m not sure if you’re vegan). You can skip the egg if you want, the breading just doesn’t stick as well.

thanks :) just don’t start that broiler and walk away!

19. Pingback: Les Coups de Coeur | Ella Lou Blog

20. Pingback: So Many Sandwiches / Blog / Need Supply Co.

21. Tara on said:

I just made these for lunch, and they were absolutely delicious. Seriously, stop whatever you are doing and go make this sandwich!

22. Pingback: SHRIMP PO’ BOY WITH MANGO - FLYCANDY DC | FLYCANDY DC