I’m sure fried food is exactly what you thought you’d see here today. But, you know, we’re only human and sometimes we fry things. Well, to be clear, Jack fries things. I sit back with a glass of wine and watch. It’s a hard job, but someone’s gotta make sure he doesn’t burn the house down.
Pictured is shrimp, but he also made a tofu version using the same method. I mixed up a tangy sauce by pureeing mango with kewpie mayo. (You could use regular mayo or even vegenaise if mayo isn’t your thing). We ate these with sliced mango, shredded cabbage and some chopped chives.
This recipe is part 3 of my Mangover series for the Mango Board.
- 16-18 medium raw shrimp, peeled and devained
- 4 5-inch pieces of fresh baguette
- 1 small mango, sliced (reserve 1/3 cup for mango mayo)
- 1/2 cup each, green and red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- extra cayenne for dusting on top
- 1/3 cup chopped mango
- 1/3 cup mayo (or vegenaise)
- generous squeeze of lemon
- a few pinches of cayenne
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or more)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup milk (any kind)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup panko (or regular breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- oil, for frying
- Make the mayo: Mix everything together in a food processor. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to serve.
- To fry the shrimp: In a small bowl, stir together the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne and pepper. Toss it with the raw shrimp and set aside. In another small bowl, combine the egg and milk. In a medium bowl, stir together the panko and cornmeal, with some salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, heat a medium sized skillet with about 1/2 inch canola oil. Batter the shrimp, dipping each into the egg mixture, then roll in the panko/cornmeal mixture. Fry for about 45 seconds per side, or until golden brown. Turn down the temperature of the oil as needed if it gets to hot. Place fried shrimp on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
- Assemble sandwiches with a spread of mayo, shrimp, shredded cabbage and sliced mango. Top with chives and a dusting of paprika & cayenne.