frozen chocolate bananas

Frozen chocolate bananas / loveandlemons.com

This is Jack – the “and” in Love and Lemons – and this is my first post. For awhile now, Jeanine has been mentioning that I should make some posts. But I didn’t want to tread on her writing territory, and I’m used to the “video gamer” view of the internet, where people are mean and petty. This “food blog internet” where people are sweet and polite is frighting and confusing to me.

As the one year anniversary of the blog has come and gone, my apprehension went from “what do I say” to “what do I make?” I can cook a few things, but I wanted my first post to be purposeful and appropriate to the site. We already posted my molten cakes, and fried chicken isn’t exactly a “love and lemons” dish, so what do I do?

We have a banana stand about two blocks from our house. On one of our more recent weekend walks, I brought up swinging by for a snack (as I do just about every time). That’s when Jeanine thought of it – I should make frozen bananas to celebrate the return of Arrested Development!

It’s perfect! This is the only series that Jeanine and I have watched twice. We still quote it all the time to each other, years after watching it. We even named our newest dog Annie partially after Ann (when Jeanine said she was getting me a puppy for Christmas, I saw the picture and said “her?”)

It turns out that this is pretty much the easiest thing to make. Freeze bananas. Melt chocolate. Dip the bananas in the chocolate. The chocolate magic-shells on the banana and it’s delicious.

I would be worried that sharing the ease of this method would put our local banana stand out of business, but, well, we all know there’s always money in the banana stand.

frozen chocolate bananas

frozen chocolate bananas

• 6 bananas
  • 8 ounces dark baking chocolate, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons coconut oil
  • 2 teaspoons agave syrup
  • tiny pinch of salt
  • toppings of your choice (crushed peanuts, shredded coconut, etc)

1. Place popsicle sticks in half-bananas and freeze, preferably overnight.
  2. For the chocolate sauce: Simmer water in a small saucepan, place a glass bowl on top to create a double boiler (a bowl big enough so it doesn't touch the water in the pan). Add the chocolate, agave, coconut oil, and salt and stir continuously as it melts over the simmering water.
  3. Remove from heat, let it cool slightly and pour the chocolate into a mug.
  4. Dip each banana into the chocolate and sprinkle the toppings on quickly before the chocolate hardens.

1. Lisa on said:

Welcome! I love chocolate bananas. My husband and I recently went to disneyland and in the hot sun craved the ones they were selling for a whopping
    $5. We caved but as we were munching, I was shaking my head at how easy this would be at home. Definitely bookmarking this to keep a stash for the summer heat.

• Nemo on said:

has anyone else made these without the toppings and noticed how they really look….phallic? .lol….thats all anyone saw when I posted my creations on instagram.

2. Arlene on said:

These look great! We also named our dog after an AD character, Kitty “Say good-bye to these” Sanchez, but most people think we’re just trying to be ironical by naming our dog “kitty”. It’s the diminutive of Katherine!!

• Jack's sister on said:

Best. Dog. Name. Ever.

3. Alex from acouplecooks.com on said:

Good to hear from the “and” on this blog! We love Arrested Development as well — it wouldn’t surprise me if we tore through the entire season this weekend :)

4. Haha I can’t wait for the return of Arrested Development and will definitely need to make these for the viewing party!

5. Meryl on said:

That last sentence made me laugh! I am also excited about the return of Arrested Development and these banana pops look great :) Thanks for sharing!

6. Haha! My husband is also in the video game industry and says the same thing about being so surprised how lovely everyone is in the food blogging world. It’s a different animal.
    We are so excited for Arrested Development! We have already begun a marathon of the past seasons just to gear up. So what if we have already watched the entire series two (okay…maybe three.) times all the way through?! Maybe we will make these frozen bananas before we sit down this weekend and plow through the whole thing. Oh, Netflix. You play a convenient and dangerous game. :)

7. HAHA Loved this post! I can’t wait for this Sunday! Does your banana stand have a Mr. Manager too? :)

• Jack Mathews from loveandlemons.com on said:

It’s manager… we just say manager. :)

8. Kendra on said:

Hi Jack! This is hilarious. My heart skipped a beat when I saw “Frozen Chocolate Bananas” come through the subject line on this email. This is a perfect idea for a group-viewing this Sunday! I can’t even count how many times I’ve watched seasons 1-3. This post has honestly made my day…all the way to the last sentence!

9. Well done Jack! I am so excited for the return of Arrested Development. I know what I will be snacking on while I marathon through the new episodes!

10. Sarah from sarah-travelinglight.blogspot.com on said:

Arrested Development is hilarious and these bananas looks awesome! Nice work on your first post! Keep it up! I love this blog!

11. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

Hello, Jack! Your post made me laugh out loud. It’s nice to hear your voice here and I’m glad Jeanine let you tread on her territory a bit :) Also, frozen bananas = brilliant.

12. Cookin Canuck from cookincanuck.com on said:

Hi, Jack. Your post gave me a good chuckle. In honor of Arrested Development, I have to make these for my family!

13. James from dayoldnews.com on said:

Delicious recipe contribution. And I believe your dog’s name should be “Egg” or “Bland”, yes?

• Jack Mathews from loveandlemons.com on said:

She’s Bell… err Annabelle… She’s the belle of the ball.

HA, yea we totally named her wrong…

14. Jade Sheldon from endlesslyenraptured.com on said:

Haha, these are absolutely perfect for the celebration of Arrested Development returning! Happy so see you writing and creating on the blog! Looking forward to more…

15. Tieghan from halfbakedharvest.com on said:

I love the frozen bananas! It’s bananas and I would like one now!

16. Jennifer from blog.jchongstudio.com on said:

welcome jack!

17. Alyssa from livinlyssa.wordpress.com on said:

I absolutely love Love & Lemons. The recipes are so pristine, yet simple and clean. It’s quickly become one of my favorite blogs and the fact that you’re based in Austin (my own lovely city as well), I appreciate the posts that much more because you utilize the fresh, seasonal produce we have here and let the simplicity of the food shine through. Chocolate covered bananas were a great first post and fit the Love and Lemon theme perfectly!

18. Kathryne from cookieandkate.com on said:

I LOVE Arrested Development! My friends threw a watch party yesterday and a guest brought store-bought chocolate-dipped bananas. I’d never had before but I’m a fan now, obviously. Oh and my fiends named their mutt Maebe.

aw, cute :). So fun to hear how many people have named their dogs after the show!

19. YUM! I adore the combination of bananas and chocolate! Great post, Jack :D