fried egg & mango salsa waffle

fried egg & mango salsa waffle /

Happy Friday! This one makes me so happy that the weekend is just about here…

This is part 1 of a fun project I’ve been working on with the Mango Board as part of their “Mangover” campaign. (makeover + mangoes, get it?) It’s about simply adding mango to ordinary food for an unexpected pop of color & tangy sweetness. Once a week they’re asking their facebook fans for meal ideas they would like to see made over with mango. This week (breakfast week), the choice was waffles and eggs.

So I made a quick mango salsa with avocado, smoked paprika and a pinch of chili flakes. Topped it on a savory waffle and added a fried egg. A sweet & spicy breakfast.

If making waffles AND eggs sounds like too much work for you on a Sunday morning… you could do this same concept with toast. Think–smashed avocado toast, just add mango. (plus a squeeze of lime & salt). And maybe a fried egg.

fried egg & mango salsa waffle
smoky mango avocado salsa:
  • 1 medium mango, peeled, pitted and diced.
  • 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced.
  • 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice)
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • ¼ - ½ teaspoon ground smoked paprika
  • pinch of red chili flakes
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
for the waffles:
  • ¼ cup sweet rice flour
  • ¼ cup brown rice flour
  • ½ cup oat flour
  • **(flour note: or just use 1 cup all-purpose)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ cup almond milk (or regular milk)
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons extra milk (or 1 egg)
  • 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, or butter
for the fried eggs:
  • 4 eggs for frying
  • ½ teaspoon olive oil or butter
  • a pinch of salt and pepper
  1. In a small glass bowl mix together the diced mango, avocado, lime juice, scallions, smoked paprika, red chili flakes and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to serve.
  2. Preheat your waffle iron to the #4 setting (or depending on your iron, one of the higher settings)
  3. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, chili powder and salt. In a small separate bowl, whisk together the milk, flax (or egg) and coconut oil. Then mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Immediately pour the batter into your preheated waffle iron and remove when your iron beeps, or when they're crispy. This batter is enough to make about 4 square waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron, your yield may vary.
  4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Crack 4 eggs into the skillet and cook until whites are set but the yolks are still runny. About 4-5 minutes. (You may need to cook 2 eggs at a time, depending on the size of your pan).
  5. Assemble by spreading a touch of butter on each waffle, then top with a spoonful of mango-avocado salsa and the fried egg. Add a pinch of salt and pepper on the top of each egg.
Store leftover waffles in the freezer and pop them in the toaster to reheat.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: makes 4 square-sized waffles

This post was created in partnership with The National Mango Board, all opinions are my own.

If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.

1. Katie H on said:

I would just like to say that I love waffles + eggs + salsa. We do it quite often on the weekends. I’ve been into rosemary cornmeal waffles lately, but will usually make a couple of waffles without the rosemary to freeze for more versatile midweek toaster waffles, then add the herbs into the remaining batter for pairing with eggs. Mango? Sign me up.

• jeanine from on said:

ooh, rosemary cornmeal sounds delicious!

2. Tieghan from on said:

Wow! Loving this!! The egg, the mango, the waffle!! Yes, please!!

3. This is such a beautiful breakfast! The bright yellow really peps up my day.

4. Yelle from on said:

Salsa on a waffle? I never would have thought my mouth would salivate to the tune of that!

5. Sarah from on said:

I swear I have been waiting for my waffle maker to arrive for literally my entire life. This is not helping the process! Looks amazing.

6. Pingback: Savory Waffles with Chicken Sausage & Apricot Salsa | Feeding Joshua

7. Sasha from on said:

Oh my gosh. This is so beautiful. Wow.
    I love adding mangoes to savory dishes. They’re the most versatile ingredient :)

8. Pingback: Recipes From Our Favorite Top Food Blogs |

9. Paula on said:

I have a question…sometimes you use a cast iron skillet and other times just a regular skillet…how do you know when to use which?

• jeanine from on said:

Hi Paula,

I admittedly use a regular non-stick skillet most of the time. It’s easy and convenient (especially for eggs because they are more likely to stick). I keep messing up my seasoned cast iron and having to redo it. One day I’ll get better at it.

10. Pingback: Friday Food Foto - Parisian Pet Dej - Misadventures with Andi

11. Pingback: Home Cookin!!! Mango Recipes “Chez Nous” (“In Our House”), Saint Barts, French West Indies- The Gaia Health Blog

12. Pingback: mango habanero black bean tacos | Love and Lemons

13. Mabel from on said:

Hi to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this website, and
    your views are pleasant designed for new viewers.

Here is my blog electronic smoking devices (Mabel)

14. David Miller from on said:

Oh my goodness, this is so perfect! I going to crave it until I make it. This is an excellent recipe, thank you for sharing!

15. Sydnie on said:

Made this for brunch and it was so good! I omitted the egg yolk and the waffle and it was still delicious. Can’t get enough of that salsa, thanks for sharing!

16. Pingback: cacao nib & strawberry vegan waffles recipe - Love and Lemons

17. Amber Ashford from on said:

I love these recipes you can make and freeze for later! Thanks for this information! Best Regards.

18. Quinn from on said:

Wow delicious dish! Quite simple but enough nutrition for my lunch. Thank you I’m gonna make it tomorrow!

19. Pingback: Blogroll - Soft Spirit Strong Blog

20. Sara Smith from on said:

Why you can make the egg looks so fresh??
    My husband really likes egg. Thank you so much!

21. Pingback: Paleo Plantain Savory Waffles with Fried Eggs & Hot Sauce