nutella stuffed french toast

nutella stuffed french toast / loveandlemons.com

This might be the most unhealthy thing I’ve made for this site thus far. It’s not “surprisingly” vegan or “by the way” gluten free. And I didn’t make my own Nutella, although I thought about it.

But… it’s fast, easy, and super delicious. We’re having some Nutella-loving friends over for Easter brunch next weekend, so I’m thinking this will be sure to impress.

If sweets are too much for you in the morning, this can double as dessert with a scoop of ice cream on top. (If you’re reading between the lines here, yes… we ate these for breakfast and the extras for dessert last night. Today, a good salad is in order).

nutella stuffed french toast

Serves: serves 4 (1 "sandwich", 2 halves per person)
  • 8 slices of brioche bread that's a little bit stale
  • 4 tablespoons or so of Nutella
  • 3 eggs
  • ⅓ cup milk (I used almond milk)
  • a little bit of butter for the pan
  • powdered sugar, for dusting
  1. Spread nutella in the center of 4 of the pieces of bread, and assemble each like a sandwich. Don't spread it all the way to the edges so that the edges of the bread will adhere together later with the egg mixture.
  2. In a shallow baking dish (with sides), whisk the eggs and the milk together.
  3. Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and flip it over a few times to saturate the bread.
  4. Heat butter in a large skillet over high heat. Cook each piece until golden brown on both sides. (a minute or 2). Dust with powdered sugar and serve.

1. It’s a holiday, they’re usually the perfect excuse to splurge a little! Looks delicious.

2. Maria from twopeasandtheirpod.com on said:

One of my favorite breakfast treats!

3. Meg Sylvia from stylehideout.com on said:

Oh yum. Not sure why I haven’t thought of adding Nutella to french toast but now I’ll just have to try this!

4. Unfortunately I can’t eat hazelnuts so miss out on all the Nutella love. But I do make an almond version of Nutella, and this sounds a great use for for what’s left of my latest batch. And I have some plain panettone that survived in its wrapper from Christmas rather than brioche. I know what I’ll be making my gang for an unexpected Monday night dessert. Thanks for this simple recipe.

• Almond butter would be delicious! I’m not a big Nutella fan either, but that’s a great suggestion.

Almond/chocolate spread sounds delicious, I’ll have to try that.

• Jennifer on said:

They sell this at Trader Joe’s if you have one close by.

5. Quinn Cooper from quinncooperstyle.com on said:

Can’t go wrong with anything that has nutella on it. I lived in France for a year and a half and pretty much had banana-nutella or strawberry-nutella crepes every morning. Nutella just has a great nutty flavor combined with an awesome chocolate flavor.
    xo Quinn
    Quinn Cooper Style

I hear you, whenever I’m in Italy I eat nutella every day in some form or another. But I don’t think the calories count over there…

6. Dana from celiackiddo.wordpress.com on said:

This is a perfectly acceptable treat! Splurging every now and then is good for the soul (or so I tell myself). And it could be gluten free with some GF bread, ha! Though still not healthy, but whatev. It’s on my brunch menu, and dessert :)
    -Dana

7. Looks fantastic! Nothing wrong with a little indulgent, easy breakfast every now and then! By the way, the egg casserole with kale was delicious. The kale cooked down quite a bit, but was still amazing!

thanks for coming back to let me know!

8. Crista on said:

Oh wow, that DOES look divine….but you’re right, not “healthy” lol !

9. This looks absolutely heavenly! Brioche takes french toast to a whole other level–as does Nutella!! Yum yum!

agreed, I think brioche or challah are necessary for french toast.

10. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

Nutella is one of the best things that ever happened to sliced bread. No apologies necessary!

11. This sounds so delicious and perfect for Easter. I don’t think anyone can go wrong when nutella is involved. :-)

12. Can’t beat this for a special Easter brunch. Yum!

13. Kristen on said:

“If you’re reading between the lines here, yes… we ate these for breakfast and the extras for dessert last night. Today, a good salad is in order.”

I appreciate the honesty.

This looks fantastic by the way. I love your photographs.

thanks, I try :)

14. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

Sometimes, indulgent is just the only way to go! Love!

15. Sarah from thesugarhit.com on said:

Not healthy, but good for your soul perhaps? breaking the rules once in a while is liberating.

I do think Nutella is good for the soul, yes :)

16. maria from happybelly.org.uk on said:

Hahah I saw the post and I was like, “nutella in Love and Lemons?” I’m glad to discover that you splurge and eat unhealthy things every now and then and that you’re human like the rest of us :D

so funny! Yes, not a day goes by where I don’t splurge on something. Not always on nutella, but for example if there are cookies on this blog you can bet that I probably ate most of the pan in one day.

17. I don’t think I’ve ever actually tried Nutella, shockingly. Food bucket list, I guess.

I just stumbled across your blog tonight, and I’m really enjoying it. And based on the similarity to MY blog name, I think we have similar interests :)

ha, yes definitely one for the food bucket list :)

18. Hey, sometimes the easiest, partially-not-homemade stuff impresses the most. I kinda hate that, but it’s convenient too – saves time! Love this french toast – the fact that it’s made with brioche just made me swoon that much more.

19. Jill from jillyinspired.blogspot.com on said:

Who doesn’t love Nutella? I had to ban it from my house for a bit because I was eating it by the spoonful. Love your blog… clean, bright, modern photos. Your light- filled kitchen is gorgeous!

20. Pingback: mushroom & quinoa lettuce wraps | Love and Lemons

What I love, Jeanine, is that you have such a balanced and sensible approach to eating and you’re not at all sanctimonious or precious. I totally support the idea of having nutella stuffed french toast for breakfast every now and then. It’s these little treats that make life seem so wonderful.

22. Pingback: Welcome To The Weekend - Elizabeth Anne Designs: The Wedding Blog

23. Pingback: Weekend Inspiration | Meyers Styles.com

24. Kathryne from cookieandkate.com on said:

I’m all for fast, easy and delicious. This French toast looks like a winner to me!

25. Brana on said:

One of favourite puddings with kids, hubby and friends. We had friends over last weekend and they were amazed. They will cherish the recipe always :)

26. Pingback: The Weekender | Fancy Free Me