This might be the most unhealthy thing I’ve made for this site thus far. It’s not “surprisingly” vegan or “by the way” gluten free. And I didn’t make my own Nutella, although I thought about it.
But… it’s fast, easy, and super delicious. We’re having some Nutella-loving friends over for Easter brunch next weekend, so I’m thinking this will be sure to impress.
If sweets are too much for you in the morning, this can double as dessert with a scoop of ice cream on top. (If you’re reading between the lines here, yes… we ate these for breakfast and the extras for dessert last night. Today, a good salad is in order).
nutella stuffed french toast
- 8 slices of brioche bread that's a little bit stale
- 4 tablespoons or so of Nutella
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- a little bit of butter for the pan
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Spread nutella in the center of 4 of the pieces of bread, and assemble each like a sandwich. Don't spread it all the way to the edges so that the edges of the bread will adhere together later with the egg mixture.
- In a shallow baking dish (with sides), whisk the eggs and the milk together.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture and flip it over a few times to saturate the bread.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over high heat. Cook each piece until golden brown on both sides. (a minute or 2). Dust with powdered sugar and serve.