cauliflower puree with chickpeas

cauliflower purée & roasted chickpeas / loveandlemons.com cauliflower purée & roasted chickpeas / loveandlemons.com

This might just be my last cauliflower post of the season. I’m trying to remind myself that it’s still March and many of you have snow on the ground. Or at least slush. Which is hard for me to comprehend because it suddenly became July here this week.

But last week, when it was a little bit cooler and cauliflower was still showing up at my door, we made this fancy little meal. Cauliflower, two ways… a light velvety purée, with roasted florets and chickpeas on top.

cauliflower purée & roasted chickpeas / loveandlemons.com

cauliflower puree with chickpeas

Serves: serves 2-3, scale accordingly
cauliflower purée:
  • 3 cups cauliflower
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • ¼ cup vegan butter (or regular butter)
  • ½ cup chickpeas, cooked & drained
  • 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
  • salt & pepper
  • squeeze of ½ to 1 whole lemon, plus some zest (to taste)
  • milk or water to thin, or more chickpeas if necessary to thicken
roasted chickpeas & cauliflower
  • 1.5 cup cauliflower, broken into small florets
  • 1.5 cups cooked (or canned) chickpeas, drained
  • olive oil
  • minced garlic
  • salt & pepper
  • a few pinches chopped rosemary
plate with:
  • a sprinkle of capers
  • an extra drizzle of olive oil
  • a few pinches of red pepper flakes
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil, boil the cauliflower until tender, about 10-20 minutes.
  3. While cauliflower is boiling, start roasting the rest of the cauliflower and the chickpeas. Prep 2 baking sheets with foil. Separately toss the chickpeas and cauliflower with olive oil, garlic, rosemary salt & pepper. (I do this right on the baking sheet). Roast both in the oven until golden brown, about 25-35 minutes (check halfway through).
  4. Back to the boiling cauliflower... Drain it well, and transfer to a high speed blender. Add the rest of the purée ingredients and blend well. Taste and adjust, adding more salt, pepper, and/or lemon as necessary. If yours is too thick, add some water or milk. If it's too thin, add some more chickpeas. The consistency should be thinner and lighter than hummus. (*note that I used a vitamix, if you're using a regular blender yours might not be as smooth).
  5. Plate with a generous scoop of the purée and top it with the roasted cauliflower, chickpeas, a drizzle of olive oil, capers, a few small pinches of red pepper flakes, and another pinch of rosemary. And an extra squeeze of lemon if necessary.
Notes
you can make the cauliflower puree up to one day in advance. The texture might change overnight in the fridge, and you might want to blend it again just before serving.

1. Laura from thefirstmess.com on said:

Roasted chickpeas have been one of my favourite things this winter. Love this super dreamy pairing. Jealous of your July-esque conditions, lady.

2. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

You sure know how to make cauliflower puree look elegant! Definitely will be trying it soon with rosemary + roasted chickpeas.

3. sandra from meadowscooks.blogspot.com on said:

This looks so lovely and delicate. I’ve never thought of pureeing cauliflower and I am not sure why not. It sounds like a wonderful idea.

4. I’ve seen pureed cauliflower everywhere lately, but haven’t tried it. This recipe looks great and is officially added to my to-do list!

5. Kelly from eat-yourself-skinny.com on said:

What an amazing combinations, this looks incredible! :)

6. Aleksandra Peyrer-Navijalic on said:

Such a lovely pairing. It also looks very elegant. Can’t wait to try this!

7. Sasha from chezsasha.com on said:

Your photography is divine! I’m in love.

8. Jamie from thriftyveggiemama.com on said:

Love this! I absolutely love cauliflower and roasted chickpeas. Beautiful photos.

9. Oh my gosh this looks heavenly. I will absolutely be making this VERY soon.

10. This is so beautiful! I am definitely going to have to try this before we can’t get cauliflower here anymore.

11. Katie from katieduris.com on said:

i’m all for the coming of spring and the lovely produce that she brings, but i’m sad about the ‘last cauliflower of the season’. i have mine sitting in the fridge now, it was destined for a white bean salad, but this has me reconsidering…

Hi Katie,

I know cauliflower turned out to be a favorite this winter for sure :)

12. I love this dish! What a fantastic idea. So many wonderful flavours and textures. I have some chickpeas and some cauliflower in the house – so I think I better give this a try this weekend.

13. Sian Therese on said:

This sounds delicious – definitely making this soon!

14. Pingback: Semblance Boutique, The Blog | Semblance Boutique

15. Lisa G. from eatingandwandering.com on said:

Lovely! I cooked an enormous batch of chickpeas this weekend and I’m slowly gathering new recipes to mix in with the old standbys. Yum!

16. Melissa from Isitvegan.com on said:

Just made the purée for dinner tonight. It is absolutely dreamy. Can’t wait to finish it off with the chickpeas, roasted cauliflower, and some braised tempeh.

oh so glad you like it (so far!)

17. Kate from kateinthekitchen.com on said:

I believe I’ve eaten my weight in roasted cauliflower this winter, deeply enamored of it as is, burnished and perfect. But paired with my all-time favorite addictive snack, I wish that this dream combination had arrived far earlier than mid-March. Still, we’ve got some Winter left in Minnesota.

I think I’ve eaten my weight in cauliflower this winter too :)

18. This looks so very delicious. Cauliflower and chickpeas, I’ve never thought of putting the two together. Have to try it.
    Compliments on a beautiful blog!

Thanks Sharmila!

19. Samossa on said:

That sounds fantastic… I love mixing cauliflower and broccoli (like 2/3 cauliflower 1/3 broccoli). Do you think it would work with this recipe?
    Your blog is amazing btw. You’re really helping my family eating veg :)

20. Mariela from tastyplan.com on said:

I love cauliflower! This is beautiful, cant wait to make and taste. Lovely blog.

21. It’s like Xu Meng head fiercely poured cold water. Xu Union will be more deep resentment can imagine, he stared fiercely a full Feng Ting Liu Yiyi chest, eyes can not wait to dig into from the cleavage of the last helpless sigh, talk about a girlfriend so tired even point Consolation not give. Thanks to his endurance. Otherwise, early yellow.

22. Sian Therese on said:

Your photography is always stunning and this recipe is delicious – it has become a frequent rotation in my house (Winter here in Aus atm). Dad passed on a beautiful cauliflower from his garden and there was no better use for it then this recipe! You are a star!

23. Pingback: November 2013: #MonthofMeals - Mom Favorites

24. Violeta on said:

Just made this. Heaven! I couldn’t wait to eat it, I got my tongue burnt. Still delicious!