chipotle shrimp tacos

Chipotle Shrimp Tacos // loveandlemons.com Chipotle Shrimp Tacos // loveandlemons.com

I have some guilty confessions relating to this meal:

1. This might seem un-characteristic, given my general healthy habits but I love mayo. And I have an unhealthy addiction to Japanese Kewpie Mayo. If I had to choose 5 things to bring to a desert island, that just might be one of them. Along with a few chipotles to make this sauce.

2. I made these tacos all for myself one night last week while Jack worked late… catching up on my guiltiest of guilty tv shows… The Bachelor, which I had proudly avoided for weeks… and Smash, a show I hate that I love. (Or love to hate, I’m not sure which).

3. It might have been a proper “girl-night-in” if I had a margarita to go along with these. But that would have required too much planning so box wine it was…

chipotle shrimp tacos

chipotle shrimp tacos

chipotle sauce:
  • 2-3 chipotle peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo
  • 1/4 cup mayo, Kewpie or any kind
  • 1/2 cup silken tofu
  • splash of honey (or agave)
  • salt & pepper
  • squeezes of lime
  • splash of rice vinegar, if you make yours too spicy by accident
  • for the tacos:
  • 2-3 raw shrimp per taco (or sliced portobello mushrooms for a veggie version)
  • olive oil
  • minced garlic
  • salt, pepper
  • shredded napa cabbage
  • a few thinly sliced radishes
  • chopped cilantro
  • avocado slices
  • a few limes
  • tortillas (corn or flour)

1. Combine all ingredients for the chipotle sauce in a food processor. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. You may want to add more chipotle peppers for more flavor/spice, more mayo to make it richer, or more tofu to mellow it out. Chill until ready to serve.
  2. Season the raw shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a skillet over med-high heat. When the oil is starting to bubble, add shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes per side. When the shrimp is almost done, add the minced garlic and give the pan a good shake (I find that my garlic burns if I add it earlier). Add a few squeezes of lime and remove shrimp from the pan.
  3. Assemble tacos with shrimp, raw veggies, spoonfuls of the chipotle sauce, and extra limes.

1. Jade Sheldon from jademsheldonphotography.com on said:

Wow, you are KILLING me right now! These look ridiculously delicious. My husband and I love to go to Por Que No in Portland for date nights and this has made me crave them so badly…

2. You had me at chipotle aioli! WOW! We can’t get corn tortillas over here in the UK very easily though :(

these are flour tortillas, but if you can’t find corn tortillas they’re not all that hard to make: http://www.loveandlemons.com/2012/07/16/tortillas/

3. By the way your social media buttons aren’t working on the sidebar!

4. Sigh. I hate/love the Bachelor. I gave up on it for so many seasons but I was sucked back in by some of my friends. I love anything chipotle, so you sold me on this recipe quite instantly!

I know, I keep giving it up too :(

5. Nicole from nicoledula.com on said:

I shamelessly love mayo and shamefully love to watch The Bachelor. Tierra’s sparkle and eyebrow were so entertaining. These tacos sound delightful.

6. Lindsey from dollyandoatmeal.com on said:

i always use sprouted tortillas, but after i heat them they crack and fall apart a bit. the tortillas here look amazing! where might i find them..?

they’re flour tortillas that I get locally – any flour tortillas (whole wheat even) won’t crack so much. Not as healthy as sprouted ones though :)

7. monica on said:

After being in LA in January, we stopped by an amazing Taco place right at Santa Monica Beach, and had the most amazing shrimp Tacos…I salivate just at the memory!! you have inspired me with this dish to try it for dinner tomorrow night…thank you.

8. I love the simplicity of these tacos! I’ve been sick and just got my apetite back and could probably down about 6 of these myself. Definitely pinning these!

9. italgirly on said:

The kewpie mayo is sooo good! If only it were more available!

I just found it at my asian market and stocked up :)

10. Isabella on said:

Made this the other night. So so so so tasty and easy. 3 shrimp/taco didn’t do it for us though – more like 5-6! I loved the radishes – such a nice, fresh crunch. And chipotle? Crack. Keep it up!

11. Now I am craving some veggie tacos (love the shrimp, but i’m allergic) with a margarita… and chipotle. What an amazing combo!

12. shannon on said:

we in the south swear by Duke’s mayo. it’s the most ‘real’ tasting you can get i think, and essential for all the egg salad i’m now making from my chicken gals eggs.

13. jaclyn from grandintentions.com on said:

oh boy, can NOT get on board with the bachelor but I, too, HATE how much I LOVE Smash!

These tacos (+ a blood orange marg) may have to be next week’s dinner in honor of Smash.

ha, I know, like I said… I’m ashamed :)

14. Lauren on said:

Have you ever tried making the aoli without the tofu? Is there anything I can use in its place to flavor/ mello out the aoli?

Hi Lauren, I actually started without the tofu. I put too many chiles in and it was too spicy and also too rich (just too mayo-ey for me). The silken tofu worked well because it has the perfect texture without adding any flavor. If you didn’t want to use the tofu, I would maybe start with the mayo and less chiles. Taste and go from there…

15. Holly from foodathome.ca on said:

Looks so yummy! Love your idea of using radishes.

thanks! they added such a nice crunch

16. Pingback: In Season :: Tequila-Lime Fish Tacos | Camille Styles

17. Judi on said:

Wow! These were wonderful! Easy to make – great for lunch! Made the sauce without the tofu….very spicy!

18. Pingback: Fish Taco Night