mini ceviche tacos

mini ceviche tacos, two ways (vegetarian & pesca)

I’m guest posting today on A House in the Hills (one of my favorite blogs), while Sarah is in Mexico this week. I know, I’m jealous too.

To compensate for my vacation-envy, I made these bright little ceviche tacos and imagined myself on the beach soaking in the sun with a margarita in hand.

mini ceviche tacos, two ways (vegetarian & pesca)

Whitefish gets “cooked” with lots of lime juice. And for a fun twist I made a vegetarian version using chopped up hearts of palm that was equally, (if not more), delicious than it’s pesca counterpart.

mini tortillas

You could serve them with chips as an appetizer, or with tortillas as more of a meal… I ended up somewhere in the middle by making little mini-tortillas.

both recipes together serve about 4 as a main dish, 6-8 as an appetizer

veggie ceviche

veggie ceviche

• 1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, slice into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup very thin red onion slices
  • 1/2 poblano, roasted & chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup corn kernels
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions
  • 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt
  • serve with:
  • tortillas (mini or regular sized), or tortilla chips
  • avocado slices
  • extra cilantro for garnish
  • a few radish slices

1. Mix everything together. Let chill in the fridge for 20 or so. Taste & adjust seasonings and serve chilled with tortillas.

whitefish ceviche

• 5 oz whitefish such as sea bass, snapper or tilapia
  • 1/4 cup lime juice (plus extra at the end, to taste)
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 1/4 cup corn kernels
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions
  • 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 poblano, roasted & chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • salt
  • serve with:
  • tortillas (mini or regular sized), or tortilla chips
  • avocado slices
  • extra cilantro for garnish
  • a few radish slices

1. Chop fish into small slices. Place in a bowl and mix with the lime juice. Let it sit and "cook" in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Remove and drain some of the liquid. Add salt, all veggies, and another squeeze of lime. Taste and adjust. Refrigerate for another 15 minutes or so and serve chilled.

Click here for the homemade tortilla recipe (I half-ed it and made about 12 mini tortillas)

1. Natasha from tartletsweets.blogspot.com on said:

These are so cute! My boyfriend and I make a celery ceviche that we are rather obsessed with. Will definitely have to branch out and give this recipe a try! Sounds delicious.

2. My hubby and I love fish tacos…so this is a great recipe for us! And what a stunning photo. I can totally see making variations, such as with avocado and mango, for instance, for a more tropical twist. Yum!

Love the mango idea, the added sweetness would be great… Avocado is most definitely necessary :)

3. Sarah from thesugarhit.com on said:

These look delicious. Your photos have done them justice as always! Refreshing, and light and making me wish I was in Mexico too.

thanks! Yes, they were a mini-vacation I suppose :)

4. Crista from peacelovequinoa.com on said:

these look AMAZING! I’ll be making these this weekend.

thanks Crista! Hope you like :)

5. A fabulous and refreshing step up from ‘normal’ fish tacos. And beautifully captured too

thanks! They were so good (almost surprisingly so)!

6. Pingback: Wednesday: Newsy Snacks For Busy People | justb.

7. Jeanine, your photos are always so effortlessly beautiful! Simplicity and charm…
    Love Mexican food, those mini tortillas are damn cute!
    Idea borrowed :)

8. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

I’ve been looking for a good recipe to use hearts of palm in. This looks perfect!!! I cannot wait to make these veggie ceviche tacos. Yum!

9. You’ve passed along the vacation envy to me; these are simply gorgeous and though I’m not quite ready to loosen my grip on winter {still hoping for at least one good snow here in Philly!} I’m now suddenly craving the flavors of summer. I have some bass in my freezer that I caught in early fall this year; this would be the perfect way to serve them!

10. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

These are gorgeous! I want to have a party just so I could serve some (if may be a while, but still ;) xo

11. Pingback: SCOUT. | Blogs Worth Loving : Eats.

12. Pingback: red, white, blue & some green | Love and Lemons

13. Pingback: And the Golden Chile goes to… | The Chile Trail

14. Pingback: Emptying my Pocket, Vol. 2 | every moment's a little bit later.

15. Pingback: Annual Guide to Schools » cinco de mayo recipes