carrot muffins with coconut whip

carrot muffins with coconut whip

Spring is in the air (at least, here in Austin it is), and I’ve been getting non-stop carrots in my Farmhouse Delivery box. Which means one thing to us… carrot cake. This time, in muffin form.

carrot muffins with coconut whip

I topped these with coconut whip lightly sweetened with maple syrup. It’s airy, yet creamy… much less indulgent than a more traditional cream cheese frosting, but it was exactly what I was in the mood for this time. With a dusting of cinnamon on top.

carrot muffins with coconut whip

Serves: makes 10 muffins
  • 8 oz. carrots (chopped and peeled)
  • 1 egg
  • ⅓ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup applesauce
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup coconut oil
  • ½ cup all purpose gluten free blend (or all purpose flour)
  • ½ cup whole spelt flour (or oat or whole wheat flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
coconut whip:
  • can of full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
  • a few tablespoons of maple syrup or sifted powdered sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
  2. Place carrots in food processor and pulse a few times until they are grated. Add in the egg, sugar, applesauce, vanilla and coconut oil and blend until combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift & mix together together all dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt).
  4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold together. Don't over mix.
  5. Scoop batter into the greased muffin tin - approx ⅓ cup batter per muffin.
  6. Bake for 15-18 minutes, use a toothpick to check for doneness. Don't over bake.
  7. Let cool completely before frosting.
  8. Make the coconut whip by carefully opening the coconut milk can and scooping off the thick solidified part on the top. Don't move or shake the can too much, it's important that the solid and liquid parts stay separate. (save the liquid part for another use). Whisk the solid part vigorously by hand (or in a mixer). Add maple syrup or powdered sugar to make it as sweet as you like. Spoon a dollop on each muffin and sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon.

or for cream cheese frosting, see this recipe

It’s felt like spring is in the air here too and it’s definitely worth celebrating. These muffins look like the perfect way to do just that.

2. JulieD from thelittlekitchen.net on said:

ahhh, these look so cute and I love the coconut whip recipe…must try soon!

3. rebecca on said:

YUM! these look so delicious and perfect for the creeping warm weather. Will definitely be making these for the nextime a friend comes to visit :)

4. Dana from celiackiddo.wordpress.com on said:

Spring was in NYC for about 24 hours and now totally gone, but I still would like to make these muffins. Love the idea of a coconut cream icing!
    -Dana

5. Pingback: Monday: Newsy Snacks For Busy People | justb.

6. aneelee from aneelee.wordpress.com on said:

Yay! I have been looking for a carrot muffin recipe that wasn’t super-duper sweet or too heavy handed with all-spice and cloves and such. This may be it!

7. Sarah from thesugarhit.com on said:

Looks delicious as always! And its great to have a healthy spin on a carrot cake! Springtime, here we come.

Thanks Sarah! Here’s to spring :) In feb…

Thanks Sarah! I try!

8. tina from thealbrecht.com on said:

Wow Jeanine! These carrot muffins look so inciting, and coconut whipped topping! Sounds perfect.

thanks Tina!

9. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

I adore the overhead shot. The coconut whipped frosting looks fabulous plopped on top and I love how they each look slightly different. YUM.

ha, I don’t think I’d be able to make them all look the same even if I tried :) it’s messy “frosting” for sure…

10. Carrot cake is my FAVORITE. I love that you used the coconut milk as the topping. I like a light whipped topping. This sounds perfect!

It’s our favorite too :)

11. Crista from peacelovequinoa.com on said:

these look tasty…..

12. Sonja from acouplecooks.com on said:

These look so fun! I have seen the idea for coconut whipped cream in a few places and it looks so interesting! We will have to try this :)

13. sarah from thevanillabeanblog.com on said:

These look lovely! And, I am terribly jealous of your springtime and non-stop carrots. We are in winter for another 2 months! Alas. Love your photos, as always.

14. Barb on said:

Made these muffins today but instead of cinnamon I substituted 1/2 tsp. of grated ginger and 1/2 tsp. of ground ginger. Left off the whipped topping this time as I made them for my work lunches. Next time. Tried one and they are delicious!

15. Jess from inquiringchef.com on said:

I love this combination – Jeanine, and I love that those cupcakes are so petite and pretty. We get loads of carrots in our CSA, but I’ve yet to bake with them – guess we know what I’ll be doing this weekend!

16. The coconut whip sounds amazing. I love carrot cake – really want to try it with the coconut oil instead of dairy.

17. Alexandra from strudelandcream.com on said:

Spring still seems a long way away at least in Switzerland (it was lightly snowing yesterday) but the muffins look delicious and definitely bring a breeze of spring to the kitchen :-)

• Tracen from yrixdab.com on said:

At last! Someone with the insight to solve the prlmoeb!

18. Sonja from acouplecooks.com on said:

These are so cute! I love the coconut whip idea — I’ve seen this a few places lately and would love to try it out. So fun!

19. erika from thepancakeprincess.com on said:

Yes. This is exactly what I want to make with my 5-lb bag of carrots! And I still have yet to make “whipped cream” from coconut cream, but I’m excited for this since I’ve never liked the heavy cream cheese frosting that normally goes with carrot cake.

I hope you like it, it’s so light… and so easy to whip up in no time.

20. Pingback: a week of ingredients | aneelee

21. Pingback: Friday Ramblings | Some Favorite This Week - Thrifty Veggie Mama | Thrifty Veggie Mama

22. Pingback: Friday Faves | Blueberries & Basil

23. Leona on said:

Is it possible to substitute the egg in order to make this a ‘vegan’ friendly recipe?

Thanks!

Hi Leona, do 1 tablespoon flax seed plus 3 tablespoons warm water (mix it in a little bowl first, until it gets gummy, then add it to the wet mix). Depending on what flour you use, they might fall apart a little more. (ie. if you’re using gluten free flours, they’ll be less cohesive).

24. Pingback: vegetarian meal plan – august 25, 2013 | aneelee

25. Pingback: {bakey katey} carrot muffins |

26. Pingback: Annual Guide to Schools » vegan carrot cake (& frosting)

27. Pingback: vegan carrot cake (& frosting) | Love and Lemons

28. Marti on said:

How long will the whipped coconut topping stay firm; can it sit out for an hour or so or travel in a bowl to be used once the food arrives & is set out?

Hi Marti, I’m not exactly sure, it’s pretty light and airy – I’d try to keep it refrigerated and use it as quickly as possible. (Next time I make it I’ll give it a leaving-out/traveling test).