This one’s for Jack. He’s a trooper with this whole blog thing. A typical night in our kitchen looks like this: He walks in the door as I’m chopping, cooking, and setting up for our photo-session. Before he has a chance to sit down, I’m
barking orders politely explaining the plan for the night.
I hand him a sorry excuse for a cocktail (usually bourbon + ice) and we get to work. If I’m feeling kind, I add a splash of honey or maple syrup. If I can tell he’s had a stressful day (and he’s going to be a moody photographer) I make it extra boozy.
So he was pleasantly surprised the night I told him his only task would be to taste test and mix up this drink. A rough job, I know, but someone’s gotta do it.
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice (strain the pulp if you wish)
- 3-5 tablespoons bourbon (depends on how boozy you want it)
- 2-3 drops of Angostura bitters
- splash of sparkling water
- orange slices & sprigs of mint, for garnish
- Mix & serve!
- (Alternatively, omit the sparkling water, shake everything in a cocktail shaker with ice and serve in a rocks glass).