blood orange & bourbon

Blood orange & bourbon / loveandlemons.com

This one’s for Jack. He’s a trooper with this whole blog thing. A typical night in our kitchen looks like this: He walks in the door as I’m chopping, cooking, and setting up for our photo-session. Before he has a chance to sit down, I’m barking orders politely explaining the plan for the night.

I hand him a sorry excuse for a cocktail (usually bourbon + ice) and we get to work. If I’m feeling kind, I add a splash of honey or maple syrup. If I can tell he’s had a stressful day (and he’s going to be a moody photographer) I make it extra boozy.

So he was pleasantly surprised the night I told him his only task would be to taste test and mix up this drink. A rough job, I know, but someone’s gotta do it.

Blood orange & bourbon / loveandlemons.comBlood orange & bourbon / loveandlemons.com

blood orange & bourbon

Yield: serves 1, scale accordingly

blood orange & bourbon

• 1/2 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice (strain the pulp if you wish)
  • 3-5 tablespoons bourbon (depends on how boozy you want it)
  • 2-3 drops of Angostura bitters
  • splash of sparkling water
  • orange slices & sprigs of mint, for garnish

1. Mix & serve!
  2. (Alternatively, omit the sparkling water, shake everything in a cocktail shaker with ice and serve in a rocks glass).

1. Becky from thevintagemixer.com on said:

A good cocktail is always a great motivator. Wish I could have one of these…. only 3 more months to go!

2. Ashley from notwithoutsalt.com on said:

Yes, yes and yes! This is destined to be the weekend’s cocktail.

3. Oh my god that sounds divine!!!! I LOVE blood oranges!!!

4. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

Ooh, this one may need to happen at our house tonight! Oranges and bourbon are a match made in heaven. :)

5. James from dayoldnews.com on said:

The color alone is reason to make this. I cannot wait to try. I might even brave the hail to get me some blood oranges. Yes, hail in LA. That definitely calls for a cocktail. Happy weekend!

6. Hollie from grabaspoonblog.wordpress.com on said:

Hello Friday night drink!

7. Oh my goodness, this is absolutely gorgeous. What a perfect winter cocktail! I’ve been on a huge Manhattan kick lately (I find it a perfect drink to warm my belly on these chilly winter nights) and this looks like such a lovely variation on my theme. Can’t wait to shake a few of these babies up!

8. Natasha from tartletsweets.blogspot.com on said:

I love bourbon. I love blood oranges. I love angostura. And I love this!

9. vicki archer from vickiarcher.com on said:

Delicious… and sounds like a great job…:) Fabulous photos…
    Enjoy the weekend… xv

10. Laura from thefirstmess.com on said:

Yes to motivation by way of booze. I’ve been enjoying little blood orange or meyer lemon squeezes in my bourbon + rocks lately. So lovely this time of year. And curious-what’s your bourbon of choice at home, Jeanine + Jack?

Hi Laura! We usually have Bulleit.

11. Stacy from delightfulcrumb.com on said:

Oooh, all ingredients I love! This looks absolutely delicious. Those blood oranges are quite the beauties.

12. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

I think I’ll make these for my boyfriend for Valentine’s Day. He’ll love them!

13. Christy Soulian on said:

I love blood oranges! We also have made a blood orange martini, so good!

Hi Christy! We’ll have to try that – Jack loves martini’s :)

This is simply stunning.

15. Beth Lowe on said:

I am making this tonight with the wonderful mandrain oranges I picked up this afternoon at the market. I am also adding St. Germain to the mix. We will see how it turns out. Thanks

16. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

Absolutely gorgeous photos! I’m a bourbon fan, so this is definitely up my alley. The perfect winter drink!

17. Natalie from pinterest.com on said:

Whoops! I commented on the wrong post. These cocktails look incredible tough. I love me some blood oranges.

18. Melissa from o-my-darling.blogspot.com on said:

Oh wow, this looks like a solid cocktail! Sometimes bourbon is overwhelming to me, but the blood orange sounds like its perfect companion.

19. Dinner-Pal from dinner-pal.com on said:

Can you get anything look more fresh than that?! Wow!

thanks… I do enjoy fresh food :)

20. I podcast with someone who has a column on mocktails and is a serious cocktailer (is that a word? oh well, made it one!). Every week, we talk about what cocktail we’re drinking and she outshines me with violet liquors and fancy ice cubes. I usually wind up drinking whiskey with a splash of something in it, so this is clearly my kind of drink. {favorite version to date = whiskey + blood orange juice + amarina cherry juice} These gorgeous pictures don’t make me feel as bad about my cocktail naivety, er, simple taste in drinks :]

21. Pingback: lately | punctuated with food

22. Pingback: It’s Friday Again … Bourbon & Blood Orange | Fresh+Twist Living

23. Pingback: It’s Friday Again … Bourbon & Blood Orange | FRESH + TWIST

24. Pingback: 23 Delicious Ways To Drink Whiskey Tonight | Cocktails | CrazyPundit.com

25. Pingback: The Boys Club | Your Weekly Internet Cocktail Hour