miso-citrus cod en papillote

Miso-citrus cod en papillote // loveandlemons.com

I’m so happy that my orange aversion is over, because I’ve been cooking (and craving) citrus like crazy lately. I love this parchment paper method because the bright flavors infuse together so wonderfully.

Miso-citrus cod en papillote // loveandlemons.com

I found this purple bok choy, isn’t it so pretty? Of course, you can swap in regular bok choy just the same…

I poured a tangy orange-miso sauce over everything before wrapping it up… baked it and unwrapped. I know, it looks fancy, right? But really, it was so so easy…

miso-citrus cod en papillote

Yield: serves 2

miso-citrus cod en papillote

• 2 pieces of cod, about 5-6 oz each
  • 5 or so leaves of bok choy, per serving
  • a few handfuls of mushrooms (hon shimeji or enoki)
  • small handful of chopped scallions
  • 2-3 orange slices per serving
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 large pieces of parchment paper. (about 18 inches wide – the larger the easier)
  • a few red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Citrus-Miso Sauce:
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon miso paste
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
  • 1 tablespoon agave
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • juice of 1/2 an orange (about 3 tablespoons)
  • splash of chile-garlic sauce (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Whisk all sauce ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
  3. Season fish with a little salt & pepper on both sides.
  4. Place bok choy, mushrooms, fish, scallions and pour on about ONE QUARTER of the sauce. Top with orange slices, set aside and prepare your second piece of fish the same way.
  5. Wrap up your parchment by folding the left and right of the paper toward the center, creasing the edges shut as tightly as you can. Next fold and crease the top and bottom edges toward the center. (The first fold will want to fall apart until you get the top and bottom folded).
  6. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and Let it sit for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Open it and check for done-ness. It should be opaque on the outside and still slightly translucent in the center. If your fish is not all the way cooked, fold the paper shut again and let it sit and steam for another minute or two. (no need to put it back in the oven unless it’s extremely underdone).
  7. When your fish is done, pour the rest of the sauce over the top and serve.

Notes

*alternatively, you can bake everything in glass baking dish and cover it with foil. Note: don’t wrap your fish in foil because the citrus will react with the foil and affect the taste.

1. Natasha from tartletsweets.blogspot.com on said:

My boyfriend and I love doing dish this way. Bok choy, beech mushrooms, orange, and red pepper flake sounds like a gorgeous combination with the fish. Will definitely be trying it!

2. Elizabeth from brooklynsupper.net on said:

I’m petrified to cook fish, but your approach seems so simple. I think I can do this! Lovely meeting you at Alt, I hope our paths cross again soon!

Hi Elizabeth, loved meeting you too!

3. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

This fish sounds so good–and perfect for citrus season! Love the orange-miso combination. The papillote method is one of my favorite ways to cook fish–so juicy and flavorful and easy all at once. :)

4. lovely post, recipes and photos as usual! never found purple bok choy here, I urge a trip to the ethnic food market soon!
    have a lovely Sunday,
    ciao! Barbara

I hadn’t seen it before either! I just thought it was so pretty…

5. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

Wow! That bok choy! I have never seen that type before. Such a pretty meal!

6. Annie from anniefargo.blogspot.com on said:

how many servings do you estimate this makes? Thank you!

It serves 2 (sorry, I meant to mention that in the recipe!).

7. We grow a lot of purple bok choy! What a lovely dish. The perfect meal to cheer me up on a dreary Oregon day!

8. Jess from inquiringchef.com on said:

That sauce sounds absolutely amazing – I can’t wait to try it. I love doing fish en papillote but I struggle with being creative when I prepare it this way – thank you, as always, for the beautiful inspiration.

9. Corbin from decor-eat.blogspot.com on said:

Yum! This recipes looks awesome and looks fairly easy. Thanks for sharing!! New fan and follower here.

Have a great week! Hope you can check out decor-eat sometime.

Corbin

10. Hands down, my favorite way to prepare fish. Look at those cute little mushrooms! And now I’m off to find some purple bok choy.

11. Sonja from acouplecooks.com on said:

What a cute photograph! This looks delicious.

12. Claire L from justblitherblather.wordpress.com on said:

I love fish baked in packets! This looks delicious, and as always, your photos are stunning – so clean and bright!

13. Pingback: MISO CITRUS COD EN PAPILLOTE | POP & SIZZLE

14. Emily on said:

Thought I’d let you know that I cooked this tonight and loved it! I think I’ll try cooking in a bag more often!

15. Brana on said:

I have made this twice, and going to make it again on Tuesday. Used cabbage, and red onions and lemons instead.
    In marinade used lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. No mushrooms as my kids don’t like them.
    Went down a treat, kids loved it could not get enough of it. Thank you so much for a wonderful idea. It’s already a meal that will became a regular. Thank you :)

I’m so glad you’ve adapted it to use ingredients you (& your kids) like! Thanks so much for sharing!

16. Anne on said:

We just had this tonight… followed the recipe exactly, except for substituting peanut oil for sesame oil as we were out. Very good… a definite ‘make again’! Thank you!

17. Pingback: Wish List: Miso | Cake Over Steak