chickpea radicchio wraps

Chickpea Radicchio Wraps / www.loveandlemons.com

I just can’t get enough of non-bread wrappy things lately, so I was very excited when this cute little radicchio head showed up in my vegetable delivery box last week. Not that there’s anything wrong with bread, (and I did eat cake for breakfast this morning), but I’m trying to eat a bit lighter overall. And I just love the crunch of these crisp radicchio leaves.

Chickpea Radicchio Wraps / www.loveandlemons.com

Do you all get a CSA box? If you don’t, I highly recommend subscribing to one. I’m not going to lie, it can be a little overwhelming. You’ll ask “what the heck is kohlrabi and what do I even do with it.” But you’ll figure out how to be resourceful and cook with what you have around, rather than heading to the store for exact ingredients for an exact recipe.

And yes, I could have picked up radicchio at the store, but I wouldn’t have thought to make these little cuties had one not shown up at my door.

Find one in your area here. (I personally get Farmhouse Delivery in Austin. Other good choices in this area are Greenling and Johnsons Backyard Garden).

chickpea radicchio wraps

Yield: serves 3-4 as an appetizer

chickpea radicchio wraps

Chickpeas:
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • a good splash of olive oil
  • a good squeeze of lemon & a bit of the zest
  • 1/2 clove minced garlic
  • a few pinches of red pepper flakes
  • salt, pepper
  • Basil Parsley Oil:
  • 2 big handfuls of a mix of basil & parsley
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • juice of half a lemon (about 3-4 tablespoons)
  • 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
  • 1/2 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon honey
  • salt & pepper
  • Assemble:
  • 1 small head of radicchio
  • chopped parsley & more red pepper flakes for garnish

1. Mix all chickpea ingredients together & coarsely mash. Set aside in the fridge for 15-30 minutes (or make a day ahead). Taste & adjust seasonings.
  2. Make the basil-parsley oil by pulsing all ingredients together in a food processor. Taste & adjust.
  3. Spoon chickpea mix into radicchio cups and top with a little basil-parsley oil.

1. Janet from foodbeautiful.blogspot.com on said:

These look like heaven!

2. Ashley from notwithoutsalt.com on said:

Such pretty little wraps. I used to think radicchio too bitter but I think I’ve matured a bit because now I love it’s sharp edge. The combination of it all sounds perfect.

Thanks Ashley! That means a lot to me coming from you!

3. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

I am all about snacks and wraps like this! I’m not sure I’ve had radicchio before. I’ll have to give it a try. I love using butter lettuce and chard!

4. Sarah Miller from sarah-travelinglight.blogspot.com on said:

I love this! I’m always looking for healthy lunch idea to take to the office aside from the usual salad and this will be great. Awesome as usual!

thanks Sarah! This would be great as a bring-to-work meal. (I would be sure to pack the chickpeas & radicchio separately)

5. Ohh those little leaves are too beautiful! I have been researching CSAs but can’t seem to find the right fit just yet! And recommendations when looking for one?

Have you been to localharvest.org? Otherwise, I would just ask around at your local farmers market.

6. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

These little wraps look super easy, and super fresh and delicious! Now all I need to do is get my hands on some radicchio… :)

7. Laura from thefirstmess.com on said:

CSA subscription definitely brings out the creativity, especially with the loads and loads of the same stuff that seems to keep showing up (in my situation it’s PILES of beets).

Love these sweet little wraps. Radicchio is one of my favorite things. Enjoying the bitterness makes me feel super adult.

thanks Laura! Can’t wait to see your beet recipes coming up :)

8. Alanna from bojongourmet.com on said:

Oh, yum – these look too good. Brilliant use for radicchio, which I never know what to do with when it shows up in my CSA box. Love your recipes and beautiful photos!

The current set up of our apartment makes it really difficult to have the UK equivalent of a CSA box which is really frustrating because I used to love the inspiration of a weekly delivery. This little wraps are exactly the kind of thing I like and it sounds like a perfect combination of flavours and textures.

oh I know, finding a place for that box is a pain (even living in a bigger space). I kept tripping over it in my pantry until I found a better spot. But then I always forget to leave it out and I end up with 2.

10. Erin from naturallyella.com on said:

While I fell in love with my CSA in Illinois, I can’t wait to see what kind of produce I can get through one in California! Love the color and flavors in these wraps!

11. Sooooooo all about this. HOLY gosh.

12. TARTESANDCARO from tartesandcaro.blogspot.fr on said:

perfect for beginning this new year

13. Wow, this website is incredible! I absolutely love your pictures and your recipes!

thank you!

14. I have been looking for CSA’s near me for the past hour now! What an awesome idea. Seriously cool!!

15. Love the simplicity and sheer cuteness of this dish! Whoever says salads are boring needs to visit your site missy!

16. These are adorable! Thanks for the link to the CSAs – I’ve been wanting to join one for awhile now, but didn’t know of any close by. I want to experiment with different vegetables and I think this would be a great way to do that.

17. Heather Adamson from bigcitydreamerfashionista.blogspot.com on said:

great idea!

18. Deryn Macey on said:

Made these last night, super yummy and fresh! Thanks!

19. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity is pre-shivering today

20. L. on said:

Made these for dinner, they were good. Loved the basil parsley oil.

thanks, glad you liked!