what to make with cauliflower?

Cauliflower // loveandlemons.com

I don’t know what exciting plans you all have this weekend, but I have a date with this head of cauliflower. This photo doesn’t accurately show just how big this thing is, but it is the Thanksgiving turkey of cauliflowers. It arrived in my Farmhouse Delivery a few days ago and I’m determined to use up the whole thing…

What do you like to make with cauliflower? Leave me and idea below… I’ll pick my favorite and feature it here next week…

Here are some cauliflower favorites I’ve made before:
Roasted Cauliflower & Hazelnut Salad
Roasted Cauliflower with Rasins & Capers
Cauliflower Crust Pizzas, version 1 and version 2

1. Meg on said:

There is a blog I read that posted what looks like an amazing recipe this week. Haven’t tried it yet (and I in no way represent their blog!) but it seems really healthful and yummy, and the shaved cauliflower seems really interesting! http://www.happyolks.com/shaved-cauliflower-salad/

• This is the first I’ve heard of a shaved cauliflower salad – it looks delicious!!

• Phi from princesstofu.com on said:

It’s a great way to eat it raw. I’m pretty much obsessed with the vegetable bc it’s called chou-fleur in French – and I use it as a term of endearment in lieu of chou. My Francophilia is quite embarrassing…

2. la domestique from ladomestique.com on said:

Just this week I made the Roasted Cauliflower with Gremolata Bread Crumbs from the new Food52 cookbook, and it was delicious. (Seems like roasting is the way to go with this cruciferous vegetable.) I really like the recipe because it seems like something the Italians would have for antipasto during winter.

• Jen on said:

Can’t wait to make this with the purple cauliflower from the farmers market.

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

I’ll definitely have to get that cookbook…

3. Shauna from shecooksmacro.com on said:

If you want another soup to get you through the rest of winter, this one’s super fast and easy- and would be delish with any number of extra seasonings, or maybe eve some toasted pumpkin seeds and sprouts to add some nice crunch and texture (and colour too!). Bonus- use the whole head and have extra to go in the freezer for quick lunches or dinners. Yum! http://www.shecooksmacro.com/2012/01/05/chunky-cauliflower-soup-with-crispy-browned-leeks/

I can’t wait to make this for Jack, he loves mashed potatoes (and I love the healthier take)… and shiitake mushrooms are the way to both of our hearts :)

• Shauna from shecooksmacro.com on said:

awesome! you’ll have to let me know how you both like it. Mmmm shiitake mushrooms- hubs and I feel the same way!!

4. Heather on said:

Roasted cauliflower dipped in homemade pesto. Best snack ever. Or, let’s be real, meal.

• Kate from kateinthekitchen.com on said:

I love cauliflower fried ‘rice’ and packed with peppers and other veggies, plus lots of ginger and garlic, it’s so delicious and light. Now I’m craving that, too!

5. alisa on said:

I make roasted cauliflower leek soup with a little cashew cream and thyme!

mmm… love creamy soups made w/o cream…

6. aneelee from aneelee.wordpress.com on said:

What not to do with cauliflower? It is one of those vegetables and season that we look forward to. It usually goes straight from the market to a roasting tray with a bit of olive oil and gets snacked through before I can plan anything with it. On the rare occasion that it does… Kadai Masala Curry, Cauliflower Pasta Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette (Deborah Madison classic), Cauliflower Steaks, cauliflower puree, pickled cauliflower, cauliflower fritters, Aloo Gobi…

thanks! I love Aloo Gobi (although haven’t made it myself yet). I’m loving the sound of pasta salad with mustard vinaigrette. I’ll have to flip through Deborah Madison’s book and look for that one…

7. Posie from farmlovecooks.blogspot.com on said:

Definitely try a recipe for either cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower with coconut milk. Steam it, mash it with coconut milk and S&P…tastes incredibly creamy and cheesy and absolutely wonderful. A little nutritional yeast wouldn’t hurt either, or crispy roast cauliflower florets strewn in as well. It’s a new favorite of mine from this NYC spot: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/dining/taking-processing-out-of-take-away.html (they add toasted buckwheat on top!)

8. Lauren from gourmetveggiemama.com on said:

Oh, I LOVE cauliflower! I have a million and one uses for it. Some of my favorites are:

Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Pasta with Chard – http://www.gourmetveggiemama.com/2012/12/28/creamy-roasted-cauliflower-and-chard-pasta/
    Cauliflower Mac and Cheese- http://www.gourmetveggiemama.com/2011/12/05/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese/
    Cauliflower Tart – http://www.gourmetveggiemama.com/2011/10/09/cauliflower-tart/.

We have been getting those giganto heads of cauliflower, too — I guess that’s just how they grow in Texas!

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

ha, well everything is bigger here, right?

next time I’m going to blend my soups 2 ways – nondairy for me, and this gruyere version for Jack… I know he’ll just die over it. (One of his favorite things is gruyere grilled cheese).

9. Meletta Pardo from melettapardo.com on said:

I Love cauliflower! I have 2 favorite recipes:

Cauliflower with breadcrumbs: cook cauliflower, heat a pan, add butter and breadcrumbs. Mix with cooked cauliflower, season with salt + pepper. Enjoy!

Cauliflower with bechamel sauce (and cheese and ham):
    Cook cauliflower, prepare bechamel sauce. Add cooked cauliflower to a pan, add bechamel sauce, add sliced ham and/or cheese if you like. Bake in oven.
    Enjoy!

10. Sarah Miller from sarah-travelinglight.blogspot.com on said:

I like to blend it to make a soup creamy!

11. Anouk on said:

Roasted cauliflower garlic onion soup (toss it all in the oven) with smoked paprika oil as finishing touch: it doesn’t get more comfy than that!

Hi Anouk,

Sounds good, do you puree it or keep it chunky?

12. Emma from coconutandberries.tumblr.com on said:

Cauliflower is so underrated :( I love it in so many ways-
    1. Chopped into little florets in a raw salad with red cabbage, carrot, celery, apple, raisins, walnuts and a simple dressing
    2. Mashed! Combine it with parnsip or potato or pureed white beans or cashews for extra creaminess.
    3. Cauliflower rice (keep meaning to try this as tabbouleh or a filling for dolmades as I’ve seen somewhere..)
    4. Curry- coconut based or dry with potatoes-somehow absorbs all the yummy flavours and spices.
    5. Cauliflower cheese. I’m not sure if this is just a UK thing but when we were little my Mum would make a white sauce, pour it over lightly steamed cauliflower, sprinkle with cheese and bake until bubbly. I don’t eat dairy now but I’m sure a dairy-free version could be made!

thanks Emma, these all sound like delicious ways to go!

Aloo Gobi is one of my favorites… I’ve never cooked it myself before so thanks for the link!

ooh Jack would be so into that soup, maybe I could figure out a cream-less one for myself…

13. Lisa on said:

I love Farmhouse Delivery! I’m so happy that they deliver to Houston, too. I have made a delicious ham and cauliflower gratin from Kalyn’s Kitchen and a curry soup from The Picky Eater blog. I’m thinking about soup again as well as a curry because it’s the world’s largest cauliflower.

I’m glad I’m not the only one with the worlds largest cauliflower!

I had been thinking of a mack and cheese sort of thing, I like your idea with the white beans… really, all 3 of these look amazing!

cocoa cauliflower does sounds intriguing, so weird! But I guess chocolate and avocado worked out :)

14. misschels from chelsniccuisine.blogspot.com on said:

Roasted Cauliflower Hummus:
    Roast chopped fresh cauliflower in oven at 400 F for 40-45 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cool slightly. Puree in a food processor with 2 cloves of garlic, 1-2 T. tahini, salt and pepper, and fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano).

yum, and so easy!

15. Ana from ourhouseinthevalley.com on said:

Mashed cauliflower (good substitute for potatoes), fritters…

16. Claudia from buenprovechoblog.blogspot.com on said:

I recently tried a Paula Wolfert recipe from The Food of Morocco. Cauliflower with olives and preserved lemons. It had the perfect balance of briny and tang. Delicious!

I love that post… it’s been on my to-make list for awhile…

17. When I have a lot of cauliflower I usually make Roasted Cauliflower soup or Cauliflower and Potato Curry. Can’t wait to see what you make of this!

18. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

Well, I just recently made a cauliflower and leek soup with smoked pepper that was really amazing. :) Or you could do roasted cauliflower tossed with pasta, wilted spinach, and super pungent olives and roasted red pepper!

you read my mind because I made that pasta day before I posted this post :)

19. Jennifer from blog.jchongstudio.com on said:

i LOVE cauliflower. LOVE LOVE LOVE… I usually have roasted cauliflower with onions and capers cooked with lemon and thyme so yummy

so unique and different, I would have never thought of this. Intrigued :)

20. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

I know the whole “mashed cauliflower” thing was big awhile back, but I was late to the game with it. Instead of just steaming cauliflower and topping with butter + salt a few weeks back, I decided to stick it in the food processor with herbs, butter, garlic, and milk. My husband and I both loved it! I was kind of shocked. I don’t pretend they’re potatoes, because they’re definitely not, but it’s still really delicious. There are so many fun versions you could make…curry spice…smoked paprika…etc. It’s definitely not fancy, but really tasty!

21. Jessen on said:

Well, growing up I only had it with Makloubeh, but just this past week I had a HUGE head of cauliflower and served it up with a mediterranean chicken meatloaf with roasted garlic hummus and roasted the cauliflower with lemon, garlic, herbs and garnished with parmesan. T’was a great meal! =)

22. Kalli on said:

my husband and i are huge fans. i just sent you a sweet potato and fuji apple soup featuring roasted cauliflower and bacon recipe. it’s been a winter staple for us. hope you like it too!!

23. CamilleCooks from camillecooks.com on said:

Martha Rose Shulman at The New York Times ran some good cauliflower recipes on January 8: “Sicilian Cauliflower and Black Olive Gratin,” “Cauliflower and Tuna Salad,” and “Tunisian Style Baked Cauliflower Frittata.” Try these.

24. roz from italianbellavita.com on said:

Cauliflower in all of its simple glory and in any recipe, just simply rocks! Great post!

25. june2 on said:

Haven’t seen anyone suggest cauliflower steaks so I will! Slice the head into 1″ thick slabs and marinate for a couple of hours in whatever flavors you feel like, I like either ponzu sauce or barbeque, then grill until tender/crisp over charcoal. So delicious.

so interesting, I’ve used jicama in place of sushi rice before, never though of using cauliflower!

26. Amanda on said:

So many great ideas! I’ll thrown mine into the ring as well: if you want to try a wonderful Indian breakfast dish, I’d suggest poha, a savory dish that features flattened rice, veggies, and few spices too. Here is a basic recipe: http://handfulofjoy.com/poha/. I make it frequently and add cooked cauliflower (boiled until al dente) along with the potato (oh, and cumin seeds too). Soo good.

27. Lindsay from apronadventures.com on said:

Excited to see what you come up with! Luke and I both LOVE cauliflower, but often end up just roasting it with olive oil, salt and pepper (sometimes cumin or rosemary) until it’s nice and crisp. So flavorful. But, I also enjoy it in a good Mediterranean-style root vegetable stew :)

28. Pingback: roasted cauliflower & leek soup | Love and Lemons

29. Cara from carascravings.com on said:

I know I’m chiming in late but I love me some cauliflower pureed with a little goat cheese! I also have a recipe for cauliflower braised in a Greek-style tomato sauce with cinnamon.

30. Pingback: roasted cauliflower pasta | Love and Lemons

31. Sini on said:

Just cook it in salted water and enjoy with a knob of butter. A great quick side for example fish or roasted meat.

32. Laura from thespicedlife.com on said:

I know I am way late, but roasted with a drizzle of oil and chaat masala is out of this world.

33. Pingback: Blumenkohl - Hausgemacht Forum der Huettenhilfe

34. The Junk Drunk from thejunkdrunk.wordpress.com on said:

I see that you made a fantastic looking roasted cauliflower pasta. Similarly, I like to roast cauliflower with brussels sprouts in balsamic to top off butternut squash risotto. The risotto is so rich and creamy and a great pair with the tangy veggies – perfect for these cold days: