endive appetizers

Endive Appetizers // loveandlemons.com

Endive… the perfect holiday party snack when it’s time to start laying off the bread already. As the holiday season comes to a close, I’m starting to crave foods that are lighter and brighter.

Endive // loveandlemons.com

I decided to make two of my favorite appetizers (that I love atop toasty crostini)… and serve in crispy endive leaves instead. The first is a super easy sesame tuna tartare. And because parties always need vegetarian options, the second is a lemony white bean puree.

But lets face it, my favorite thing about skipping the bread is that I can endlessly snack away and still have room for dessert. Balance…

Special thanks to the California Endive Farms for the giant box of endive. (All opinions in this post are my own).

Lemony White Bean Puree:
1 cup cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves
zest & juice of 1 lemon
salt & pepper
a few pinches of red pepper flakes, for garnish
chopped chives, for garnish

Puree all ingredients together in a food processor. Chill until ready to use. Taste & adjust seasonings.

Scoop spoonfuls into endive leaves, or in a small bowl with endive leaves on the side for dipping.

Sesame Tuna Tartare:
6 oz piece of sushi-grade tuna, salted, seared & chopped into pieces (yield 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup chopped scallions
sprinkling of sesame seeds

Sear the tuna (optional step). Heat oil in a small pan, when the oil is hot, sear the tuna for about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. You want no more than 1/8 inch on both sides to turn white.

Let the tuna cool to room temperature & chop. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and chill for at least 20 minutes, or until you’re ready to serve. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Scoop tuna on endive leaves. Garnish with extra scallions and sesame seeds.

1. That white bean puree just went on to my New Year’s Eve party menu!!! Sounds light and fabulous!

2. Crista from peacelovequinoa.com on said:

these look amazing. like, absolutely amazing.

3. rosemary on said:

This is an excellent website. I wad lucky coming across it and now I loom forward to checking it each day. Thanks

4. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

Endive leaves sound like the perfect spoon for a bite of something delicious. :)

5. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

I just loaded a bunch of photos for a herb/lemon/garlic white bean cauliflower dip! :) Love the endive idea!

ooh, white bean cauliflower dip sounds delicious, can’t wait for the recipe!

6. Sarah from thesugarhit.com on said:

Your photos make me just about weep with envy. What lighting set up do you use! SO JEALOUS.

thanks :) It’s a pretty makeshift setup in our kitchen. 1 photo light, a diffuser, some white poster board… took lots of trial and error before we got it just right.

7. Things served on endive are always good. The color of the endive in your pictures is beautiful.

8. These are so pretty! I’ve done endive leaves with blue cheese and crushed walnuts but I’ll have to get this a try. Thanks for sharing!

9. Kristin from madbetty.com on said:

Beautiful blog! Congrats on topping the Chronicle’s list of best Austin food blogs. Well-deserved!

thanks Kristin!

10. Elbert Bode on said:

One sure fire way to find appetizers that will get the job doneis to use copycat restaurant recipes. These recipes have beendeveloped by skilled chefs that mimic some of the best entrees,appetizers and desserts from America’s most popular restaurants.”

Current post coming from our new internet site

11. Pingback: How To Survive Thanksgiving If You're Gluten-Free | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

12. Pingback: あなたはグルテンフリーなら感謝祭を生き残るためにはどのように | Instagram