pistachio ice cream

Pistachio Ice Cream // Love & Lemons

I’m starting to get the feeling that it’s time to travel again… and this pistachio ice cream takes me right back to Italy. Last year I destroyed myself on gelato (while in Rome, right?). I know everyone has their favorite spots, but I visited Giolitti every single day, and sometimes twice in a day. I somehow convinced myself that lactose intolerance can’t possibly exist in Italy…

Pistachio Ice Cream // Love & Lemons

And I paid the price for my delusion, but enjoyed every bite nonetheless.

For this at-home version, we used coconut milk instead of dairy. We tried this version using cornstarch in place of eggs and it turned out super creamy & nutty & delicious.

RECIPE:

David Lebovitz’ Pistachio Gelato Recipe
I subbed in coconut milk (full fat) for the whole milk (makes it vegan).

Heidi’s Sweet Pistachio Butter
We made 1/2 of the recipe, with pistachios only. We used it in place of the pistachio paste David calls for in his gelato recipe. Ours was on the chunky side, so we blended all of the ice cream ingredients together before putting it in the ice cream maker.

Topped it with crushed pistachios and chocolate chips.

1. This looks so fabulous. I looove pistachio ice cream!

2. I love these gorgeous pictures and this ice cream! Thanks for the break from the cookie madness!

3. Isabelle Krake from headredandblondi.blogspot.com on said:

Wow that looks good! I’m allergic to dairy too, so the coconut milk sounds really awesome. :D

4. I have such a horrible dairy allergy so this sounds absolutely delightful. I adore using coconut milk in my baking!

5. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

Ohhhkay. This needs to happen. Right after that tomato soup. And I desperately want that ice cream scoop!

I know, I loved that scoop! It has a new home now, so hopefully someone else is enjoying it :)

6. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

When we were in Sicily this summer, I had trouble ordering any flavor OTHER than pistachio. I’m thankful I don’t have a dairy intolerance because I had at least 2 every day ;) I love the beautiful colors – pistachios always add a festive feel to dishes. I hope you have a wonderful holidays! xo

7. The more gelato, the better! Especially when in Italy. This pistachio gelato looks scrumptious.

8. sara forte from sproutedkitchen.com on said:

so beautiful! I love making ice cream but had to take a break because the habit was getting a little out of hand. This looks like the perfect thing to re-enter the world of frozen treats! so perfect.

9. Pingback: Weekend Notes | Camille Styles

10. Kristina from theguilbeaufamily.blogspot.com on said:

This recipe has been a family favorite for us and I am so excited to try it out with coconut milk! Thanks for the beautiful pictures and lovely adaptation of this recipe! Happy New Year :)

11. Alanna from bojongourmet.com on said:

This looks crazy good! Love that it’s made with coconut milk. Gorgeous photos.

thanks! I don’t know what I’d do without coconut milk :)

• Alanna from bojongourmet.com on said:

Totally! It is amazing stuff.

12. christyna on said:

Found your sight after a search for vegan mac and cheese on the internet. So excited to try many of your lovely recipes. A couple of questions for ya before I get going. First, what role does cornstarch play in the ice cream making? And, if you happen to have any experience with this, could one substitute tapioca starch in its place? There’s an ice cream book (Jeni’s splendid ice cream) that calls for either corn syrup and cornstarch, or tapioca syrup and tapioca starch in her recipes. It would be great to veganize all of her recipes :)

My second question is in regards to the type of coconut milk you use. For the most part, canned coconut milks contain guar gum (e.g., native forest), but I recently picked up cans of “Nature’s Value” coconut milk and they have no gums it’s just straight up coconut milk. I’m really excited about that, however, in the case of making vegan ice cream, I wonder if the gums are helpful???

Thanks!

13. georgia on said:

this is a beautifully designed website with the linen background and nice graphics- well done