kale, egg & avocado toast

Kale, egg & avocado toast / Love & Lemons

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend! Ours was filled with family festivities, eating, walking (trying to burn off at least some of the calories consumed)… followed by more eating, and of course some drinking in there too.

Many of you are probably tired of cooking by now, so today’s recipe is not really a recipe. I realized the other day that I rarely post about the food that I actually eat the most… the simple things I throw together for breakfast or a quick lunch.

I eat a version of this at least a few times a week… sometimes without the egg (sometimes without the toast)… always with a good squeeze of lemon. This time, I added a bit of kale sautéed in balsamic. (Because it’s never to early in the day to get those greens in.)

serves 1, scale accordingly

INGREDIENTS:
grainy bread (toasted & rubbed with garlic)
tiny bit of olive oil
small handful of chopped kale
balsamic vinegar
a portion of a ripe avocado
squeezes of lemon
salt & pepper
hemp seeds – optional (I especially like this brand)
fried or poached egg

METHOD:
Saute kale in a little bit of olive oil, and a tiny pinch of salt. Once it begins to wilt down, add a splash of balsamic and continue to cook for about a minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside.

Mash avocado on toast, add a squeeze of lemon and some salt salt. Sprinkle with hemp seeds. Top with kale and fried egg. Sprinkle on a little more salt & pepper, if you wish.

alternative ideas:
- tomato slices, when they’re in season
- chopped up sun dried tomatoes, when tomatoes are not in season
- smashed chickpeas instead of the egg
- spinach, if you don’t have kale
- arugula (just pile it on raw, no need to cook it)
- fresh herbs: basil, cilantro, etc.
- leftover pesto or hummus

1. G from geenarose.blogspot.com on said:

So glad I just came across your blog.. this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

geenarose.blogspot.com

2. Such a perfect looking egg. I love wholesome breakfasts like this.

3. Terry from majamaki.com on said:

Yum! I just bought some fresh kale at the farmers market yesterday, along with some 9-grain sourdough bread. I think I might try this for breakfast this morning. I made this killer vegetarian dinner last night: http://instagram.com/p/SebZTyiE3T/

4. Tiffany from at-altitude.com on said:

Yum, yum and yum…another reason to love kale!!

5. Ashley from edibleperspective.com on said:

Ohhh, I am all about this meal!! But maybe with 2 more eggs on top. ;) I love eggs + toast and avocado toast but never thought to combine the two, especially with sauteed kale. This will be my lunch today! So glad you had a nice Thanksgiving.

6. McKenna Ryan from lynnandlou.blogspot.com on said:

Oh my goodness this looks amazing!! I haven’t eaten breakfast yet and this just made me uber hungry!! You have such a creative eye for making these pictures extra beautiful.
    xx. Mckenna Lou
    p.s. we are giving away an H&M giftcard on our blog today. Hope you can check it out! http://lynnandlou.blogspot.com/2012/11/polka-dot-pants.html

7. Dana from celiackiddo.wordpress.com on said:

Thanks for this – I really love fast, simple and healthy food options! More of what you eat, please!
    -Dana

8. When in doubt, put an egg on it! Love the kale idea – I’m never really sure what to do with it!

9. wendy from delightfulcrab.com on said:

welp. yeah. this looks like dinner.

10. I love how simple, healthy and delicious this looks! I’ll be adding it to my breakfast rotation once I pick up some kale :)

11. Laura from thespicedlife.com on said:

I have no idea why, but soft cooked egg yolks are what taught me to like cooked greens. For some reason I think they are heaven together. So pinning now!

12. bellako on said:

Wow. Made this into 6 small toasts alongside a minestrone soup for dinner with my fiancee this evening. Outstanding. I feel nauseas by balsamic vinegar
    (Actually… any vinegar), so I kicked up the lemon juice for acidity and added salt and fresh cracked pepper atop the eggs. Fab. Will make this often._

glad you liked it, sounds like a nice dinner!

13. bellako on said:

P.s. I used only 3 eggs for 6 small bruschette. I put two toasts side by side… then I placed the poached egg so it was folded over top two toasts. Gorgeous for guests and a more manageable portion.

14. Pingback: best of the brunch | Love and Lemons

15. Pingback: Brunching With The Local Box!|Greenling Austin|San Antonio

16. Pingback: Local Food Can’t Be Beet! DFW Local Box Meal Plan | Eating Out of the Local Box