sweet potato & feta crostini

sweet potato & feta crostini / loveandlemons.com

It’s fall and I’ve been madly in love with this combo lately: roasted sweet potatoes, feta, dried cranberries, sage & honey.

I like to think I’ve become more creative with my cooking since we started this blog (coming up on one year ago!), but in the past few weeks, I’ve used those 5 ingredients in a slightly different form nearly every single night. I’ve tossed them with kale or spinach as a side dish… mixed them with wheat berries or quinoa for a hearty grain salad… I haven’t made a dessert out of them yet, but I wouldn’t say that’s completely of the question.

If I had to pick, I’d say this crostini might have been my favorite. I just love how the sweet, salty, and tangy flavors work on top of toasty grainy bread.

sweet potato & feta crostini

Serves: makes about 8 small pieces, scale accordingly
  • ½ cup cubed sweet potatoes (cut them pretty small for these toasts, about 1cm)
  • whole grain bread slices (I like the purple wheat that's been at my Whole Foods lately)
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • ½ clove of garlic
  • ½ cup crumbled feta
  • ¼ cup dried cranberries
  • 2-3 sage leaves, finely diced
  • honey
  • micro sprouts for garnish (optional)
  • red pepper flakes (optional)
  1. Roast the sweet potatoes: drizzle the cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper, cook in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Watch it a little closely, if you chop these small, they'll cook faster than you might think.
  2. Drizzle the bread slices with a bit of oil and toast them in the oven with the potatoes (about 5-10 minutes depending on your bread). When they're done, take the ½ garlic clove and rub the open side of the garlic on the toast.
  3. Assemble the toasts with sweet potatoes, feta, cranberries, and chopped sage. Top them with a generous drizzle of honey and some more olive oil if you wish. If you like, add a few micro sprouts and little pinch of red pepper flakes, and serve.

1. Maria from twopeasandtheirpod.com on said:

What a gorgeous fall crostini!

The flavours in this are just wonderful; I love that sweet potato and feta combination and when you add a touch of honey and the brightness of cranberries? Perfect. Love.

3. This sounds AMAZING!!! I love every component of this dish. YUM!

4. Leigh from luvvleighb.wordpress.com on said:

Oh yum! I’ve been addicted to goat cheese too! Do you think that will taste right in place of feta?

yes, it’s a combo that people seem to love, I can’t imagine you wouldn’t like it if you love goat cheese. Personally I don’t like goat cheese (I know..I’m in the minority), but love feta.

5. I love this combo too! Perfect fall combo! I want to toss it all together and put it in a twice baked sweet potato!!!!

6. This combination sounds great-I think I’ll try it on a pizza! I love both feta and goat cheese, so I’ll try one on each side.

I’ll report back.
    Thanks!

• Ok, the report–the pizzas were fine. Not fabulous, but fine, and the leftovers will get eaten. I loved the sweet potato with both feta or goat cheese, and I used thyme on one and fresh sage on the other, artichoke on one and onions on the other, but I didn’t add a dried fruit. Perhaps I should have. I need to consider a bolder sauce. Thanks for the inspiration!

I think more of a flatbread might work better than a pizza… (grilling/baking the pizza dough first), adding a good drizzle of oil, and then adding the toppings so they’re more bold and fresh? The cranberries really add a pop of sweetness that really rounds out this combo (for me).

7. Amanda from amandatinker.com on said:

This sounds so good and I’m going to make them for my husband’s surprise party this weekend. I do have a question however. I have a guest who is not a big fan of sage. Would thyme work instead?

Thanks for the post!

yep, I think thyme would be great!

8. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

Oh wow, I love the flavour combinations in this crostini recipe :) Looking forward to trying this!

9. oh my goodness! I can’t seem to leave your blog! :) I love this! I absolutely LOVE crostini’s and love the sweet potato & feta combination!

10. Pingback: Weekend Notes | Camille Styles

11. natster100 on said:

I just found your pretty blog….time to go straight to the supermarket and start cooking! THANK-YOU!

12. Pingback: The Hot Plate » Artisanal Toast: The Next Food Trend?