zucchini noodles & avocado-miso

I was on a raw (well raw-ish) kick last week. Lately, I’ve been trying to eat lighter, and a bit healthier… less heavy starches, that sort of thing. I’ve been feeling really low-energy, so I’m trying to eat more veggie-focussed meals, and incorporate healing foods like miso and hemp seed and ginger.

I love zucchini noodles because they really trick the senses and make you feel like you’re eating more than a bowl full of raw vegetables. Don’t get me wrong – they’re not pasta, but they have a nice tender bite that I find to be reminiscent of an al dente noodle.

Because they’re on the lighter side, I prefer them with a with a really saucy sauce. They’d be great with a chunky tomato sauce or a light cream sauce, but I went for this cooling avocado miso sauce. I added ginger, cumin and cayenne to add a flavor punch.

I paired all this healthy-ness with a nice chilled glass of rose.

serves 2
portions may vary depending on the size of your zucchinis and avocado

ZUCCHINI NOODLE TOSS:
2 medium zucchinis
1/2 cup chopped mango
1/2 cup edamame (shelled and blanched)
1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
extra squeezes of lime and extra salt, if necessary

AVOCADO MISO SAUCE:

1 avocado
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1 lime zest and juice
1 small zucchini (about 1/2 cup or so)
1/2 tablespoon miso
to that recipe, I added these things:
1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
a little extra miso, add to taste (as you would salt)

METHOD:
I blended the dressing components together in the Vitamix until it was silky smooth. (If you’re not using a vitamix (or similar), your sauce will be a bit more chunky than mine appears here).

I make my zucchini noodles with this device. I know, gadgets are a pain – and this one is kind of clunky to store, but I find it quite fun and easy to use. You could also use a julienne peeler, they will be less curly and more straight, but will still be nice little thin “noodle-like” strips.

Toss the noodles with as much or little sauce as you like. Taste and adjust seasonings (the sauce will become more diluted as you toss it with the noodles, so you’ll likely have to add some salt and pepper).

Top the noodles with the rest of the components and serve right away, with extra sauce on the side.

This recipe made a good amount of extra sauce (I also had a pretty large avocado), and because avocados brown quickly, it only lasted an extra day in the fridge. I topped my leftover sauce on a kale salad the following afternoon.

1. Your noodles look so perfect! Have you already done a post explaining how you get them to look so nice? :)

oh thanks for pointing that out – I forgot to mention the actual noodle-making! I just added a little paragraph with some links in the instructions. I have a zucchini noodle maker and it makes pretty noodles every time – it’s foolproof.

2. I reckon you eat really healthily already! But I do agree this noodle dish is particularly, extraordinarily healthy. ;)

3. erin from 5stepveg.blogspot.com on said:

omg THANK YOU for posting a link to you noodle devices! i’ve been looking high & low for a good way to make veggie noodles & this is beyond perfect. thanks! :)

you’re welcome, I’m glad! Yes, both work out pretty well, but I do love that spiraler.

4. Laura from thefirstmess.com on said:

I think that avocado sauce would be delicious slathered on a bike tire even. Yum. Probably better on zucchini noodles though :)

5. I’m also trying to eat always healthier food and probably stop meat, this recipe seems delicious, I’ll be glad to try it !

6. This is so fun! I have been wanting to get a spiral slicer for recipes like this, but I just have too many kitchen gadgets already! I’ll have to stick with the julienne slicer.

I know the feeling I can get carried away with gadgets :)

7. Nicole on said:

Do you put the avocado in the dressing or just tossed in with the noodles? I may be blind, but I didn’t see it in either section…

• Nicole on said:

Great! Thanks for confirming. Can’t wait to make this! It looks delish!

8. looks great! i love anything with miso and avocado. and of course, zucchini seem to be all over the place these days!

9. Amelia from sistersinthekitchen.co.uk on said:

Delicious, thankyou!

10. This is my first visit to your blog and it is absolutely gorgeous. Your photos are beautiful and I love all of the healthy food here!

Thanks Tiffany! welcome :)

11. I stinkin’ love raw squash! I worked at a raw restaurant for a couple of months last summer and didn’t enjoy the experience, so I’m kind of “over” complicated raw food in general… this is a different story. Yum.

12. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

Wonderful idea. I must buy a zucchini noodle maker. I have an abundance of zucchini right now and am surprisingly running out of ideas of what to make with it. Zucchini noodles sounds wonderful – especially when paired with such a delicious sounding sauce. Yum!

This is exactly the kind of food that I’m craving at the moment, adore it.

14. I love how well your noodles came out! I have the Joyce Chen spiralizer, and it worked with pretty poor results. It can really only make fetttuccini type noodles well. Got some good ideas here for a salad dressing for my kale!

aw, that’s too bad – this one that I have seems to work pretty well, I’ve only used twice, with good results both times.

15. Ashlae from ohladycakes.com on said:

Alright. You convinced me. I bought the friggin’ spiral vegetable slicer.

ha! I feel like this post (& comments) made me some sort of salesperson – i hope you find that you like it and won’t be mad at me when you have to store one more gadget :)

16. I am going to have to add yet another gadget to my Christmas Wish List. Your zucchini noodles are beautiful!!

17. Betty Bake from bettybake.co.za on said:

looks soooo delicious :)
    yum
    hugs
    Betty Bake

18. Milynn from love-and-whimsy.blogspot.com on said:

Yum! this looks so good! I’d never would’ve guessed those were not real noodles! Brilliant idea, I’m going to link this on my blog :)

19. Pingback: green papaya salad | Love and Lemons

20. Pingback: When Your Vegan Friend Comes for Dinner: Zucchini Avocado Miso Noodles | gen(hungr)y

21. Pingback: This Spicy Watermelon & Avocado Salad Is A Total Game-Changer | Most Searched Ever

22. Heidi on said:

Is there something one can substitute for avocado? As much as I’d like to eat it, I’m terribly allergic and this recipe sounds wonderful.

23. Heidi on said:

Now that’s something I can have, looks great, thank you!