peach & pesto crostini

I feel fall suddenly coming on. We went for a walk last night after dinner and Jack made fun of me for putting a sweater on. But really, after living here so long, I think I can consider 75 degrees a “cold front.”

While the break from the heat is a welcomed one, I can’t say that I’m quite ready for summer to end. I see sweet potatoes and butternut squashes starting to come in… there will be time for those… but for now I’m savoring the last of the good summer produce.

This was probably my favorite salad of the summer… I’ve made it over and over again in one variation or another. Here, I made it as crostini. Same stuff. Add bread.

I sliced my peach into 6 segments, so this yielded 6 pieces. Alter quantities according to how many you want and how large your peaches are.

INGREDIENTS:
slices of bread, (drizzle with olive oil, grill or toast)
1 peach (firm, yet ripe)
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of balsamic vinegar
a few leaves of arugula for each piece
fresh mozzarella, sliced (optional)
a few dollops of pesto

mint & basil pesto:
1 packed cup of a mix of mint & basil
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (you could also use walnuts instead)
1/2 garlic clove, roughly chopped
juice and zest from 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup olive oil (or more)
a few pinches of red pepper flakes
salt & pepper

METHOD:
Slice the peaches into 6 segments per peach. In a small bowl, toss peaches with olive oil, balsamic, and just a small pinch of salt.

Heat your grill (or grill pan) to medium high heat and brush it with some oil. Place the peach slices on the hot grill and cook each side for 2-3 minutes without moving them (near the end you can gently peek to see how your grill marks are coming along). When your peaches are grilled, set aside and allow them to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile make the pesto. Combine all ingredients in a small food processor and pulse to combine. Add more oil for a smoother pesto, or leave it chunky – whichever consistency you prefer.

Assemble crostini.

See this post for more info about how I grilled my peaches.

1. wendy from delightfulcrab.com on said:

wow this looks incredible. i’ve never put peach with pesto. great idea!
    delightfulcrab.com

2. Heather from sundaymorningbananapancakes.blogspot.com on said:

So beautiful and simple – perfect late summer fare

3. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

What an amazing and easy late summer lunch! I love the combination of sweet summer fruit with savory pesto–I’ve actually been making a similar concoction with figs. Peaches sound like a great idea!

4. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

I can hardly believe that September is knocking on my door. Where do these summers go? I’ve been spotting the season’s first apples, and already, summer is starting to fade. But, I think I’m actually ready for fall leaves and apple pies…

5. Peaches, arugula, toast… all my favorite things!

6. Classically amazing recipe! I agree, I can smell fall in the air here in Chicago and I am just not ready yet!

7. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

What a lovely idea! I’m bringing these to a BBQ this weekend. A great way to celebrate the end of summer produce. Bring on the pumpkin and butternut squash though! I cannot wait for fall :) Not looking forward to snow mind you. *hehe*

8. Jess from inquiringchef.com on said:

I never would have thought of this combination, but to see it in pictures, it seems like it would definitely be lovely together. There’s nothing like grilled peaches – I’m always amazined with the flavor it brings out!

9. sarah from thevanillabeanblog.com on said:

This looks delicious. And, same here, fall is coming too quickly. I love apples and pears, but I’m hanging on to those peaches.

10. Pingback: More Recipes Using Fresh Peaches - From Garden To Kitchen | From Garden To Kitchen

11. Pingback: Market Pick Five | Early August - Naturally Ella