roasted shishito peppers

Before this year, I don’t think we even knew these existed. Now we can’t get enough of them. They seem to be on the menu of nearly every restaurant we frequent and we’ve ordered them countless times… finally, I started making them at home. And I’ll tell you, they are just as good. And as with any simple vegetable preparation, the goodness is likely due to the fact that we’ve had really amazing ones available to us all summer long at our farmers markets.

The fun thing about eating these mildly sweet peppers is the fearful anticipation that you’ll get a hot one. I’m all for spicy food, but surprise spicy food is that much more fun.

as I mentioned above, I get these from our farmers market, I’ve never actually seen them in any grocery store. I’ve heard you can also get them at Japanese specialty markets. Availability will vary by region and season.

ROASTED SHISHITO PEPPERS:

a few big handfuls of shishito peppers
olive oil
salt, pepper
toasted sesame seeds for garnish (after they’re roasted – optional)

Wrap peppers in foil, drizzle some olive oil, and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Close foil and bake in a 450 degree oven for 5-7 minutes. I like to then open the foil and turn on the broiler for an additional 2 minutes. The cook time will depend on the heat of your oven (and the peppers are very forgiving, no exact time is required) just be sure to cook them until they have black blistered marks.

Let cool, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, and serve with a dipping sauce

Alternatively, you can cook them on high heat in a skillet, or on a grill.

DIPPING SAUCE OPTIONS:

Sunbutter:
Pictured above – this time I just happened to have leftover sunbutter from this recipe from Good Things Grow which worked wonderfully with these.

or:

Quick Peanut Sauce:
a few scoops of peanut butter
splash of soy sauce
splash of rice vinegar
pinch of sugar
squirt of sriracha

Stir to combine, taste and adjust, add water as needed to thin it out.

or:

Miso Dipping Sauce
from this post

1. So simple and gorgeous! I see these little guys everywhere now too! Guess you are on trend with what’s what in food!

These sound like an Asian version of pimientos de padron (one of my favourite Spanish dishes ever) so I’m definitely on board with these!

3. Jennifer from blog.jchongstudio.com on said:

looks super tasty – just wanted to say i love everything about your blog! :)

4. Kristen from dineanddish.net on said:

Oh my – what a beautiful, delicious idea for a dish… I love that the surprise inside may be a super hot one. Gotta love that.

Off to see if I can find these at our outdoor market today!

5. Elliott from fforfood.blogspot.com on said:

Sunbutter!?! First of all, the name alone is so precious it makes me want to pull my hair out! And I tell you what, I love a shisito pepper, all blistery and hot and awesome. I always order them on a menu but have never really considered preparing them at home. But WHY NOT?
    Thanks!!

6. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

Shishito peppers (and padrons) have become a staple at our markets. I first started seeing them a few summers ago and now I’m pretty much addicted. I love the idea of dipping them in a sauce! Lovely photos.

7. Shishito peppers are one of my favorite izakaya snacks, but I haven’t tried making them at home yet…love the dipping sauces!

8. Pingback: - Wilder Quarterly

9. Carrie on said:

I just bought a shishito pepper plant at the farmer’s market today, not having any idea what kind of peppers they were. I’ve saved this so when they hopefully grow, I will have some clue as to what to do with them! Thanks!

10. Pingback: roasted shishito peppers | Love and Lemons