pesto, many ways

We’ve been making a lot of pesto lately. It’s great just to have on hand, especially for lazy summertime cooking. Dollop it on grilled vegetables, fish, meats, tofu, pasta, salads, eggs, toasted bread, pizza, sandwiches… you get the idea. It makes anything an instant tasty meal whether you really felt like cooking or not.

I have little sticky notes all over my kitchen scribbled with the various ingredients we’ve been subbing in (yes, that’s my organization “system”). Finally it occurred to me that I’m not going to send you to the store for a specific recipe. Instead, I’ll share a basic recipe and then offer some ideas of how you can change it up.

But the first thing you need to do is go look in your kitchen and see what you already have. You probably already have some kind of nuts, herbs or greens to use as a starting point. More often than not, if I make a pistachio pesto, it’s not because I’m trying to be fancy… pistachios just happened to be the nut I had that day. If I have some arugula in the fridge that’s getting close to it’s last days, I’ll use that. I have two huge basil plants so a basil combo is a common go-to for me.

I’m sure there are a million more ideas than the ones I’ve listed here, if you have a favorite, feel free to share!

depending on the variation, you will yield around 1 cup of pesto

cilantro
parsley
arugula
spinach

or 1 handful of basil and about 1 cup of any of these:
kale (blanch it first)
zucchini (raw, cut into cubes)
artichoke hearts
sun dried tomatoes
roasted red pepper
1/2 an avocado
stems of green vegetables (boiled until soft)

try switching out pine nuts for:
walnuts
pistachios
almonds
pecans
hazelnuts
(note: use unsalted nuts so you can adjust the salt level. toast lightly, and let cool)

some extras:
parmesan cheese
nutritional yeast
red pepper flakes
use roasted or poached garlic instead of raw garlic
splash of champagne vinegar or balsamic vinegar (or more if you don’t have a lemon)
splash of agave or honey, if it tastes too acidic

METHOD:

Blend all ingredients, except olive oil, in a food processor. Drizzle in olive oil last while the food processor is running. (or if you don’t have that spout on your processor like I don’t, just put it in last).

Taste and adjust, adding more of any of the ingredients you used along the way until you create something you like. Every day I make a pesto, it’s slightly different. My lemon may have been more tart or sweet than another day, my garlic might have been more pungent, my basil might be sweeter depending on what season it’s growing in.

some other notes:
For a chunkier pesto, use a mortar and pestle (you may need to use less ingredients depending on how large yours is).

If you want a thinner pesto, add more olive oil. If you want to go lighter on the oil, add some water instead. Also, if you have leftover pesto, it’ll thicken a bit the next day. Add water or more olive oil to thin it out. I find that I can keep pesto for about 3 days, covered in the fridge. The one exception (given the choices above) is if you use an avocado. Avocado pesto will last only about 1 extra day.

1. Rachel from studiocuisineblog.com on said:

Thank you SO much for interesting a note about what to do if you don’t have a spout on your food processor! I’ve been so lost up until now about what to do when recipes require that. Pinning this as a go-to for pesto :)

You’re welcome… I’m sure it does something to emulsify, but it totally works fine without it. Even when I forget to put the olive oil in last and I mix everything all at once, it works out just fine.

2. val from dinkydoover.blogspot.com on said:

Great post. I thought arugula-pecan was my favorite, but then I made dandelion pesto. In addition to tasting amazing, it really holds its green color.

3. Linda on said:

Last night I brought home a big basil plant which I bought because I love basil and pesto. I found myself wishing this morning that I knew some interesting, delicious variations for pesto. Presto! Your post came this afternoon. When I finish typing, I’m going in to the kitchen to make, yes, pesto. Thank you.

4. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

Yay pesto! I usually make mine without any nuts at all, and it still turns out beautiful and delicious. :)

5. I’ve been doing the Green Goddess thing for the last few weeks, but I want to mix it up a bit, so I guess it’s going to be a pesto summer! I love these kinds of recipes, that are more like guidelines. Thanks for the tips!

6. Shira from inpursuitofmore.com on said:

Fabulous post! I’ve been loving your blog (ever since you featured one of my recipes here – thank you!) – and this is a wonderful post for the adventurous pesto lover! Thanks for the gorgeous shots, this is so elegant!

7. great ideas! my favorite is ramp pesto, but sadly those are only around for a short time :(.

8. Kimberley from theyearinfood.com on said:

I love pesto. So I’m into this. It’s so darn versatile!

I’ve had a lot of fun this year experimenting with pesto. My favourite version used sunflower seeds which I always seem to have on hand in vast quantities. There is such a world of difference between home made pesto and store bought pesto that it’s very hard to go back.

Ah yes, I’m going to add sunflower seeds to the list, love them.

10. Jenn Beck from jennbeckeats.blogspot.com on said:

I love these suggestions. I’m eager to try adding avocado to some pesto. My basil plants have been going crazy lately so I’ve been stock-piling my freezer with pesto to get me through the basil-free winter months. A couple of my favorite non-basil pestos are ramps with walnuts, as well as arugula with goat cheese.

11. Kathleen on said:

My favorite pesto these days is made with garlic scapes (also not in season very long…) along with almonds, olive oil, and some sea salt. The scapes add bulk to the garlicky flavor and a lovely green color. Wonderful post. Thank you!

12. Julianna from Www.juliannacollettphotography.com on said:

Eeeeek…lemons on th marble LOL! Thanks for taking the time to take to me I appreciate your generosity. I hope my food looks half as good on our counter.

ha! …but note that it’s not a lemon cut in half where juices could drip out :)

13. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

Great idea! Love all the fantastic substitution suggestions.

14. Peanut from peanutincookingland.blogspot.it on said:

Just discovered your blog,and as soon as I’ve seen the first two pages I have fallen in love yet. (oh,sorry for my mistakes,but I’m italian!)
    You’re kind of GOD,i swear!I’m a vegetarian and your dishes are simply a dream came true. From now I’ll follow you faithfully:) sincere congrats! <3

you’re so sweet, thank you!

15. Miss McBooty from foodiemcbooty.com on said:

Pesto just SCREAMS summer to me. I can’t wait to take my basil crop and make a fresh jar of pesto to last me throughout the winter months. Is it scary that I’m excited to kill all of my basil? At least it’s for a good cause. :) Cheers!

16. Carey Morgan from CareyOnLovely.blogspot.com on said:

I made arugula pesto just last night. Basil is still my favorite kind, but this was refreshingly pepper-y from the greens. Coming to my blog later this week.

17. Mmm, just what I need for dinner tonight! We love fresh pesto tossed with pasta (homemade on a good day). Don’t you just love summer and all the fresh food it brings with it?

18. Eugenia from everylloc.blogspot.co.uk on said:

I love pesto too! Thank you for your tips.
    I use to use almonds or sun dried tomatoes and they really work very well.

19. supercaliveggie from supercaliveggie.wordpress.com on said:

Recently I tried pesto made with almond and capers, it was very good! Your blog is awesome!

20. ali from livingintolerance.wordpress.com on said:

Awesome recipes! I love a good pesto, and basil and pinenuts taste wicked together! Beautiful blog :)

21. Pingback: Zucchini Noodle Pasta (with the best tomatoes EVER) | 80twenty

22. Pingback: mango pesto | Love and Lemons

23. Pingback: Bocconcini Tomato skewers - Confessions of a Closet Foodie

24. Pingback: From the Kitchen of Love and Lemons: Pizza, Pasta, & Pesto | Rue La La

25. Pingback: Annual Guide to Schools » pickled chard quinoa bowls