Roasted tomato brown rice pasta

Did you know that slavery is happening in today’s tomato fields? Did you know that it is happening, not in a distant land, but right here in the US? They are calling Florida’s tomato fields “ground-zero” for modern-day slavery. I didn’t know this, but it sure inspires me to become even more aware of where the food I eat comes from.

Nicole Gulotta, who writes the beautiful food philanthropy blog The Giving Table, has organized today as Food Bloggers for Slave-Free Tomatoes. A whole bunch of food bloggers are posting their slave-free tomato recipes today as a collective voice for change. Here’s the nitty gritty:

The Solution:
Recipe for Change–a campaign led by International Justice Mission in partnership with the Fair Food Standards Council and the Coalition of Immokalee Workers–is targeting three major supermarket chains this summer (Ahold, Publix and Kroger’s), and asking its CEOs to support the Fair Food Program. Corporations that join agree to pay a small price increase for fairly harvested tomatoes (1.5 cents more per pound), and promise to shift purchases to the Florida tomato growers who abide by these higher standards–and away from those who won’t.

Major fast food companies, like McDonalds and Subway, have already endorsed the Fair Food Program, but the largest U.S. supermarket chains have yet to support this collaborative effort to eradicate modern-day slavery.

Call to Action:
Supermarkets can help eliminate slavery and other serious abuses from the tomato supply chain when they join the Fair Food Program. But in order to change its policies, CEOs need pressure from consumers.

Take 30 seconds, raise your voice, and sign your name to help ensure that supermarket tomatoes are slave-free!

serves 2.
Note that the roasted tomato recipe below requires 2-3 hours of roasting time.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pint cherry tomatoes (from your local farmers market, whole foods, trader joes, your friend’s garden, etc).
6-8 oz. brown rice pasta
a few tablespoons of olive oil
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
a few handfuls of arugula
a few squeezes of lemon
a handful of chopped basil
salt & pepper, to taste
toasted pine nuts (optional)
red pepper flakes (optional)
dollop of pesto (optional)
shaving of parmesan, (optional)

METHOD:

Roast tomatoes, I like this method from Smitten Kitchen. Mine were done just after 2 hours – I took them out while they were still just a tad juicy. Yes, this is a long time, but it’s all hands off so it’s super easy. You could even make them ahead of time.

Cook pasta until al dente. Reserving some of the pasta water, scoop out the noodles into a large bowl and toss with the remainder of the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking, adding more pasta water if you need to loosen things up.

1. Tiffany from at-altitude.com on said:

Great- I am now craving pasta at 10AM :)

2. Rachel from studiocuisineblog.com on said:

What a great cause. So happy to sign this petition.

3. Ashlae from ohladycakes.com on said:

I’ve been craving pasta lately. And what do you know! My kitchen is currently stocked with every ingredient needed to make this roasted tomato pasta. Now, if only it wasn’t 95˚ outside..

Such a lovely and simple pasta dish – the way tomatoes are supposed to be enjoyed and, hopefully, slave free from now on.

5. fabiola from notjustbaked.com on said:

I love this awareness, and what you and the other bloggers are bringing to our attention. Thank you so much for this post, and being a part of the voice that needs to be heard so loud that no one can ignore it.

6. Your photos are gorgeous, and I love the dollop of pesto, too! Thanks so much for taking part in Food Bloggers for Slave-Free Tomatoes.

7. sarah from thevanillabeanblog.com on said:

I love this – it’s fun and beautiful at the same time. So glad to see you taking part today!

8. Sonja from acouplecooks.com on said:

Love your recipe card — so cute :) Thanks for raising awareness!!

9. Heather from sundaymorningbananapancakes.blogspot.com on said:

Wow I had no idea about the tomato situation – it is disheartening that these Major Grocery Stores did not immediately jump on board, thank you for sharing this information, definitely makes me appreciate even more that I know exactly where my tomato came from and who grew it and it was totally grown with love

Your Summer Tomato Pasta looks amazing – super summer flavors all in one bowl!

10. Best Ecig from ecigarette2013.weebly.com on said:

Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.|