peach salsa with mint

I’ve been binge eating peaches lately. Usually I’m pretty disciplined about buying only a few peaches at a time. I’ll even stagger my peach buying… 2 one day, 2 a few days later, so that every few days (during peach season) I have a manageable amount of peaches to consume on that one day when they’re perfectly ripe.

So when my bi-weekly Farmhouse Delivery started sending me 12 peaches at a time (for the last 3 bushels in a row) my summer “peach system” was, needless to say, wrecked. (I know, it’s rough… my life… they’re really awesome peaches too).

That is until last week they sent me about 10 jalapenos. So this time instead of eating all 12 peaches in (practically) one sitting, I chopped up the extras with some of my jalapeno bounty and made this peach salsa.

My intention was for this salsa treatment to extend the peaches – they should last a few days longer in the fridge preserved in lime juice. But Jack and I polished this off in one sitting on some tacos. So I guess the peach binge continues.

This would be great on so many summery dishes – on top of grilled fish, on a salad topped with black beans or shrimp, in tacos, or just scooped up with chips.

makes about 1.5 cup

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 of a small red onion, finely chopped
juice and zest of 2 limes
4 ripe peaches, finely chopped
1 small jalapeno, seeded and very finely chopped (or more or less if you like)
2 tablespoons chopped mint (or you could use cilantro)
salt, to taste

METHOD:
Chop and combine all ingredients in a small bowl.

I like to let the red onion sit in the lime juice for a few minutes while I chop up the rest of the ingredients to tone down a bit of the harsh raw onion flavor. This is best if chilled in the refrigerator for a least 20 minutes in order for the flavors to mesh together.

1. No peaches yet here in Washington. I only like peaches when they’re local & in season. Otherwise, they’re a huge let down. But when they are freshly picked, oh my. That is heaven. Costco carries a tolerable storebought fresh salsa. It’s actually quite good, but pales in comparison to the likes of the real, home made stuff.

These pics are making me CRAVE some good peach salsa right about now.

oh so sad… I keep forgetting that we get this kind of produce earlier than northern states. The texas peaches this year are amazing!

• Going to be moving to San Antonio this fall, so I’ll get to enjoy some of that nearly year-round fresh produce.

I really love the combination of sweet juicy fruit and zingy jalapeño. This sounds utterly delicious.

3. kankana from sunshineandsmile.com on said:

Love summer for two reasons. The sunshine and stone fruits! This probably would be in my menu for Friday night movie bite :)

4. Haha, I thought I was the smart one to come up with using lime zest in salsa :) . I do have an overabundance of peaches here in Texas right now, so salsa seems like a great idea.

5. ileana from alittlesaffron.com on said:

So pretty! And I bet it tastes as good as it looks.

6. Just give into the peaches. No use fighting them. Your salsa looks mighty tasty, I made something similar last summer but added avocado and used cilantro instead of mint. It didn’t last long!

7. Kat on said:

I love your blog (and am fairly new to it) – I didn’t realize you lived in Texas until I saw the farmhouse link! I needed ideas for the jalapeños from this weeks bushel & now I have one. Keep the bushel recipes coming! -kat

8. Yay, peaches! We must be on the same wavelength :) Peach salsa is one of my favorite things ever. I love your inclusion of mint here!

9. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

Cannot wait for peaches to be in season here! I will definitely be making this salsa. Love the sweetness of mango salsa. I can only imagine how fantastic peach would be in its place :)

10. Heather from sundaymorningbananapancakes.blogspots.com on said:

What a great idea and use of your CSA – loving the photos and the vibrant colors!

11. buckwheattobutter from buckwheattobutter.blogspot.com on said:

Yum. I too am on a stone fruit binge these days. Just made the switch from apricots to peaches. Can’t wait to try this.

12. Carolyn Kinsey on said:

I have an unbelievable bounty of huge peaches. I have canned preserves, I have frozen them for ice cream. Now I want to put up Peach Salsa, but…I need to know how long will the salsa will last and do I need to keep all of it in the refrigerator? The peaches are fresh and diced with fruit fresh in the refrigerator now, but if I put these in mason jars will they hold up for say a month. I intend to put up a lot. Any help would be wonderful….thanks.

Hi Carolyn,

I’ve never preserved or jarred anything myself so I really have no experience to share in that category. This peach salsa recipe would probably only keep for a few days in the refrigerator. I imagine there would be more involved to making a peach salsa that can be jarred… if you find a recipe or method, please share!

13. Pingback: Breakfast, lunch and dinner: peaches three ways | Always a Good Dinner

14. michelle on said:

Can you use canned or frozen peaches? I have lots of canned and frozen peaches from my tree this year, along with lots of jalapenos!