Roasted carrots & cilantro

We don’t really like carrots. Ok, I take that back, we like cake made out of carrots, and we like raw carrots, but both Jack and I grew up with a disdain for cooked carrots. Of course, we only knew them as the mushy baby carrot version. Or worse yet, the mushy baby carrots in the pot roast version. We both have memories of our moms smasing the carrots and boiled potatoes together and pouring gravy on top. “But it’s so good this way”, my mom would say… each and every time… as if one day this mush would miraculously taste like ice cream.

But last Saturday at the farmers market, I couldn’t pass up this bag of colorful carrots. (It also helped that the design of the label on the bag was so darn cute). I brought them home and realized that cake was out, as it would be the ugliest looking brown carrot cake. So instead, I decided it was high time to make cooked carrots taste good – by roasting them to tender-not-mushy-caramelized goodness. I made a tangy cilantro yogurt to dip them in, and we both devoured them.

INGREDIENTS:

carrots:
1 bunch carrots
drizzle of olive oil
other half of the garlic clove, from above recipe
salt  & pepper

cilantro yogurt:
heaping 1/2 cup plain yogurt (icelandic, greek, vegan… whatever you like)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons agave or honey
1 teaspoon minced onion (or onion powder)
1/2 medium or large clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt, to taste

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Depending on the size of your carrots, slice them lengthwise in half or quarters. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and toss them with the minced garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.

Meanwhile make the yogurt. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except a bit of the cilantro and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add reserved cilantro on top for garnish. Refrigerate until ready to use.

1. sara from sproutedkitchen.com on said:

sounds incredible. I hate the mushy kinds too, which is what I grew up with. Love the crunch. The sauce looks delicious.

2. kankana from sunshineandsmile.com on said:

Oh wow .. you will be the first person I know who doesn’t like carrots :) Roasted carrot always taste better and that yogurt dipping is a perfect pairing!

3. So, so beautiful. I know Little Buddy will love these. And that cilantro yogurt? Perfection!

4. I was never a fan of carrots either, but I love them roasted! It seems to be the trick for many other vegetables I don’t like, such as cauliflower and broccoli. Something about roasting them makes them absolutely delicious. Next time I’ll be sure to try the cilantro yogurt.

5. These carrots are gorgeous! I’m always amazed at the striking beauty in nature. It’s funny how we process our food so much it looks nothing like it did in nature, which is a shame because natural foods are beautiful, colorful.

Cilantro yogurt is a wonderful compliment to this–I’m vegan so I’ll be using a non-dairy yogurt. Lovely, & I really like your blog & have been following for awhile, but not sure I’ve stopped to comment & thank you!

6. Kelly from snailsview.com on said:

What beautiful carrots! It would have been a shame to disguise them :)
    Roasting is a great way to get everyone eating to eat their vegetables, it does something magical to them. I felt the same way about beets, they scared me to death when I was little, that is of course because I was only offered the canned ones – then I had them roasted and now are one of my favorite things!

Roasting carrots is just about my favourite thing to do with them ever. I love that touch of caramelised sweetness they get. They must pair so well with the yogurt dip.

8. Kate on said:

Looks & sounds fantastic. Love your blog and get hungry every time I look at the beautiful photography too!

9. I actually love cooked carrots, and I have just one child who adores them, too! These are so gorgeous! I love the idea of the cilantro yogurt dip, too. I really want to try this recipe, I think it would make a great side dish!

10. I adore roasted carrots. Love the cilantro yogurt idea, too. Perfect for the summer!

11. Cate from girlcooksworld.com on said:

I’m so with you… I tend to generally dislike carrots but I think it’s mostly a cooking issue. I am, however, a huge fan of carrot, ginger and lime juice- it’s the best!

I also love carrot tops in green smoothies. Some people say they’re toxic (I’m guessing only when consumed in super large quantities), but to me they taste like freshness in a glass!

12. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

I think so many people dislike particular vegetables because they’ve never had them cooked really well. I wouldn’t want to eat mushy, tasteless carrots either! On the other hand, roasting is obviously a perfect choice. :) I love the beautiful colors too!

13. We don’t like roasted carrots either but this post may change our minds. Looks lovely! :)

14. erin from naturallyella.com on said:

I’ve always adored roasted carrots and the cilantro yogurt sounds amazing!

15. Justina from onedomesticgoddess.wordpress.com on said:

These look really good! They look a bit like sweet potato fries which are always really tasty. I have a really hard time with carrots also. I’m not sure if it’s the taste or texture that I don’t like, but I will usually avoid them. The colors are so beautiful, not wonder you couldn’t pass them up.

I take it they were tasty?

yes, they were very tasty :)

16. autumn from autumnmakesanddoes.com on said:

I’m also someone who is a little picky when it comes to carrots. These are gorgeous and I have both carrots and cilantro coming in my CSA this week, so I’m happy to have found this recipe. Thank you!

17. Wow another great recipe with incredibly beautiful photos!

18. Heather from sundaymorningbananapancakes.blogspot.com on said:

Isn’t amazing how roasting almost any vegetable instantly makes it incredible! I love how the sweetness totally shines in roasted veggies – beautiful pics too!

19. Alissa from bigeatstinykichen.com on said:

Roasted carrots = new obsession!

20. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

I love roasted carrots normally, but this cilantro yogurt sauce would definitely make them that much better. Love all of the flavours! So creative :)

21. Kelsey from happyolks.com on said:

catching up from being off the grid for so long, i want to eat everything you’ve posted this month! This is my very favorite way to eat carrots. love that sauce.

22. Pingback: The Top 5: Veg Out | Sous Style

23. Pingback: Carrot, orange, and ginger soup | The Littlest Bakehouse

24. Pingback: lemon chicken with roasted carrots, spinach, & rocilantro yogurt sauce

25. Pingback: Carrot, orange & ginger soup

26. Pingback: cherry tomato basil salad | Love and Lemons

27. Holly Thomas on said:

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you are talking about… Bookmarked.. Kindly also visit my website =). We could have a link exchange arrangement between us! Pickering Roofing Pros, 1284 Kingston Rd., #131, Pickering, Ontario, L1V 1B7, Canada, 289-275-1555