chickpea nicoise salad

We were on vacation in Nice around this time last year, and I think I ate a nicoise salad for lunch every day of that trip. Or as Jack has coined it… the “Nizzan” salad, because the Italians call Nice “Nizza” (pronounced like pizza).

We learned this as were running through the Rome airport (we are always running)… the airport desk workers were yelling out “Nizza! Nizza! last call for Nizza!” So that’s what we call it now. The city and the salad.

This is one of my favorite main course salads because it’s so filling yet light and healthy. Feel free to add tuna here, or leave it out as I did in this vegetarian version.

I prefer crispy potatoes to traditional boiled potatoes, so I roasted mine in the oven with garlic and olive oil. You’ll also notice the absence of olives here… Jack and I both hate olives, but by all means include them if you like them.

I have a big bunch of dill growing in my garden so I mixed that into my dijon dressing. And, well, what goes better with mustard in a summery dish than dill?

serves 2 as a main, 4 as a side

roasted potatoes:
2 medium sized red potatoes, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
pinches of salt & pepper

1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 a medium lemon)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped dill
salt & pepper to taste

3 cups mixed baby salad greens
1 cup green beans, blanched and chopped
1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
6 gherkin pickles
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Arrange chopped potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss with garlic, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy on the edges.

Whisk salad dressing ingredients together and set aside.

Assemble the rest of the salad components and serve dressing on the side. Or toss salad greens together with the dressing, green beans, chickpeas, and potatoes, tomatoes and then top salad with eggs, gherkins and capers.

If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.

1. Mmmm I love a good nicoise salad. Although I haven’t had one since going veg two years ago. I’ll have to give this a try :D

2. Sophie from on said:

Yum! That’s all I have to say!

And I can’t get enough of this blog!

• jeanine from on said:

aw, thank you!

3. Sounds amazing! Nicoise salads are my absolute favorite, but I never considered adding chickpeas–what a great addition!

4. Sanjeeta kk from on said:

Such a refreshing plateful of salad..could eat it for my all the three the chickpeas added in it.

5. Eileen from on said:

Nicoise salad is one of my favorites–especially for summer! Using chickpeas for protein in place of the tuna is a perfect plan. :)

6. I often throw around the word ‘love’ when it comes to various dishes – kind of like the boy who cried wolf, it probably detracts from my credibility. But, I L-O-V-E salad nicoise. Everything about it. The briny olives {I know you don’t like them}, the comforting potatoes, the still-crunchy green beans. The list goes on. But, just when I thought a dish was perfect, you gave it a twist and really elevated it. I love the cornichons and capers as olive subs, and – chickpeas! Yes. Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Jeanine, you have such creative recipe ideas! I love Nicoise salad and I love the idea of putting chickpeas in it. What a refreshing dinner idea for summer. I’ll be making this soon!

8. I adore chickpeas, and salads are once again becoming my go to as summer begins. You’ve made something so simple look absolutely stunning! I LOVE the photo of the dressing! It looks so fresh and delicious. YUM.

9. WhileHeWasOut from on said:

Looks delicious, lovely photos!

10. Mo on said:

Lately when ever I feel like cooking something a little extra special or yummy, I type in a key ingredient in your search box and wahlah! Found this recipe through “green beans” and made it for dinner the other night. Oh my gosh it was amazing and so simple. I had just about everything and picked up what I didn’t have while out and about. I added olives (olive lover here) and omitted dill from the dressing (didn’t have). It was so filling and satisfying! I am so happy I stumbled across your blog last month, it is now my favorite! xoxo

• jeanine from on said:

thank you! This is the best comment ever, I’m so glad you’ve been inspired by the recipes :)

11. Pingback: red & white summer wines | Love and Lemons

12. Pingback: 76 must-try salad recipes

13. Diane on said:

I love your site. I love your recipes. My only complaint is that when I hit your print button, I get a font print on the recipe that is so small I can hardly read it. Maybe a font size of 8 or less. Is there anything you can do to help me increase the font size of your recipes. This only happens with your site. Thanks

• jeanine from on said:

Hi Diane, we can make it bigger, thank you for the feedback!