bbq portobello sliders

bbq portabello sliders // loveandlemons.com

Summer makes me happy… long sunny days, warm nights, flip flops, juicy watermelons, waffle cones… and food with ketchup. Or in this case, bbq sauce.

A few weeks ago, I was drooling over this post. So last weekend, for my dad and Jack, I decided to made a mushroom version. The only change I really made to the sauce was adding dijon mustard… I love ketchup… Jack hates it… so the mustard added a nice kick and kept the overall tomato-ey-factor in balance.

bbq portobello sliders

Yield: makes about 6 sliders

bbq portobello sliders

• 4 portobello mushroom caps
  • buns of your choice
  • fixings of your choice: (sprouts, onion, tomato avocado, blue cheese, etc)
  • for the sauce:
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/4 onion, grated
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon worcestershire (I use the vegan brand)
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sriracha or hot sauce
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. Make the sauce. In a small saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and garlic. Stir until translucent. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. If the mixure is not already bubbling, increase heat. As soon as it bubbles, reduce to a simmer. Let it reduce and thicken (5-10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking - sweetness, spice level, salt, etc.
  2. Depending on the size of your portobello's, either trim to fit the size of your slider bun, or cut into strips. (To make slider-sized burgers and not waste mushroom scraps, I made some of both - cut squares like the one pictured, and made others with mushroom strips).
  3. Liberally brush both sides of the mushrooms with the sauce and let them marinade for at least 15 minutes, up to 30.
  4. Heat broiler or grill, cook mushrooms, flipping halfway through. (the time will completely depend on the heat of your broiler or grill). Grill should be a few minutes per side, I broiled mine in the oven for about 3-5 minutes per side. I have a really hot broiler.
  5. When mushrooms are done cooking, brush with more sauce and serve with whatever fixings you like.

sauce slightly adapted from The First Mess

1. This look so fabulous. I love using mushrooms as a “burger” instead of veggie patties sometimes. Yum!

2. Josette on said:

The sauce sounds amazing, how else have you used it ?

I just made it for the first time, but I would put it on tempeh, tofu, veggie burgers…

3. kale from tastes-good-to-me.com on said:

Barbeques. Totally my favorite part of summer! So this recipe is perfect.

4. My favorite thing about summer is the Outdoors. Eating outdoors. Reading outdoors. Drinking my morning tea and journaling outdoors. There is just something magical about summer mornings and nights–

5. TravelJunkie from flamencocdo.com on said:

bbqs are the best during summer! we would definitely use your recipe on our next beach trip! :)

6. Mika from messinthekitchen.blogsite.org on said:

Nice recipe! I’ve seen this variation many times now, but I always somehow forget to try it… ^_^
    What I like about summer? The strong light and to be able to see the blue of the sky… ^_^

7. Kelly from snailsview.com on said:

Summer for me = long days with family and friends, and beautiful tomatoes! It’s funny you posted this, I was just thinking of doing a version over the weekend. Looks great, love the micro’s.

8. Lovely slides, I would eat one! Mushrooms are my “meat”, but I rarely use it on burgers, well, I rarely make/or eat burgers, not my thing.

9. So wish we could get portobello mushrooms in Marrakesh. These look so so good!

10. David Davis from dwilsonart.com on said:

WHO doesn’t like Ketchup?!? Ahem, please stand over there with the people that don’t like peanut butter….weirdos. Ha Ha! I’m kidding! (sort of). These look amazing. We’ll have them tonight. Extra ketchup on mine please!!! ((:

11. Julie from juliepeach.com on said:

Okay – we’ve been eating portobello mushroom burgers (or just stacked w/ grilled eggplant) all week and not once did it occur to me to make it BBQ style. Yowza, I am so excited about this!

12. Megan from delightfulldash.com on said:

These look absolutely delicious! I’ve had portobello many times, but never with BBQ sauce. I don’t know why I never thought it. These are going on my list to make this summer!

13. Pingback: red, white, blue (& some green) | Love and Lemons

14. Pingback: Hot off the Grill: 10 Healthy BBQ Recipes | The Health Sessions

15. Pingback: 23 Reasons That Vegans Are The MVPs Of Barbecues | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

16. Pingback: あなたの絶対菜食主義のバーベキューをゆする23の方法 | 美味い飯特集!世界の美味い飯!

17. Pingback: 5 Vegan Sliders Recipes | The Vegan Diet

18. Pingback: 26 Veggie Burgers That Will Make Meat Question Its Very Existence | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

19. Pingback: Gluten Free BBQ Time | Genius Gluten Free Blog

20. Pingback: 26 Veggie Burgers That Will Make Meat Question Its Very Existence | RealFoodies

21. Pingback: bbq portobello sliders | Love and Lemons | Vegan Coyote