peanut soba noodles

I admit, this is minimal, even for us… I mean, is there even a bowl here? Modern art was not exactly what we were going for… we were just hungry. Sometimes we spend a lot of time on our photos, other times, it’s “got it? look good? is it clear? yes. great, lets eat…”

In front of my computer the next morning is when I sit alone with my head and go “if only we woulda… next time we should really…” and then I take a break and enviously pin other people’s photos. But really, I’d rather spend time figuring out new recipes than tediously trying to figure out… “with the fork? without the fork? with the napkin? that napkin is really wrinkled… ditch the napkin.” I’m sure our photos, over time, will evolve… but in the meantime, we’ve gotta eat…

Styling (or lackthereof) aside, this a super delicious bowl of peanut-y green food. And feel free to throw in whatever vegetables you like or happen to have on hand. The sauce is completely versatile. I was just in a green mood that day.

serves 4
loosely adapted from the Tastespotting the blog

INGREDIENTS:
8 oz. soba noodles (or rice noodles if gluten free)
1 pound kale (5 or 6 large leaves), chopped
1 cup edamame (cooked and shelled)
3-4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
juice of one lime
1/4 cup crushed peanuts

sauce:
2 tablespoons peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1.5 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon honey (or agave or brown rice syrup)
zest of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon sriracha (or to taste)
1/4 to 1/2 cup water, (to thin sauce)
1 tablespoon sesame oil

METHOD:

Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook noodles.

Whisk together sauce ingredients. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chopped kale, cook for about 30 seconds (tossing it as you go – bringing wilted leaves from the bottom to the top). Add edamame and scallions. Cook, stirring, for about 30 more seconds. (you could also just blanch the vegetables…boiling water + ice water)

Pour in the dressing and noodles and toss together. (If your skillet isn’t large enough for this transfer to a large bowl).

Taste and adjust seasonings.

Stir in basil and cilantro. Squeeze lime on top and garnish with chopped peanuts.

I love the simplicity of this photo, it really makes the food stand out and look even more mouth-watering.

2. Maria from twopeasandtheirpod.com on said:

I SO wish I was eating this for lunch right now!

3. nico from nicostinykitchen.wordpress.com on said:

I feel the same way about my photos! But yours really are beautiful, if minimalist.

4. I LOVE soba noodle recipes like this! They’re so perfect for warm weather. Honestly, I think anything against your marble tabletops with that nice diffused lighting looks great. My worst photos are taken when I’m just not feeling it and ready to eat!

5. i agree.. anything on that marble top and those deep colors looks so pretty!
    i love simple meals too!

Please do drop by the Auction fundraiser to help VSPCA,India on my blog, to bid or share. Shipping is available in US, India, and some international. They are an amazing vegan non profit working to rescue cows, calfs, dogs, all animals and also feed vegan meals to the homeless.

6. susan from theurbanbaker.com on said:

this is such a gorgeously executed dish. i am loving all the ingredients!

7. I’m OK with simple photos. I find them more beautiful and inspiring than overly styled ones. Plus it lets the tasty food be the main focus.

8. Kate from kateinthekitchen.com on said:

I’ve been on a bit of an edamame fixation lately, thinking it has something to do with the contemplative work of popping them from their shells as I turn my eyes out the window to the bright sunlight.

Then I see noodles, and greens and….. oh my.

I could eat of this type of food every day, in some form or another, with whatever is on hand. I’ve got the soba, and always, the peanut butter. A few limes are good too. Beet greens would fill in around the edges, and of course, my favorite fork. This might be my dinner tomorrow.

9. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

I think the photo is really nice. I love the vibrancy of the green. Looks so fresh and healthy. The peanut sauce on this bowl sounds perfect! Great flavours :) I plan on making this for lunch one day (or two) this week! Thanks for another great post!

10. Ruthie on said:

I made this yesterday for lunch– absolutely delicious, thank you for the recipe! I sauteed the kale, but kept the green onions raw and threw the edamame into the mix still frozen– the whole salad was nice and cold when I served it, raves all around!!

11. Bev Weidner from bevcooks.com on said:

ABSOLUTELY love this. It hurts so good.

12. BakeryManis from bakerymanis.com on said:

such a gorgeous, simple recipe :)

13. Marge from margesnextmeal.com on said:

Mmm, that gorgeous, simple photo makes me want to eat it right up!

14. cj on said:

Simply delicious! Loved by both me (vegan) and my omni man. The sauce/dressing is perfect and would work in any number of dishes. Thank you!

glad you liked it!

15. Suzuki from suzukikphotography.com on said:

HI, I just cooked your soba noodle & edamame and tastes so yummy!
    Thanks for a great recipe.

16. Pingback: Peanut Soba Noodles with Kale | Pas de Deux Blog

17. Pingback: Soba, so good | Tortfeeder

18. Liz on said:

I made this last night and was wowed!!! I did not have the veggies suggested so I blanched haricot vert and peas, and added it to sauteed onion, bell pepper, and baby portabellas. I added a lot more siricha because I like it spicy and after I mixed the sauce I could not stop tasting it. Even my non Vegan hubbie ate it today as leftovers and said it was awesome! Thank you a for a new found fav.

19. Rachel B on said:

I just made this (with bok choy instead of spinach) and it was perfect. next time I will double the sauce and keep it around. Thanks!

so glad you liked it… I’m sure it’s better with bok choy! Love that crunch.

20. The Junk Drunk from thejunkdrunk.wordpress.com on said:

This was so delicious! I think next time I will make 1.5 times the amount of sauce for the rice noodles though. I didn’t think about it at first, but 6 ounces of rice noodles is a lot more by volume than 8 ounces of soba. i made it with broccoli, edamame and shredded carrots too! Thanks!

21. Pingback: easy peanut noodles {2 ways} | Love and Lemons

22. Pingback: Real Inspiration for this Week's Whole Food Meal Plan: March 27, 2014 - Real Food Whole Life

23. Pingback: Weekend Reading. | The Fig's Heart — for the curious & the creative — Lauren Burkitt, Vancouver