lemon & chive ricotta bruschetta

Spring cleaning is happening today at my house, so I’m gonna keep this one short and get back to it. My dad is in town visiting, which I love because he’s the cheapest labor around. As long as I keep the fridge stocked with beer, he’s a happy guy.

So I guess you could say this was a fancy beer snack we had yesterday evening. Not a pairing I would recommend, but my dad is not really the “pairing” kind.

This ricotta mixture is light and mellow – it’s not a punch of garlic-herby flavor – it’s bright and slightly sweet. Of course, you could could adjust it to be as bold as you like.

It’s bruschetta day on The Food Matters Project today – click here to read what it’s about and to check out what some of the others have made…

INGREDIENTS:
6-8 slices whole grain bread
drizzle of olive oil
1 clove garlic (use half to rub bread with, mince other half for ricotta mixture)
1/2 cup fresh, high quality ricotta cheese
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2-1 teaspoon lemon zest
1-2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons chopped chives
salt & pepper
1 tomato, sliced
basil (to go on top)
sprouts (to go on top)

METHOD:
Drizzle bread slices with olive oil and salt. Toast under the broiler, or grill.

Slice garlic clove in half. Once the bread is done and nicely toasted, rub it with the open side of the garlic. Set aside.

Slice tomato, sprinkle it with some salt and set aside.

Mix together ricotta, lemon juice, lemon zest, minced garlic, honey, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust.

Assemble and top with chopped basil and sprouts.

1. I love your take on this week’s recipe, and your photos are gorgeous. I haven’t done anything with ricotta in a while, but I might have to change that soon!

2. I laughed at your beer and fancy appetizer pairing. I could definitely see a Prosecco with those beauties!

3. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

This looks like my perfect afternoon snack! :) Yum! I love the addition of honey. Such a beautiful bruschetta.

4. Margarita from letscookandbefriends.blogspot.com on said:

There is so much beauty and class going on in this bruschetta… I love it! Wish I came up with something awesome like this!

5. Lexi from lexiskitchen.blogspot.com on said:

Very nice!

6. Oh ricotta, how I love thee! I’m imagining these with some homemade ricotta right now, and boy is my tummy grumbling.

7. I think that ricotta spead sounds wonderful. Thanks for the great idea!

8. This combination sounds so simple, but so good. Every time we buy ricotta, we seem to have just a little bit left over & this might be the perfect dish to use it all up!

9. Haha. Can I borrow your dad to help with mine? Have beer. And will make apps. ;)

Ha! just maybe…

10. Evi from fifthfloorkitchen.wordpress.com on said:

This looks delicious! I think bread and beer go well together, so I’m sure your Dad love this!

11. So pretty! Ricotta is not my favorite cheese, but then again, I don’t think I’ve ever tried fresh ricotta. I think that might change my mind!

12. I love the simplicity of this bruschetta!

thanks Aida!

13. Pingback: Meyer Lemon Fettucine and 10 Favorite Lemon Recipes | foodiecrush

14. kay on said:

Ricotta sounds good but I’m a huge fan of goat cheese so will try them both!