strawberry basil french toast

I realize the contradiction. Yesterday I was talking about not eating bread, and today I’m sharing french toast. That was just poor planning…

Last week, after a chat with myself about basil and desserts, the idea for a strawberry maple basil-ey breakfast stuck in my head.

I rarely make french toast these days… In a previous, less healthy, life (college) I ate it just about every day. Sometimes for breakfast and for dinner. I don’t recommend that, but I do recommend a sweet indulgent morning every now and then

Here are some other sweet strawberry breakfast ideas that caught my eye this week:

Strawberry Basil Scones from Happy Yolks

Cardamom and Nutmeg Waffles with Minted Strawberries from Turntable Kitchen

Strawberry Rhubarb Apple Oatcake from A House in the Hills

INGREDIENTS:
4 slices day old bread
2 eggs
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
coconut oil, for the pan
strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1 basil leaf, chopped
maple syrup

METHOD:
In a small bowl, mix (and gently mash) strawberries together with a little drizzle of maple syrup. Add chopped basil. Set aside.

Whisk eggs and almond milk together. Dip bread slices in the egg mixture and let it soak in for a few minutes.

Heat coconut oil in a large skillet, and cook toast on each side until golden brown.

Top with strawberries and serve with more maple syrup on the side.

1. Lauren E. on said:

Definitely making a vegan version this weekend! I’ve been wanting to do something with the abundance of strawberries lately!

2. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

I say, ‘everything in moderation!’ This sounds amazing. And thank you for the link to my waffles! Have a wonderful weekend!

3. I’m a sucker for strawberry anything, and who doesn’t love french toast? YUM!

4. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

Lovely!!! :) Sometimes you need to treat yourself to something a little sweet & indulgent. This french toast looks like the perfect reason to be a tad sinful :)
    Fantastic post as always :) Happy weekend!

5. Jeanine! I want your kitchen!!! I also want this strawberry basil French toast.

it’s a good kitchen, I have to admit… :)

• From what I can see, “good kitchen” is an understatement. :)

6. Rachel from blog.muffinegg.com on said:

Putting green herbs in sweet things is something I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t experimented with yet. It looks like I’m going to have to make some more French toast this week…in the interest of science.

7. I love how you introduce interesting flavor combinations in unusual ways. I’m particularly intrigued by the strawberry basil scones!

yea me too, I really want to make those soon…

8. thelittleloaf from thelittleloaf.wordpress.com on said:

This is the *perfect* follow up to your sushi – everyone needs a little indulgence every once in a while and this sounds and looks wonderful.

9. Nicole Franzen from nicolefranzen.blogspot.com on said:

I love french toast, a favorite in our house :)

10. kale from tastes-good-to-me.com on said:

I love strawberries and basil. In fact they are the stars of my next post. But I’ve never had them on french toast, so this looks new and delightfully inviting!

11. It’s a good combo in ice cream, so why not French toast? Lovely idea.

12. Maria from twopeasandtheirpod.com on said:

Fabulous! I can’t wait until the weekend so I can make this!