veggie sushi w/ sunflower miso paste

We eat a lot of sushi… probably similar to the rate normal americans consume pizza. I don’t want to make this blog about weight loss, but sushi is my skinny secret. I don’t crave breads like I used to, I crave nori.

Sushi at home might seem intimidating, but once you get the hang of it, it’s really not hard. I’m no Jiro or anything… it takes a bit of a steady hand and some focus… (which gets harder with the more sake you consume)… but honestly if it comes out a little sloppy looking it’ll still taste good. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Inspired by nori rolls I’ve had at various raw food restaurants, I set out to create a flavorful sunflower paste in lieu of rice. Among other things, I topped it with raw shaved beets for some vibrant color. If you’ve been following, you’ll know that my husband Jack hates beets. I lied and told him that this was pickled red cabbage. He didn’t fall for it, but he also didn’t hate them in here. (another score for me).

(note: if you’re rolling sushi for the first time, make extra so you have some to mess up)

INGREDIENTS:

makes 4 (small) rolls

sunflower-miso paste: (can be made ahead)
1 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked for at least 6 hours
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon white miso paste
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon brown rice syrup (or honey or agave)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (toasted oil might technically not be a raw food, sub for non-toasted if you are a raw-only person, otherwise I recommend the toasted version for a nicer flavor)

rolls:
2 nori sheets, cut in half (widthwise)
2 large collard leaves, cut in half lengthwise, stem removed (*see note below)
8 long cucumber slices, about the size of a chopstick if you can cut it that small
1/2 beet grated, grated
1/2 avocado, sliced lengthwise
micro sprouts, a few pinches for each roll

for garnish or on the side:
sesame seeds, a few pinches for garnish
soy sauce or tamari, for dipping
pickled ginger, on the side

METHOD:

sunflower-miso paste:

Make the sunflower-miso paste by placing all ingredients in a small food processer. Grind the ingredients together until you get a paste consistency.

rolling sushi:
Place nori, shiny side down on a bamboo mat, close to the front edge of it (near you).

Place collard leaf on top of the nori, be sure that the collard doesn’t extend beyond the nori in the back. (if it sticks out the sides it’s ok). The nori will need to stick to itself after you roll up the roll, otherwise it’ll fall apart.

spread a little less than 1/4 of the paste in the front 1/3 of the nori/collard piece (my photo above doesn’t show it well, but there is empty space behind the pile of filling).

Place the other ingredients (don’t fill it too much) on top of the paste. Take a bit of water and using your finger, dab a strip of water on the back edge of the nori (it’ll help it stick together when it’s rolled). Roll it up, using the bamboo mat to help. Place the roll cut side down.

With a very sharp knife, cut the roll into pieces. Wipe off knife with a damp cloth in between each cut.

*note, If you’re a beginner, start without the collard leaf. The moisture of the paste touching the nori (like rice in traditional sushi), will hold it together more easily. Getting the edge of the nori to stick with the collard leaf in there is a little tricky.

1. Holy, these are absolutely beautiful! Awesome idea!

thank you Katrina!

2. This is really inventive, and your sushi looks so pretty with the red beets. Kudos!

3. Erin on said:

Jeanine, these are gorgeous!! I need to get back in to the habit of making sushi!

4. Laura from thefirstmess.com on said:

I ALWAYS go for the sushi rolls at raw restaurants. So refreshing, filling, and bursting with flavour. Love ‘em. And what is with your hubby’s aversion to veggies?!?! You’re clearly an amazing cook, I don’t get it! I would be craving salad nonstop at your house!

aw, he’s getting a bad rap now… He actually loves tons of veggies, tofu and the whole nine yards (way more than most other men I know). Maybe I’ve been picking on him a little too much in recent posts about the few things he doesn’t like :)

5. Nicole on said:

I love making sushi-esque collard wraps (I’ll have to try with nori!! Much more authentic!) and when I do, I process cauliflower until it becomes fine, its just like sticky rice!

nice idea, I’ll have to try that sometime!

6. RH on said:

Or you can do what I do and throw everything together in a bowl. Not as pretty, but just as good.

yes, I do that quite often (not with these exact ingredients) but I love a good sushi bowl :)

7. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

These look beautiful! Homemade sushi is in fact kind of intimidating for me–even without the raw fish. I definitely need to take a deep breath and just try it, especially if I could be eating rolls like this!

yes, it’s not that hard! I should have written this in the notes, but if it’s your first try, make extra so you can mess some up but still have food to eat in the end :)

8. I just stumbled upon your site, and boy am I glad I did! I love it– the simple, clean, DELICIOUS-looking food just jumps off the computer monitor.

I am absolutely going to give this sushi a whirl– and although I am an avowed beet-hater myself, I might even consider keeping them in the roll, just because they’re so darn purdy. :)

9. thelittleloaf from thelittleloaf.wordpress.com on said:

This looks absolutely beautiful. I love sushi made with fish but this is so light and refreshing and gorgeous, you wouldn’t even miss it!

10. Julia from nadelundgabel.wordpress.com on said:

This looks absolutely delicious…and healthy as well!

11. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

How do you come up with these things?? This sounds amazing, and I’m so glad I have all of the ingredients (and tools) on hand.

12. YAYAYYA! Absolute Happiness over here! Yup, all my favorite ingredients whipped up into a healthy, delicious lunch! Perfect for my beach picnics I think. Sharing this immediately. <3

13. Sonja from acouplecooks.com on said:

These look beautiful! Sushi was one of the first things we learned to make from friends (but we haven’t been adventurous enough to try it on our own.) Makes me want to have a sushi party with ya’ll :)

you should come have a sushi party with us! anytime :)

14. I’ve been putting off sushi making for quite some time – and the sushi restaurant a few blocks from me has been capitalizing on my laziness. Big time. So, I think it’s time to make my own. Your raw sushi looks – and sounds – delicious. Now, let’s just hope mine turns out as beautiful.

15. Emily on said:

I made these for dinner–they came out amazing!! Thanks for the recipe!! :)

16. Pingback: Guest Interview: Love & Lemons