mango & black bean quesadillas

I’ve been living here for nine years now and I find myself continually surprised and in awe of what grows here. Actually, let me start over….

For the first 5 years, all our food grew from restaurants. The next 3 years, it grew from Whole Foods. Now, (much) of our food grows from Rainlily Farm, Springdale Farm, Boggy Creek Farm… and most recently… wait for it… our front yard.

In a million years, I never thought I’d get excited about gardening. And growing up where I did (a suburb of Chicago), I’m fascinated by the possibilities of what I can plant that can grow here…avocados, a lemon tree… and mangos?! Might as well be lollipops on a tree, to me, this is the land of Oz…

makes 2

INGREDIENTS:
4 tortillas, any kind you like
2 cups of swiss chard, chopped
1/2 garlic clove, minced
1 mango, cubed
1/2 can of black beans, drained
1 jalapeno, diced
2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
daiya cheese (or whatever cheese you want)
1 lime
salt, pepper

garnish options:
handful of cilantro
store bought tomatillo salsa
avocado slices

METHOD:
Sautee chard in a little bit of oil and garlic, salt & pepper, and a few squeezes of lime. 2-3 minutes, until wilted. Set aside.

Toss mango cubes with a few sqeezes of lime and a bit of salt.

Assemble quesadilla, grill on both sides until well browned and cheese is melted. Top with cilantro, salsa and whatever other toppings you like.

1. I love me a good mango and honestly when isn’t a great time for a quesadilla?

2. What a great combination. Isn’t it great to grow your own food, even though here in England I have no chance of growing mangoes or lemons unless I build a green house, but tomatoes and peas make me happy too.

3. Megan from takeamegabite.com on said:

This looks awesome! How cool to be able to grow mangos and avocados! It’s my dream world you live in.

AND I love the photos – the before and after ones best. :)

4. Kudos to you for your growing garden. Consider me with legit city living envy. ;)

5. You can grow mangos and avocados in Austin?! That almost makes me want to live there. The heat, though, oh the heat. Even though I can’t grow mangos, these quesadillas are right up my alley.

6. aaahhh looks so delicious…I love the addition of the lime…a must try in my house!!

7. Koko from kokoskitchen.com on said:

Gorgeous! I have made quesadillas before using papaya, jalapeno, and brie cheese. But I love the mango/black bean combination and I have some Daiya in the fridge!

I, too, am new (er) to gardening, but the bounty we have been getting in the summer is just amazing, and so exciting!!

8. Robin from 17bites.wordpress.com on said:

Gorgeous photography! And the mango- a definite for next time. Thanks for the tip.

9. These look so tasty–and I agree with the first commenter: when Isn’ it a good time for quesadillas? And I, too, am suffering from climate envy. We don’t grow a lot of avocados and limes in Colorado…

10. Alissa from bigeatstinykichen.com on said:

I love mango salsa. This is such a tasty idea to combine them with black beans in a quesadilla. I’m totally jealous that you can have ANY citrus tree growing much less mangoes! I’d be making fresh mohitos for breakfast.

well, to clarify, I don’t have those growing in my yard *yet*… I have greens and other things, and I get mangoes from a nearby grove. But soon, we’ll see how it works :)

11. lysa from cookingwithlysa.blogspot.com on said:

I love quesadilla ! With mango salsa..you just brought them to another level.
    I love your photos and I am also very jealous of your citrous trees…!

12. Shannalee from foodloveswriting.com on said:

Girl, I so get it. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, too, and I remember (just a few years ago, still living there) looking for something I’d seen on food blogs: a Meyer lemon. Nowhere. And now they’re all over our WF in Nashville. It’s a different world. So impressed and jealous of your home garden and so loving your food perspective.

13. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

I used to love quesadillas as a kid, but started to find they always seem to have too much cheese. Started to make me feel icky. These sound perfect, as there is a nice mix of healthy proteins, fibre and yummy mango with just a bit of cheese. Sounds like my perfect quesadilla. Beautiful photos as always!

14. Emily Stevenson on said:

YUM!! I made this (to the best of my ability) this past weekend! I added some cumin seasoning and a mexi blend cheese for a cinco de mayo treat that my family LOVED. I am also a blogger trying to create and share simple family-friendly recipes that pack a protein punch. My husband and I are both very active and need to sneak in energy boosters in our meat-free diet. Check it out if you are interested: http://thelivelyvegetarian.blogspot.com/.

Thank you for the AWESOME ideas and continued support to the vegetarian community.

Yours in good health,
    Emily

15. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

I wish I lived somewhere where I could garden. I dream of growing kale and chard, cilantro and strawberries. Way to show off your beautiful bounty!

16. Cate on said:

Made these for dinner tonight — fabulous! Thank you!