Sweet potato veggie burgers

I could’t wait to make these after seeing this recipe. I made a few alterations based on the ingredients I had (or rather, didn’t have) in my kitchen. I ended up making them with tofu instead of beans which worked out great. I flavored them with rosemary and paprika which was a nice earthy balance to the maple syrup. Sometimes veggie burgers can be too starchy and brick-heavy, but this one was moist in the center and crispy on the edges.

Because there are just 2 of us, I made half of the recipe that I listed below. Later that week, I made this hummus with the leftover 1/2 sweet potato mash… which by no coincidence resembles the flavors in this burger because they happened to be the ingredients I had around. Hey, cook once eat twice, right?

makes 8-12 mini-sliders, or 4-6 regular sized patties.
adapted from Healthy. Happy. Life.

INGREDIENTS:

1 sweet potato
1/3 block of extra firm tofu (from a 14 oz package)
1 tablespoon tahini
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon minced rosemary
1 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
a few pinches of salt
a few grinds of pepper
about 1/2 cup panko (to roll the patties in before baking)
slider or regular hamburger buns
whatever fixings you like on your burger: I had avocado, red onion & sprouts

METHOD:

do ahead: bake, peel and mash sweet potato

Preheat oven to 425.

Place mashed sweet potato in a bowl and crumble in firm tofu with your hands. Mash all together with a fork until the tofu falls apart even more.

Mix in tahini, maple syrup, garlic, rosemary, paprika, salt & pepper.

Form into patties. They will be messy, that’s ok.

Put panko on a plate and coat the outside of each patty with the panko crumbs. Place patties on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are brown and crisp. I turned the broiler on for the last 30-60 seconds to help the browning along.

You could also pan fry these in a skillet, I baked them so they’d have less of a chance of falling apart.

Serve on buns with whatever fixings you like.

Or serve without a bun over a mixed green salad.

1. cassie from bakeyourday.net on said:

These are already on my menu for next week. Gorgeous!

2. Maria from twopeasandtheirpod.com on said:

My kind of burger! Love!

3. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

I’ve been craving a veggie burger all week. This definitely looks like it could satisfy said craving. Love sweet potatoes. The addition of panko is sure to make the exterior nice and crispy. I find a lot of veggie burgers heavy – as you mentioned. This one looks really nice and light. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are having a really nice week. :)

yep, I heart panko :)

4. Kathy Patalsky on said:

Aw, lovely! super yummy looking. Happy to see this! ~k

5. maggie from zigzagmags.wordpress.com on said:

yum! that looks amazing and i think i have most of that in my kitchen. :)

6. Krista F on said:

This is sounds SOOOO good! I will need to try this very soon!

7. Jacqueline from digintobooks.wordpress.com on said:

I made the Happy Healthy Life version a couple weeks ago but I love the little variations on the burger! And pretty picture, too!!

8. Courtney on said:

Brilliant!

These sound fantastic warm. I wonder if they would also be good cold/room temp. If so, they would make fantastic picnic food.

9. Woah there. I am obsessed with savory sweet potatoes in every form so naturally I feel compelled to make these ASAP! Mega yum.

10. Kankana from sunshineandsmile.com on said:

I can’t to try this and love the fact that the recipe is just for two :)

11. Pingback: Sweet Potato Veggie Burger | Rungmasti --- Have masti With Colors

12. Peggy from crazythriftycrafts.blogspot.com on said:

Fabulous! I just made my own variation. Didn’t have tofu so I cracked open a can of northern beans and used a couple spoonfuls of those instead. Worked great! Since I had also made some mixed split pea soup, I just served the patties over greens from the garden with a dollop of mayo. Thanks for sharing this!

Hi Peggy,

I’m glad these worked out for you! Thanks for sharing.

13. Pingback: sweet potato veggie burger & soundtrackliebe. « nikesherztanzt

14. Maria on said:

I made this recipe for a dinner party today and it was a big hit. Absolutely delicious! Thanks so much for posting this. I paired it with rosemary/sage potato wedges and a salad with a cranberry-orange vinagrette.

so glad they were a hit! Thanks for sharing…

15. Hollie on said:

I made these last night and even Todd actually liked them! Served them on mini challah rolls with goat chefs, caramelized onions, avocado, and arugula. So good!! Today I had a salad for lunch with the extra patties. Yummerz :)

16. Pingback: Sharing the {link} Love – May | simple.savvy.strong

17. kathy from commodorehotellinden.com on said:

These sound fantastic! Can’t wait to try them with the sweet potatoes from our garden, and serve them in our restaurant this week. Thanks for your lovely blog and truly inspiring recipes.

18. Pingback: Battle Food #1 BURGER | Les goûts et les couleurs

19. Pingback: Crispy Sweet Potato Burgers « Food-Fitness-FreshAir

20. Pingback: 28/11/12 « wandererlust

21. mark on said:

I tried these since I’m always looking for alternatives to burgers, especially vegan/gluten free alternatives (I used a combination of rice cakes and corn chips combo crumbled via the food processor in lieu of panko). The finished burgers were wet, very wet and the sogginess did not bake away. I was tempted to add some oatmeal to help absorb the moisture but was afraid of the heaviness of the finished product. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? I did bake them in my countertop toaster oven but I don’t that should have made a difference.

Hi Mark,

If you’re gluten free (and don’t want to use panko), I would try crumbling up some gluten free bread to make bread crumbs — that should absorb moisture better than rice cakes and corn chips. And then I would just add more breadcrumbs if the patties seem to wet. I would be afraid that oatmeal might become gummy and, yes, maybe a bit heavy.

Also, I would really suggest baking them in a regular oven… Mine were pretty moist in the middle but still crispy, not soggy around the edges. (I find a lot of veggie burgers are dry so I liked them that way). I’m not super familiar with toaster ovens but I’m guessing they would bake more thoroughly in a stronger oven.

22. Pingback: Nourished Noshing: Sweet Potato « the loud and clear

23. Jennifer on said:

I made these tonight, the only difference was that I used tarragon in place of rosemary because I did not have rosemary, and I used whole wheat bread crumbs because that’s just what we use in my household. They were AWESOME. My meat loving (and former sweet potato hating) hubbs loved them, my one year old girl loved them and my three year old son loved them! I also loved them ;)The kids ate them alone (no bread or toppings, just cut up in pieces) and both had seconds. My hubbs and I ate them on the Ezekiel sesame bread, lightly toasted with sauteed mushroom, onion and spinach, and Emril’s New York deli style mustard. The mustard was a great complement to the sweetness. YUMMMM!!! Definitely a keeper :) Thank you!

wow, so glad everyone liked them! I’ve been eating everything with mustard lately, so I’ll have to try that next time for sure :)

24. Pingback: sweet potato burgers | adventures of the ordinary

25. Pingback: Sweet Potato Tofu Burgers with tons of toppings

26. Pingback: 8 Favorite Whole Food Blogs | LifeScoop

27. Pingback: 25 Gourmet Veggie Burgers

28. Pingback: Brynteg Farm » Sweet Potato Recipes

29. Pingback: Kasvispihvit ja tilli-dijonkastike » 52 Weeks of Deliciousness

30. Lucie on said:

Hi! I really wish I could try these (I love sweet potatoes and the burgers look delicious!) But unfortunately I am allergic to soy! Is there any good substitute for the tofu??

Thank you so much!

Love, Lucie

31. Charlotte on said:

Just want to say that I printed this recipe off at Christmas time and have used it ever since! My absolute favourite vegan burger recipe – thank you for sharing :)

Hi Charlotte, that’s so great to hear! Thanks for sharing!

32. Pingback: Vegan Sweet Potato Tofu Burgers {Gluten-Free}