Kale, mushroom & white bean stew

It’s Food Matters¬†Project Monday, and this one might be a stretch. This week’s pick was coq au vin, and while I’m surely on board with the vin part, chicken isn’t my thing and I wasn’t all that inspired to try a vegetarian version of it.

Jack and I were out at dinner on Friday night and he just so happened to order coq au vin (what are the odds?). Never having tried the dish before I became vegetarian, I was surprised to see that it looked just like a rustic mushroom stew. So I took some Tuscan inspiration, and decided to make a mushroom, white bean, tomato and kale stew the next night. It turned out to be the perfect thing for a cool night and a low-key Saturday dinner at home on our patio.

Cooking the mushrooms with wine (and also a little balsamic), gave it a nice zing that balanced the hearty mushrooms and cannelli beans. Serve it with a nice bottle of red wine and some crusty bread.

serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
1.5 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch of kale, chopped (about 4-5 cups)
4 cups veggie broth
1 can diced tomatoes, including the juice
1 can cannelli beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup wine (red or white, whatever you’re drinking)
splash of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
salt & pepper
fresh basil, for garnish
pecorino cheese, for shaving on top (optional)

METHOD:
In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and a few pinches of salt and saute until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, mushrooms and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms have cooked down (3-5 or more minutes).

Deglaze the pan with white wine, stir to get any bits that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute or so. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, beans and broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or so.

Add kale and simmer for 5 or so more minutes.

Taste and adjust seasonings. At this point, I added a generous amount of salt, and few grinds of pepper.

Top with chopped fresh basil and shavings of pecorino cheese.

Serve with crusty bread and red wine.

1. Margarita from letscookandbefriends.blogspot.com on said:

Yum! I always love a good bean recipe! This is a very beautiful and creative twist.

2. This looks great and similar to what I planning for next week’s cassoulet!

3. Evi from fifthfloorkitchen.wordpress.com on said:

I think this is still really good! And anything cooked with wine will always be delicious, right? =)

4. Cookie + Kate from cookieandkate.com on said:

I was totally stumped by this week’s recipe and didn’t even attempt a vegetarian take on it. I am inspired by this stew, however! Looks amazing.

5. Sarah from snixykitchen.wordpress.com on said:

This soup looks delicious and comforting. I love your photos!

6. Caitlin from theveganchickpea.blogspot.com on said:

i love that you made a vegetarian version of the dish! i never even heard of coq au vin before. i’m sure this version is better than the original.

7. Vicky from avocadopesto.wordpress.com on said:

Sounds like a perfect healthy meat-less stew!

8. Eileen from hampiesandwiches.blogspot.com on said:

White beans and kale–one of my favorite combinations. This sounds very rustic and northern Italian, especially with the pecorino garnish!

9. Sindy from to2sassy.blogspot.com on said:

This recipe was so exactly what I needed. I get a CSA box every week and though I LOVE greens I am running out of ways to use them (I will be glad when the spring/summer produce starts) I used mixed greens in this and then threw in some turnips and golden beets just to use them up. It was so totally yummy! I love to prove to people that healthy can taste good!

10. Cory Anne on said:

Delicious! Made this for dinner last night and it was great. However, I didn’t have wine on hand so I opted to go a little heavier on the balsamic to deglaze. This still gave the mushrooms a nice kick! Next time I am going to make this with butter beans. Thanks for the great inspiration this will become a regular in my quick dinner repertoire.

Great idea, I love balsamic…

11. Lori P. on said:

Made this tonight. It was so fast to cook and absolutely delicious!

12. Pingback: Disaster Soup with Kale & Mushrooms | Keeping It Real Food

13. TheGrubDaily from thegrubdaily.com on said:

So excited to try this recipe for dinner tonight, although while making it, I struggled with the directions because you never said when to add the kale!! I did it with the broth and beans, but it might be a helpful edit for others! I cannot wait for it to finish cooking. Smell amazing!

Hi,

It’s there in the 3rd step. I like to add it near the end so the kale retains some of it’s vibrant green color. Hope you liked!

14. Kristin on said:

This is so good! Thanks for sharing :)