vegan carrot cake jars

My mom came to visit last week, so the first order of priority (as always) was to make Jack a carrot cake. She wanted to make cake jars this time, aren’t they cute? Perfect for a picnic, or perhaps to sell out of a truck? We’ve been brainstorming about a family cheesecake truck for years but these would be way easier.

I had some leftover vegan cream cheese on hand, so we made these vegan this time.

We did a whole bunch of cooking together, so get ready for a whole slew of mom recipes!

CAKE:
2 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup almond milk (or vegan egg replacer)
1 lb. carrots (chopped)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon cinnamon

FROSTING:
4 oz. tofutti cream cheese
4 T. vegan butter
3 C. powdered sugar
1-2 T. non-dairy milk
1 t. vanilla

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In food processor, combine sugar, oil, and applesauce. Pulse for 10-20 seconds. Using the shredder disk, shred carrots into the mixture.

Transfer carrot mixture to a mixing bowl. Add dry ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until all ingredients are combined – about one minute.

Fill jars 1/2 way full. Makes about 12 jars. If you have more batter than jars, put the rest in a baking dish. Or if you don’t have any jars, bake them in whatever you like.

Place jars in a shallow baking dish with 1/2 inch of water at the bottom. The water bath will promote even cooking and prevent the jars from breaking. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when touched.

Cool and spoon a dab of frosting on top.

1. Laura from thefirstmess.com on said:

I love the sound of cake in a jar. The cuteness of it all is hard to resist. And (guilty pleasure time) I LOVE tofutti cream cheese in frosting. It’s too good. How do they make it so good?! Guh.

2. Stacy from delightfulcrumb.com on said:

You mention so many things that I love in this one post: carrot cake, visits from mothers, cream cheese frosting, things in jars, individual desserts. How can you go wrong with that much goodness??

3. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

Awe, these cake jars are so very cute! I am excited to try the vegan cream cheese icing. This is definitely going on my priority list of things to try. Thanks for sharing! :) Hope you are having a nice week!

Thanks! It works pretty much the same as regular cream cheese icing – no one would ever even know the difference :)

4. Tina from arlenelanevintage.etsy.com on said:

Mmmm, How long do you think these would keep?

They won’t keep all that long, just like regular cake. Maybe 4 or 5 days max.

5. Cookie + Kate from cookieandkate.com on said:

Fun! I love carrot cake, but so far I’ve only made a super decadent, layered carrot cake for a friend’s baby shower. Your recipe looks much healthier and I have no doubt that it could taste just as good as the other! I wish I could have fun cooking with my mom in the kitchen but she’s not much of a cook! I love her anyway. :)

6. Lara on said:

What fun! How long do you cook them for? In a water bath? Wondering about glass breakage…

Oops! I forgot to include those things… I just updated the recipe. We cooked them for 30 minutes, (but my oven takes longer than most – check around 20 mins). We did put them in a dish with a 1/2 inch water bath to prevent breakage.

7. Jacqui from goodthingsgrow.com on said:

Oh yum! This is my kind of carrot cake and they’re so cute in little jars too!

8. Katherine from katherinekean.blogspot.com on said:

This looks fun! I can’t wait to try.

9. Jeanine,
    Stumbled here from Foodgawker and I’m loving it.. You have such a beautiful calming space, love the design…
    And so glad to find so many vegan recipes…
    Carrot cake is one of my favorites and I almost always use apple sauce as an egg substitute.

10. Jenn on said:

Cute!! I had a craving to make cake last week and put them in little jars too– so much fun to eat and serve :)

11. Pingback: Ideas for Easter & Spring Eats | a Couple Cooks

12. Kasia from ladymorgiana.wordpress.com on said:

i really love this recipe :) looks so easy and rewarding

13. Pingback: Vegetarian Easter Menu Ideas |

14. Daniella on said:

Oh my gosh. I am so excited to make these. This must happen tonight! lol. One question, when you say “oil” what kind would you recommend? Thanks!

P.S. I’m new to your site today and have looked through nearly your whole blog. everything looks amazing and so fresh. Inspiring! So glad I came across it.

Hi Daniella,

Welcome! I like to bake with coconut oil, but vegetable oil or canola oil also work just fine.

• Daniella on said:

Oh great, I have both those options at home. Thanks very much.

15. Leslie on said:

If I don’t have almond milk (and don’t want to buy it just for this recipe), what would I sub in? An egg, since it calls for egg substitute? I’m vegetarian, not vegan, so I’m fine with a non-vegan substitute.

Hi Leslie,

Just use regular milk, whatever kind you have (it’s my mom’s recipe and she uses skim milk). And use and egg if you like, I use an egg in this all the time… I just try to accomodate for the vegans when possible.

• Leslie on said:

Thanks so much!

16. Pingback: carrot muffins with coconut whip | Love and Lemons

17. Pingback: Vegetarian Easter Menu Ideas

18. Joshua Lepley from joshualepley.com on said:

Everything about your blog is beautiful. The design, photos and rich content combine to make a top notch food blog. Gorgeous.

19. Mariana on said:

Hi!
    I have a question, how do I make the frosting? Just mixing everything at once? Sorry if it is a silly question hehe. LOVE your blog,

Thank you!

oops! Yep, just mix it with an electric stand or hand mixer, add the milk only as needed.

thanks!