brussels sprout & red onion pizza

Last week, it was brussels sprouts in pasta… this week I bring you the wonder of brussels sprouts on pizza. This is such a fancy, grown-up pizza combination. Clumps of fresh melty mozzarella, thin shavings of brussels sprouts and ribbons of red onions… all topped on the perfect soft yet crispy-edged crust brushed with a little garlic oil.

For this post, I was trying to think back to a special homemade pizza story to share… I’m half Italian, yet I hardly have a childhood memory of my dad in the kitchen tossing dough in the air. (The only culinary technique my dad ever taught us was to make a cut in your hot dog to put cheese into before you pop it in the microwave.)

And then I thought of it. We had these childhood friends, Chrissie & Michelle, whose house was the mecca of processed food – they introduced us to things like Dorrito’s, Double Stuffed Oreos and dry little muffins that came in wrappers. But our favorite thing was the Chef Boyardee pizza box (I hope this product is not still on the market). It was some sort of highly conditioned just-add-water dough that got topped with the pre-packaged sauce and pre-shredded cheese. We would make this for lunch and play “restaurant”. My sister Karen was the “chef”, and I designed the menus (I was a graphic designer, even back then). We’d sit around the table, four skinny little girls wolfing down two huge baking-sheet sized pizzas and a bottle of orange pop (yes, pop).

Who would ever imagine that I’d grow up to make and write about pizza with brussels sprouts?

(disclaimer: I don’t endorse, condone, nor personally consume any of the brands listed above).

from Bon Appetit, March 2012

RECIPE:

dough:
I made this no-knead dough recipe from Bon Appetit. Note, that this needs to be mixed together and rest for 18 hours, so be sure to start the day before.

I made half of the dough recipe, and rolled it out into 4 personal-sized pizza’s. I made 2, and saved the last 2 in the fridge and used them a few days later.

toppings: (amount for approx. 1 personal sized pizza)
garlic-oil, for brushing (put a little garlic in a little olive oil and let sit for a few minutes)
fresh mozzerella – as much or little as you like
4 or 5 brussel sprouts (for 1 pizza), shaved thin on a mandoline
1/4 red onion (or so), also shaved thin on a mandoline
crushed red pepper flakes, optional

Follow the baking instructions in BA’s dough recipe.

1. erin from naturallyella.com on said:

It’s amazing to see how far eating habits have changed. I remember being excited for sleepovers because that usually meant pizza rolls or going to the skating rink because that meant mini pizzas! (clearly I had and still have a thing for pizza) Oh, and of course pop!

This pizza sounds wonderful (and much more suited for my “adult” taste!)

2. la domestique from ladomestique.com on said:

Ah Chef Boyardee pizza box! My mother always used it to make her “junkyard pizza” topped with hamburger meat, olives, and cheese. :) Your Brussels sprout pizza looks much better, though!

3. Nicole Franzen from nicolefranzen.blogspot.com on said:

that looks delish.. pizza will always be my weakness

4. I’m totally with you on this one. As much as I abhor processed food these days, I have very fond memories of sitting around eating Cheez-Its, frozen pizzas, and M&M’s with can after can of Dr. Pepper with my girl friends in middle school. Those were the days! I read through Bon Appetit while traveling this weekend and thought Brussels sprouts on pizza was brilliant. Glad to see that you agree it’s a worthy pizza topping!

5. Courtney Jones from thefigtree.blogspot.com on said:

*hah* I remember loving the Chef Boyardee Pizza Box too! And I hated brussels sprouts. How times have changed. This pizza looks delicious!

6. Jaclyn on said:

This recipe is amazing. Made it last night with “Chebe” gluten free pizza crust (best GF crust I’ve ever had!!) and it turned out so good, I’m making it again tonight. It’s great as a main dish but I also thought it would be good as a compliment to any meal.

7. PaintRich on said:

Looking forward to trying this recipe, especially the dough.
    As far as your childhood epicurean pursuits, most of us ate stuff like that when we were young, and that today we’d look down our noses at, but hey, that’s part of the kid experience!

8. Lisa Marie from midwestveg.com on said:

I can honestly say that I’ve never heard of Chef Boyardee Pizza. It doesn’t sound like it would be good lol. Your pizza on the other hand looks amazing. I love me some brussels sprouts, but never tried adding them on top of my pizza. Must try this!

9. Adrienne from abigmouthful.com on said:

REALLY lovely blog. Glad to have discovered it!

10. Carrie from cucinadicarrie.wordpress.com on said:

I just made this and it is delicious! Although I love home-made dough, I didn’t have time tonight so I used a pre-made sprouted whole wheat pizza crust. It really gave it a nice nutty flavor with the rest of the ingredients. By the way, I am new to your site and love the design and photos. I’m excited to try more recipes :)

11. uma shankar from umakitchen.com on said:

hey you have a cute blog and nice recipes.

12. Billy from witandvinegar.com on said:

I’m definitely going to have to try this. ASAP.

13. Pingback: cauliflower crust pizza with fried eggs | Love and Lemons

14. Pingback: What I’m Craving (Pizza Edition) | Naturally Ella

15. Yum! I love brussels sprouts but never thought to put them on pizza. The brussels sprouts/red onion combo sounds perfect. Thanks for the delicious inspiration! :)

16. Pingback: Link Love – Happy Friday! |

17. Pingback: Link Love – Happy Friday!

18. Pingback: DINING IN | A GROWN UP PIZZA | simply start today