red pepper white bean spread

I made this spread (in sandwich form) as my contribution to The Food Matters Project this week. It’s a hummus-like spread that I slathered over little toasts and topped with arugula, cucumbers and scallions.

We ate these for lunch yesterday and then the leftover spread… well, that just got eaten by the spoonful. I love pestos and spreads like this because they’re so versatile. If we didn’t devour the whole batch in one sitting (I made a half batch – big mistake) I would have kept the extra around all week to put on my eggs, spread over roasted veggies, or snack on with pita triangles.

adapted from Mark Bittman’s Food Matters

2 cups cooked cannellini beans
2 garlic cloves
1 c. walnuts
4 roasted red bell peppers
1 c. fresh basil, optional
½ c. olive oil
juice of half a medium lemon
salt & pepper, to taste

In a food processor, pulse everything together except the olive oil, lemon juice and basil. Next, add olive oil, lemon, basil, and process until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.

If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.

1. Joanne from on said:

Mmm I can definitely see how some citrus would have brightened this up! I might just have to add some to my leftovers!

2. That is SUCH a beautiful photo – like the pages of a magazine. I love dips/spreads of this sort, as well…such versatility!

3. erin from on said:

This truly is worthy of eating with a spoon (but would have been delicious to eat on eggs!) Lovely photo as always!

4. This looks amazing, I am so obsessed with red pepper dips and spreads right now, so this couldn’t come at a better time. I just made an eggplant roasted red pepper dip a couple of weeks ago. I’ll definitely have to try this! Your photos are absolutely beautiful, by the way.

5. Yeah, white beans! I can’t stop myself with them lately. We’re on the same page there and with the lemons. Acid always helps :)

6. NICOLE from on said:

7. So tasty. I love your little toasts. You are really gifted at food photography and styling, Jeanine. So glad you’re participating in the project!

8. Courtney Jones from on said:

Gorgeous photo! wow! :) You are truly talented!
    Looks like the perfect light sandwich that is not lacking on flavour.

9. Love your presentation! So lovely. As is this pesto. I’m obsessed with its goodness.

10. Pingback: Week 3 in Review | the food matters project

11. vegantester from on said:

i have a can of butter beans to use up – is that an okay sub for the cannellini beans?

• jeanine from on said:

Yes, I’m sure butter beans will work just the same. Chickpeas would work too.

12. Pingback: Vegetarian Moussaka - Munchin with Munchkin

13. Cassie on said:

This was w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l! Great recipe adaptation. Thanks for this. Definitely make a whole batch. You’ll need it!

• jeanine from on said:

so glad you liked it!

14. Cattie from on said:

This sounds delicious! But what, if anything, could you replace the nuts with? I’m allergic to them unfortunately…

• jeanine from on said:

Hi Cattie,

Skip the nuts and it’ll be more of a roasted red pepper hummus… I’d start with 1 roasted red pepper (4 is probably way too many for that amount of beans). And probably use 1/4 cup of olive oil instead of 1/2. Let me know if you try that and how it works out!

15. Pingback: Climbing Grier Mountain » ten ways to toast the day