chocolate-nutmeg cake doughnuts

This is the story of Goldilocks and the 3 batches of doughnuts. The first batch was tasty but ugly and definitely not camera-ready. Number two was cuter, but too spongey and airy, and batch #3 was just right. (After this post, we’ll be going back to salads to recover from all this doughnut “testing”).

These might not be your Dunkin’ or your Krispy variety, (come on, a little healthy baked doughnut can’t really compete with the deep fryer) but for hundreds of calories less they are a tasty little treat with a delicious flavor thanks to the coconut oil, almond flour, cinnamon and especially the fresh nutmeg. To our surprise, these were actually better the second day after the cocoa and the nutmeg flavors had some time to get to know each other better.

I should also add that the mini-doughnut pan, while cute, makes it hard to keep these little puppies moist. I got a nice result from a mini-muffin pan (making slightly larger sized “doughnut holes”). And I have yet to try out a regular sized doughnut pan because I don’t have one, but I might get one for next time.

makes about 24 mini doughnuts, 16 mini-muffins, or about 8 regular sized doughnuts.

1 cup flour(s) of your choice (I did half almond, half spelt).
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2.5 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used almond milk)
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg

Preheat oven to 400 and spray or grease a donut pan or mini-muffin pan.

Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the rest of the dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl, whisk all wet ingredients. (if your coconut oil is clumpy, melt it slightly).

Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring gently until just combined.

Fill doughnut pan, (don’t fill batter higher than 3/4 of the way up).

Bake for 5-7 minutes (possibly a bit longer if you are not using a regular sized doughnut pan). Doughnuts are done when they are puffed up in the oven. Be careful not to over-bake, especially if you’re making mini’s. They bake quick.

Let cool and dust with powdered sugar or glaze.

Quick glaze: 1 part milk (any kind) to roughly 4 parts powdered sugar, whisk together (add more powdered sugar or liquid if necessary to get a good glaz-ey consistency) and drizzle over cooled doughnuts.

1. Emily from backtothecuttingboard.com on said:

These look great! All of your photos are lovely. And I love that this is a healthier recipe. I don’t have a donut pan, but I do have a mini muffin pan so I will be trying these very soon.

2. Caitlin from theveganchickpea.com on said:

i love how low these are in fat and sugar compared to other donuts. and they look delicious!

3. I’ve never tried making doughnuts from scratch, but this recipe is tempting me to do so. And that photo, by the way, looks like it’s straight out of Bon Appetit. I’m impressed!

4. frannie from thoughtfulhearts.blogspot.com on said:

These sound wonderful. I may have all the ingredients to make these over the weekend.
    Just one question. Did you use a muffin pan and then cut out the donut hole?
    They sure are cute and look delicious.

nope, they just come out like little round puffs that look like doughnut holes (I didn’t photograph those). Since the middle isn’t cut out, they were just more moist than with the mini-doughnut pan. So technically they’d really be mini muffins.

5. Kasey from turntablekitchen.com on said:

Gorgeous photos, delicious sounding donuts and a beautiful site. So glad I found you!

6. Valerie from unegaminedanslacuisine.com on said:

These look scrumptious! I actually think that baked doughnuts taste better than their fried cousins (plus, you can get away with eating more.)
    I just found you via Tastespotting…I was drawn in by your site’s name! I’m kind of obsessed with lemons too. :D

7. Sam from cookquiltmakeandbake.wordpress.com on said:

Oh wow, I’ve always been to scared to make my own donuts, but these seem do-able and look really good in the photos! We have just started a new series on our blog called ‘Sam and Phil’s Monthly Cookie Swap’ , and we would love for you to stop by and link these brownies in our comment section!
    Sam x

8. Nom, nom, nom. I like Goldilocks and I think I would looove these little brown bears. What sort of chocolate would you recommend dipping them in? Because I don’t know if I can have a doughnut without a glazey chocolate.

9. susan from theurbanbaker.com on said:

these look delicious. i love that there is spelt flour in them! I am making these asap!

10. Yvonne from Dailydeliberations.com on said:

These are awesome! I baked them in a mini muffin pan and they came out great. I used almond and oat flour and coconut milk. I love how versatile your recipes are and that it is easy to use different combinations of flours.

One question, though – the directions include baking soda but the ingredient list does not. Was this supposed to be included?

11. Camille Fleur on said:

Oh my! I have just tried this recipe and it was delicious and healthy at the same time! I tried it in a muffin pan and it was great.I will redo it again, but next time with the glazing!

12. Sharron on said:

I just made these with a combination of oat and almond flours. Delicious! I saw a reference to baking soda in the directions but none in the ingredients list. I used a scant 1/4 tsp.