mushroom & carmelized onion polenta

This is a total mushroom lovers’ comfort meal… creamy polenta and an herby saute of mushrooms and onions. Pour a glass of red wine, and we’re in heaven.

Any mushrooms you like will work here… I love to wait until I see some great looking chanterelles or oyster mushrooms at my market… but they can often be pricey so I like to mix the “fancier” mushrooms with less-expensive crimini mushrooms.

serves 2

While you’re at it, you can make extra polenta and put the leftovers a shallow baking pan, slice into cubes the next day and bake or fry.

INGREDIENTS:

polenta:
1 cup veg stock
1 cup soy milk (or neutral flavored milk of your choice)
1/2 – 1 cup water, as needed
1/2 cup quick cooking polenta
1 tablespoon earth balance (or butter or olive oil)
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
1/4 cup grated pecorino (optional, if vegan, just omit, or sub with nutritional yeast)

mushroom saute:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups mushrooms – I used a mix of chanterelles and crimini’s
1/2 sweet yellow onion, sliced in thin strips.
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon agave, or sugar of your choice
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper

METHOD:
Pour veg stock and polenta into a medium saucepan, stir to combine, and bring to a gentle boil. Immediately reduce heat to a very low simmer. Stirring occasionally, continue to add milk gradually as the polenta gets thicker. Add minced garlic, a few pinches of salt. Continue gradually adding the rest of the milk and then water (as needed) and stirring for up to 45 minutes. You can quit earlier if you like, but I found that 45 minutes created a creamier texture than when I stirred for only 20 minutes (which does still work, you’ll just need to add less liquid liquid). Taste and adjust seasonings as you go. Add grated pecorino if you wish or nutritional yeast (or nothing, it’s still creamy without it) if vegan. Polenta is done when it starts pulling away from the sides of the pot.

When the polenta has about 10 minutes left, start the mushroom saute.

Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, garlic and a few generous pinches of salt and a grind of pepper. Cook for 5 or 6 minutes or until onions and mushrooms cook down and caramelize.

Deglaze pan with a splash of balsamic vinegar, add sugar and saute for another few minutes. Add fresh thyme leaves.

Plate polenta and mushroom saute. Top grated pecorino (if using), and serve.

1. Not sure if my first comment went through… oops! But I wrote that the lusciousness of this dish comes through in your photos. Although I have tried to make polenta, mine is never creamy but it is probably the polenta I am using. And my mouth is watering with the mushroom saute! Lovely.

2. Caitlin from theveganchickpea.com on said:

i haven’t had polenta in ages and i have been missing it for months! but, everytime i go to whole foods i just can’t seem to find any..

i love that you made such a creamy polenta dish and that you topped it with mushrooms..i just love mushrooms. and your photography is gorgeous!

• Jill on said:

According to Rachel Ray polenta must be stirred and stirred until its done. I have been too chicken to try but this recipe has changed my mind!

3. This polenta looks delicious! I’m a huge fan, but often forget all about it when preparing meals. Will definitely have a go at this though :-)

4. Sarah from snixykitchen.wordpress.com on said:

Mmm….polenta with mushrooms is my favorite combination! Now I’m hungry!

5. Denise from tlt-thelittlethings.com on said:

I think soft polenta makes for an ultimate bowl/plate of comfort food. Love your pictures. I often make something similar, but add a little goat cheese as well. It’s a great combination I think.

6. This looks so good! I’ve never tried polenta before but, after seing this, I just have to!

7. Jordan on said:

If you can’t find the finer milled polenta, you could probably just put the regular polenta in the food processor for a few seconds.

8. Jacqui from sogoodandtasty.blogspot.com on said:

I’ve haven’t had polenta in forever! I need to change that. Love your recipe!

9. Wow this looks amazing and I love that it is so creamy with little to no dairy in it! Polenta is one of my favorites, but my hubby doesn’t care for it, so I rarely eat it. I need to change that.
    Beautiful photos BTW!

10. I love polenta with mushrooms! It’s such a wonderful combination. Gorgeous photos, I’m so happy to have discovered your beautiful blog!

11. I have been dying to have polenta! I’ve never tasted them but this recipe seemed fabulous!

12. Yey – I have been looking for more polenta recipes and this looks absolutely delicious. Might even convert the other half to polenta yet with this! I am definitely going to try it.

13. Nicole Franzen from nicolefranzen.blogspot.com on said:

This looks divine! Love creamy polenta with the richness of the mushrooms. Yum! I too need to nail that polenta, I’ve never got it just right.

14. Floortje on said:

I just made this – never made or ate polenta before in my life – and it was super delicious!! I almost forgot to put the graded cheese on, I think it does add that necesarry savory bite. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

15. My mouth is watering already! Such a wonderful flavour combination, paired with some beautiful photos! Can’t wait to try this one myself…

-Shannon

16. Diane S on said:

Oh looking at the rest of the recipes and noticed this one. I also tried this and it is the only polenta dish my husband likes. Again Delicious, made exactly as she said used the cheese. Just right for 2 people.

17. Pingback: Go Wild - Market Square – Your Neighborhood Market

18. Pingback: housewifery « optimists anonymous

19. Pingback: Ingredient Combo: Kale and Mushrooms | Why Buy the Cow When You Don't Drink the Milk

20. Jessica Ann on said:

I picked up “pre-cooked” polenta at Whole Foods. Do I still do the first couple steps for the polenta? I could not find quick cooking, just pre cooked!

Hi Jessica, I’m pretty sure pre-cooked and quick cooking are the same thing, you should be just fine to follow the directions as-is.

21. Jessica Ann on said:

Ok great, thank you! The package didn’t really give specific instructions so I wasn’t sure if I was to follow your instructions or not

22. Jessica Ann on said:

shoot, yes it’s in a tube! Whoops
    Maybe we’ll put the caramelized mushroom & onions over something else… quinoa?

23. Jessica Ann on said:

I’ve never made polenta so this was definitely an experiment!

24. Jessica Ann on said:

perfect! thanks for the help and for sharing your recipes! Your blog is beautiful by the way

25. Pingback: mushroom and caramelized onion polenta | things i made today

26. Bonnie from veghot.com on said:

This looks so comforting! I can’t wait to make it!

27. Donna on said:

Try Alton Brown’s polenta recipe, almost no stirring required!

28. Paula on said:

You have 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance in the polenta ingredients section but I don’t see where it’s used in your directions. At what point should it be added in?

29. Kim from Kimtracyprince.com on said: