Beets & chickpeas w/ jalapeno yogurt

There are few foods in this world (very few) that Jack won’t eat. While I’ve won him over on some (hello asparagus!), beets remain on his “absolutely-not” list. I have a stockpile of recipes I’m saving for when he goes out of town, but when my friend Hollie came over for lunch last week, I had just the thing…

This hearty salad is everything Hollie and I love all in one bowl… bright arugula, smoky-garlicky chickpeas, and juicy beets topped with a generous dollop of tangy jalapeño yogurt, a garnish of cilantro, and an unexpected indian-ness from the sprinkled brown mustard seeds.

Stay tuned for future non-Jack lunches which will include tomato soup in many variations, avocado overload, and most likely some more beets.

serves 2 as a large meal, 3-4 as a side.
adapted from nytimes.com

INGREDIENTS:

beet & chickpea salad:
1 pound beets (about 4 or 5 medium sized beets)
a few handfuls of arugula
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper

jalapeño yogurt sauce:
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I like icelandic skyr yogurt, but greek is fine too)
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon lime juice, more to taste
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
additional salt and pepper to taste

garnish with:
1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

METHOD:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Wrap beets in foil, roast for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. When beets are roasted, let cool to room temperature while you make everything else. When beets are cooled, slice and set aside.

Mince 2 cloves of garlic, set half aside for the yogurt sauce.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, coriander and cumin and let the spices cook for 30 seconds until aromatic but not burnt. Add chickpeas and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mix all yogurt sauce ingredients together. Add water one tablespoon at a time if it’s too thick. Taste and adjust seasonings. (salt, pepper, sweetness, spice). If your jalapeño was too spicy, add a dash of white wine vinegar.

Plate salad: arugula, followed by beets and spiced chickpeas. Add a dollop of yogurt sauce and garnish with cilantro and brown mustard seeds.

Serve with naan bread and extra yogurt sauce on the side.

1. tara from sevenspoons.net on said:

um, YUM! I’ll happily take Jack’s share, if he’d like.

2. SDRosie on said:

What great eye candy to look at. Makes me want to try making salads more often (despite my dislike for greens). Would you mind telling me what it’s like to taste a yellow radish (i.e. is it mild, sweet, tangy, etc)?

3. That is one gorgeous plate of food! I have not yet learned to love beets, and I actually think I’m mildly allergic to them, so I’m not sure it’ll ever happen! I’m all on board with chickpeas and jalapeño yogurt, though. Yum.

4. Cheryl from atthefarmersmarket.com on said:

This looks so lovely. I’m going to try it this weekend.

5. Pingback: Friday food links « heartful mouthful

6. Pingback: Baked tomato cheese & bread soup | Love and Lemons

7. Pingback: Link Love – Happy Friday! |

8. Sarah on said:

Hi I just discovered your blog and I’m loving everything on here!

I’m a UK reader and just had to google cilantro as sometimes we use different words (zucchini = courgette, arugula = rocket etc.) it said that cilantro is coriander but I notice in this recipe that you used both coriander and cilantro so now I’m a bit confused!

• Jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

Hi Sarah,

Welcome! Yes, what you call coriander, we call cilantro. What we call coriander are dried seeds of the cilantro plant. (you get them in the dried spice section). Try to find them already ground (in powder form) unless you like to grind your own spices.

• Sarah on said:

Thanks Jeanine. You’re giving me so much recipe inspiration. I can’t wait to try them out.

9. Nicole on said:

Looks fantastic! Would love to Pin this to my recipe board, but alas, I’m on an iPad and there’s no “pin” button on the page. Please consider adding one. :). Love your blog!

we just added the pin button to the site, I know it works on the iphone… will check it on the ipad this weekend, thanks!

10. Rhiannon on said:

This was such a hit tonight! A beautiful plate of food you can feel good about.

I’m so glad!

11. Rebecca Knight from drrebeccaknight.com on said:

How can someone not like beets? It’s not like they have a strong taste or did I read it was a by product of a fad diet once? Well sorry to hear that, my husband has not only a dislike but an actual phobia of mayonnaise. It’s like kryptonite to him. Not scared of anything so far as I can tell except mayonnaise. I bet it was a spoiled potato salad story but he won’t even talk about it. When it comes to mayo or miracle whip he’s got issues!

Hi Rebecca, yes he actually was forced onto a beet fad diet once which is why he won’t eat them :)