Kale chips with miso dipping sauce

I find that I have a weekly quota of kale that I must get into my diet. When I’m not incorporating it into a meal, rest assured I will find a way to get it on the side.┬áLast night, I threw together this little sauce that nicely offset the bitterness of the charred kale.

The only caveat is that crispy kale doesn’t exactly hold up like a potato chip. I found that the way to eat this is to dip it very carefully and then kind of shove the whole thing in your mouth with the palm of your hand before it has the chance to crumble all over you. Jack assured me that this was very attractive to watch.

INGREDIENTS:
1 bunch of curly green kale
olive oil for drizzling
a few pinches of salt and pepper

dipping sauce:
3 teaspoons mayo (I use this brand, which is not actually real mayo)*
1 teaspoon white miso paste
1 teaspoon agave syrup (or honey or another sugar of your choice)
1/2 a small garlic clove
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
* optional, a squeeze of lemon (there’s lemon in the mayo product I use, if I was using regular mayo I might try 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice.

* use vegan mayo to make this vegan – there are plenty of good tasting ones.

METHOD:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Wash and completely dry kale. Cut off stems and chop into chip-sized pieces. You’ll want to err on the larger size because they break easily after they’re crisped.

Spread kale leaves onto 2 baking sheets, drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Don’t go too nuts on the salt because the dipping sauce is salty. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crispy. (time will vary depending on your oven and they burn quickly so be sure to check on them often).

Meanwhile mix together ingredients for the sauce. Taste and adjust to your liking. If it’s too salty, add more sugar, if you like more garlic, add more garlic. If it’s not bright enough, add a small squeeze of lemon. I didn’t think of it last night, but a bit of minced fresh ginger would be nice too.

1. beti from betivanilla.blogspot.com on said:

it is such a nice way of eating kale, the sauce is a great idea!

2. Caitlin from theveganchickpea.blogspot.com on said:

i just found your blog and i love the style! also, kale is my favorite leafy green and your kale chips and dipping sauce look amazing. i will definitely be giving these a try ;)

3. jeanine from loveandlemons.com on said:

Thanks! I just started, so that means so much. Funny, I actually almost named my blog a name with chickpea in it :)

• Caitlin from theveganchickpea.blogspot.com on said:

well, your blog is lovely. and the pictures are gorgeous, too! and..well..chickpeas are so versatile and delicious, i can understand that you almost named your blog after them ;)

4. Aggie from aggieskitchen.com on said:

I’m obsessed with kale chips. I seriously could eat them every day. Love this dipping sauce!! Great pictures!

5. Shelly from flexitariancouple.com on said:

I recently made kale chips for the first time and loved them. I will try this dip. Thanks!
    Shelly

6. Jenna on said:

I made this exactly as directed and they completely burned! Is your oven really weak?

Hi Jenna, so sorry to hear this didn’t work out. You really have to watch them because the time will depend on your oven (vs. mine)… and the time could also vary depending on the size of your kale. I’m going to add a line to the recipe instructions to make that a little more clear. Maybe check them after 8 minutes, and check again a few minutes later? They’re done when they’re just crispy.

7. Heidi on said:

I tried these, but after baking at 450 for just 15 minutes, they were brown and over-crispy to the point of bitterness. You were able to cook them for 20 minutes at 450? I’m just trying to figure out what I did wrong… Or perhaps I just got an extra bitter bunch of kale. Thanks!

8. Gretchen on said:

I just tried these as well and after only 15 min nearly burned my house down they were so burned and smoking. I will attempt again but maybe for 10 this time

9. Pingback: Top 10 Pinterest Recipes of 2012 « It's Just Us

10. Sweetque on said:

I had the same problem. 450 degrees and 15 minutes in my gas oven and they were burned to a crisp. :(

you really have to watch them, it can vary depending on your oven (or even the size of your kale). Thanks for the feedback, I’ll change the recipe to explain that better since others have had problems too.

11. Bon on said:

I accidentally over-salted a bunch of crispy kale and made it too salty to eat. Couldn’t stand to waste it, so crunched it all up and am using it as a condiment, much like Furikake (Japanese condiment usually consisting of sesame seeds, seaweed and salt). My kale has sesame seeds in the mix, so it is nice on all kinds of things and gets that dark leafy green into your body. Especially good on eggs and on mac and cheese.

ooh that sounds delicious… What a great idea to save it!

12. Pingback: Seasonal Tastes: April | Suppers From Scratch

13. Pingback: Seasonal Tastes: April ¶ Suppers From Scratch

14. Kelli from nomappetit.com on said:

I love the combination of kale and miso. I also love that you can eat a ton of these and not feel guilty. I do a similar take on kale chips with miso, but my dipping sauce includes greek yogurt. http://www.nomappetit.com/?p=253